Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Default Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Sporting News is reporting that there is a lot of interest in USC's Matt Kahlil coming from Chiefs camp, and that there is talk that if the prospect falls past the Vikings, that the Chiefs are serious about moving up to #4 to draft him.

The report says the move makes sense, seeing as Albert only has 1 year left on his contract. The draft move would then cause a shift on the line, and have Albert move inside to LG.

We would then have a year to decide to re-sign Albert for the long term to man the LG position, or let him walk and still have Kahlil at a more reasonable salary.

What are the thoughts on this report?

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Not Sure?

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I actually did the math wrong here. It would only take the 2nd and 7th pick (550 pts). That would still give us 4 picks in rounds 3-6.

But I agree, Jrudi. If DeCastro and Kuechly are both gone at 11, then you have to trade down. But if we trade up to get Kalil, then it won't matter who is there at 11.

I'd rather trade down and gain picks than trade up and lose them. You can get some good value in later rounds. We only have a big need at 2 positions, OT and NT. The rest of our picks can be BPA / depth picks. That's a pretty good position to be in!
    You know to be honest I really wouldn't mind trading back and taking a guy like Cordy Glenn, because he has experience at both OT and OG...That would leave us options similar to what we would have with Kalil.

Now of course Kalil is a better prospect than Glenn, but we would then have Albert and Glenn that both have experience at both OG and OT, leaving us in a good position to lock up Albert if needed, or have his replacement in hand.

Quote Originally Posted by Jrudi View Post
    You know to be honest I really wouldn't mind trading back and taking a guy like Cordy Glenn, because he has experience at both OT and OG...That would leave us options similar to what we would have with Kalil.

Now of course Kalil is a better prospect than Glenn, but we would then have Albert and Glenn that both have experience at both OG and OT, leaving us in a good position to lock up Albert if needed, or have his replacement in hand.
    It's always great to have players that can play multiple positions on the o-line. The Bears signed FA Chris Spencer to take the place of C Olin Kreutz, but Garza did such a good job at C that they left him there. It didn't take long for Spencer to get plugged in at guard when Carimi was lost for the season, though. You usually only keep 8 or 9 O line players on the roster, so having guys that can play multiple positions is a must.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    It's always great to have players that can play multiple positions on the o-line. The Bears signed FA Chris Spencer to take the place of C Olin Kreutz, but Garza did such a good job at C that they left him there. It didn't take long for Spencer to get plugged in at guard when Carimi was lost for the season, though. You usually only keep 8 or 9 O line players on the roster, so having guys that can play multiple positions is a must.
    And if you really looked at it, we would also have Hudson who has experience at both OC and OG...

Lots of versatility on the line if we add Glenn

I am guessing that the Chiefs have been in discussions with Alberts Agent and given how upset he was that he did not make the Pro-bowl, make be expecting a contract that the Chiefs are not interested in pursuing. Just as they ignorantly did for Brandon Carr.

If they do make this type of move, it has to be for the fact that they don't think Albert will resign with the Chiefs next year.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I am guessing that the Chiefs have been in discussions with Alberts Agent and given how upset he was that he did not make the Pro-bowl, make be expecting a contract that the Chiefs are not interested in pursuing. Just as they ignorantly did for Brandon Carr.

If they do make this type of move, it has to be for the fact that they don't think Albert will resign with the Chiefs next year.
    Carr was a great #2 CB but now he's playing against top talent as their #1. I'm all but sure that Carr is going to get beat like a drum this year. He will get better but in his first year as a #1 he's probably going to have a similar year to Routt.

Albert may want to sign here but Albert is around top 10 talent which means that his agent is going to ask for top 3 or 5 money. Albert has been serviceable and I don't really have anything bad to say about him but I don't want to have to pay him monster money if we can draft someone just as good. Especially if we can get someone that would be even better than Albert.

Here's something else, maybe we trade away Albert to Minnesota and draft Khalil with our 1st. Then pick up a OG since everyone's been saying this years draft is so deep.

On a side note I love how almost every year the closer and closer we get to a draft you hear more and more people saying wow! the draft class this year is deep!. Anyway, if we did what I mentioned above yes we'd have an almost entirely new OLine but new doesn't necessarily mean bad. I mean it's not like the line won't have to learn a new offense anyway...end sarcasm.

