View Poll Results: Would removing the extra point be a good thing?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

0 0%
  • No

23 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remove the Extra Point?

Default Remove the Extra Point?

Would it be a good thing if the Extra Point after a Touchdown would be removed? And a touchdown was automatically 7 points.

Absolutely not. One of the best things the NFL did was bringing back the 2 point conversion in the late 80s. How exciting is it when a team comes back from 2 touchdowns down late in the game and then has to decide, "Do we kick the extra point to send it into overtime or go for 2 to win now?"

Julius Peppers is one of the best extra-point blockers in the game. Don't take that away from us Bears fans!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Absolutely not. One of the best things the NFL did was bringing back the 2 point conversion in the late 80s. How exciting is it when a team comes back from 2 touchdowns down late in the game and then has to decide, "Do we kick the extra point to send it into overtime or go for 2 to win now?"

Julius Peppers is one of the best extra-point blockers in the game. Don't take that away from us Bears fans!
    I'm not saying the 2 point conversion would be taken away, just the extra point. So once a team scores they could either keep the 7 or go for a 2 point conversion. A successful attempt will total 8 points (like usual) and a failed attempt will total 6 points (also like usual)

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    I'm not saying the 2 point conversion would be taken away, just the extra point. So once a team scores they could either keep the 7 or go for a 2 point conversion. A successful attempt will total 8 points (like usual) and a failed attempt will total 6 points (also like usual)
    That's weird. I can't think of any major sport where you would take away a point that is already on the scoreboard.

And even if they did that, it would still take away the chance to block an extra point. It's rarer than a successful onside kick, but when it happens, it's just as exciting. I've even seen extra points blocked and ran back the other way for 2 points. That's a 3 point swing.

I'm not in favor of making any point automatic or easier to get. Special teams are an integral part of the game. They are already trying to take away kickoffs. Only 1/3 as many kicks were returned last year as the year before. And there has even been some talk of taking away punt returns because they are almost as "dangerous" as kick returns. Every punt would automatically end in a fair catch. What's left? Field goals? Why not just award a team 3 points if they get inside the opponents 20 yd line? Then all you would have is regular plays from the line of scrimmage.

And the game would never be as good as it was.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    That's weird. I can't think of any major sport where you would take away a point that is already on the scoreboard.

And even if they did that, it would still take away the chance to block an extra point. It's rarer than a successful onside kick, but when it happens, it's just as exciting. I've even seen extra points blocked and ran back the other way for 2 points. That's a 3 point swing.

I'm not in favor of making any point automatic or easier to get. Special teams are an integral part of the game. They are already trying to take away kickoffs. Only 1/3 as many kicks were returned last year as the year before. And there has even been some talk of taking away punt returns because they are almost as "dangerous" as kick returns. Every punt would automatically end in a fair catch. What's left? Field goals? Why not just award a team 3 points if they get inside the opponents 20 yd line? Then all you would have is regular plays from the line of scrimmage.

And the game would never be as good as it was.
    Yea taking away a point WOULD be weird. Dont get me wrong im not in favour of this, i just wanted to know what people think. I sure hope they dont take away punts and/or kickoffs

Yup, me no likey.

this would be an absoulute dumb idea.no offense against the author at all .but for gawd sakes what ever happend to if it is not broke dont fix it .the nfl is perfectly fine as is now.even better a few years ago before they tried tweaking a rule here and there.LEAVE IT ALONE

Yeah, I would keep the extra point attempts. They seem pointless until they miss the kick! lol

The only thing the NFL needs to change about their games is the number of commercial breaks they have.

I'm an NFL junky and watch every game I can in full. Anymore, I record every game on the DVR and watch them later, so I can buzz through the commercials.

I haven't watched an NFL game live on TV in years. The key is to NOT talk to anyone, or get online until you watch the games. LOL I've stopped people mid-sentence... "DON'T TELL ME!!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs777 View Post
    Yeah, I would keep the extra point attempts. They seem pointless until they miss the kick! lol

The only thing the NFL needs to change about their games is the number of commercial breaks they have.

I'm an NFL junky and watch every game I can in full. Anymore, I record every game on the DVR and watch them later, so I can buzz through the commercials.

I haven't watched an NFL game live on TV in years. The key is to NOT talk to anyone, or get online until you watch the games. LOL I've stopped people mid-sentence... "DON'T TELL ME!!!"
    You dont watch chiefs games live?

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefs777 View Post

I do the same thing. You cut the time commitment in half to watch a game. Start the game at halftime and you end up watching the very end live because you skipped all of the commercials.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast