Thread: my take on the draft

Default my take on the draft

There are a lot of mock drafts and big boards out there that just seem like garbage to me. I understand the national media doesn't spend a lot of time looking at us, but it just seems silly that people who hardly know our situation are making picks for us. I am only going two rounds deep here, focusing on starters, not depth. My take on our needs:

Quarterback: we could use some competition here, however there is no value at pick 11. If we can trade back I really like Brandon Weeden late in the first/early in the second. He can start day one and is better than Cassell.

Running back and Full back: We are set.

Wide receiver and Tight end: we are set.

Offensive tackle: we are set.

Guard/Center: if we stay at pick 11 David DeCastro is the best pick. He can step in and start day one, which would also improve our depth because Lilja can move around the interior line. The other option is trading back and picking up Peter Konz (center) or Kevin Zeitler (guard) in the late first/early second. Either one should start immediately, leaving Rodney Hudson to start in the open guard/center postion.

Defensive end: we are set

Nose tackle: this is our biggest need, yet there is no value at pick 11. I can see us drafting a rotational guy in the second, like Alameda Ta'amu, but I don't see a clear starter.

Outside linebacker: we are set

Inside linebacker: this is a position of possible need. We could use some competition at strong inside linebacker, but there isn't very good value at pick 11. Luke Kuechly is not big enough to play strong side, he would be DJ's backup. I like Dont'a Hightower if we can trade back to the end of the first round.

Cornerback: we need one more good cornerback. Stephon Gilmore or Dre Kirkpatrick would take over either the #2 or 3 cb spot, giving us Flowers/Routt/Rookie/Arenas. The value at pick 11 isn't terrible, but I would rather see us trade back to the 15-20 range for one of these guys.

Safety and special teams: we are set.

Cliff notes:

If we stay at 11 draft DeCastro
    If we trade back to 15-20 draft Kirkpatrick or Gilmore
    If we trade back later draft Weeden, Zeitler, Konz, Hightower or Ta'amu

I agree if we stay @ #11 we draft Decastro. I disagree that Weeden is better day 1 than Cassel, but that would definitely be an interesting pick if he could start sooner than later.

As I said in the other post I am all but doubtful that Weeden is a day one starter. My thought is that he's Cassel 2.0. Agree with most of your other thoughts though.

I agree that the linebacker position should be a spot of focus. I also agree with your stance on picking someone like Hightower over Kuechly:

Chiefs First Round Pick: If They Choose a Linebacker | The Eggersonian