I'm in favor of this move, but only if they are absolutely 100% certain that they think this can put us over the top. I remember in the past the Chiefs would do this and cost us valuable draft picks. (the Vermeil/Peterson days)

If it makes our running game so good that we just completely destroy teams, then I'm fine with it, even more so than Decastro, since Kalil is said to be a constant pro bowl caliber LT. We'll see what happens.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

can you say smokescreen all this is

Here's the thing: the Chiefs have a GOOD LT who has the capacity to be a GREAT OG. Chief QBs aren't going to lose sleep with Albert being their LT. He's fine at that spot. However, there's no guarantee that the Chiefs will be able to extend him. If the Vikings pass on Kalil at #3 overall, the Chiefs have the opportunity to shore up the 2nd most important position on a football team for the next 5 or more years by trading 2 or 3 picks. Plus, they'll get a MAJOR upgrade for at least 1 year at the OG spot by moving Albert.

Let's say the Chiefs trade their #1 pick this year and their #1 pick next year. Chances are, the Chiefs will be picking in the mid to late 20s next season, so it's not like they're trading 2 top 10 or 15 picks. They'll essentially be solidifying the LT spot by trading a LATE first round pick... I don't think that price is too high.

You're the GM... you try as much as you can to only deal with things you can control. Hypothetically speaking, the Chiefs could re-sign Albert in '13. But there's no guarantee. The Chiefs can control where they pick in the draft. The Chiefs can control a rookie LT for appx 5 years. The only way to control Albert is if you franchise him and pay him the average salary of the top 5 LTs... which, let's be honest... if they were willing to do that, he'd already be signed.

Let's say the Chiefs don't re-sign Albert after 2012. Would you rather have a good LT (Kalil) under control on a rookie salary with the potential to be great with a hole at OG and no first round pick....

OR

Would you rather have a good OG (DeCastro) with the potential to be great, the 27th-ish pick, and a hole at LT that could only be filled by signing a FA LT who wasn't good enough to warrant the contract he wanted from his original team. Great LTs like the one Kalil is projected to be, don't hit the open market, so you won't fill the void that way. Now, instead of having the #11 overall pick to barter, you only have the #27-ish pick with which to trade... this means, the cost by which you will be charged to move from 27-ish to the top 10 to select an elite LT is going to be MUCH more valuable. Moving from the late 20s to the top 5 or 10 will require an entire draft's value worth of picks. Let's say by some miracle an elite, young LT hits the open free agent market... think he's going to come as cheap as a young, elite LT on a rookie contract? Doubtful.

The decision of whether or not to go after Kalil, imo, has less to do with whether Albert is "good enough" at the position and more to do with what offers the most security and value RIGHT NOW. The decision needs to be made with Albert removed from the equation.

If the opportunity arrises for the Chiefs to solidify the LT position by moving up "only" 6 spots and taking Kalil, they should take it. The cost of moving up 6 spots and solidifying the LT spot is MUCH less than waiting and having to plug a hole at LT next season when you're picking late in the 1st.

If you're of the mind that the Chiefs should just wait and take DeCastro, your entire argument is based on the HOPE that the Chiefs can either re-sign Albert, a different expensive LT, or find some way to land a starting LT in the draft using a late 20s first round pick. Each of those options have serious obstacles to overcome... whereas getting the #5 overall would just mean throwing in next year's late first round pick.

If the Vikings pass on Kalil, this could be the Chiefs last chance to land a good, young, elite LT for quite a while.

The ideal situation would be if the Chiefs were able to get Kalil this year, move Albert to OG and then re-sign him for the average contract of the top 5 OGs in the league. Re-signing Albert would free up the 2nd round picks both this year and next in order to draft other positions of need.... such as NT.

If the Chiefs don't get Kalil, the potential exists for the loss of Branden Albert to put this team in a VERY bad situation on the offensive line... ESPECIALLY if the player they take this season is NOT DeCastro.

What if the Chiefs don't draft DeCastro AND don't get Albert re-signed? The Chiefs' OL is in a very fragile position right now. It can either become great with a couple picks or tragically horrible for a team ready to make a deep run in the playoffs the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    If the Chiefs don't get Kalil, the potential exists for the loss of Branden Albert to put this team in a VERY bad situation on the offensive line... ESPECIALLY if the player they take this season is NOT DeCastro.

What if the Chiefs don't draft DeCastro AND don't get Albert re-signed? The Chiefs' OL is in a very fragile position right now. It can either become great with a couple picks or tragically horrible for a team ready to make a deep run in the playoffs the next few years.
    Honestly, it all depends on the Vikings and how much Pioli wants to potentially pay Albert.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast