Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Default Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Sporting News is reporting that there is a lot of interest in USC's Matt Kahlil coming from Chiefs camp, and that there is talk that if the prospect falls past the Vikings, that the Chiefs are serious about moving up to #4 to draft him.

The report says the move makes sense, seeing as Albert only has 1 year left on his contract. The draft move would then cause a shift on the line, and have Albert move inside to LG.

We would then have a year to decide to re-sign Albert for the long term to man the LG position, or let him walk and still have Kahlil at a more reasonable salary.

What are the thoughts on this report?

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Not Sure?

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I like the idea of trading up for Kalil and then re-signing Albert. I feel Kalil/Albert -picks > Albert/DeCastro +picks
    That doesn't make sense at all, your going to give up all those picks to get a very good college LT and also resign your already good (not great) NFL LT.....why would we do that?

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    That doesn't make sense at all, your going to give up all those picks to get a very good college LT and also resign your already good (not great) NFL LT.....why would we do that?
    Because he would be an all-pro guard?
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    Because he would be an all-pro guard?
    so would Decastro and we could keep our picks

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    I like the idea of trading up for Kalil and then re-signing Albert. I feel Kalil/Albert -picks > Albert/DeCastro +picks
    I am not starving for this move, as I have been in recent years.

But I can't help but smile at the thought.

Unfortunately, if Albert is moved to OG then I think that seals the deal for Albert, and he will go on the market as a LOT. That will not work out well for him either.

But then... there is always the franchise tag too.

so would Decastro and we could keep our picks
    And you miss out on a potential Willie Roaf at LOT.

IF we were capable of retaining Albert at OG, then this becomes a no-brainer move to me. Albert was every bit the OG prospect that Decastro is, and he has been playing in The NFL for several years now. He would be the better choice for an OG and Khalil is the better choice at LOT.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I am not starving for this move, as I have been in recent years.

But I can't help but smile at the thought.

Unfortunately, if Albert is moved to OG then I think that seals the deal for Albert, and he will go on the market as a LOT. That will not work out well for him either.

But then... there is always the franchise tag too.

And you miss out on a potential Willie Roaf at LOT.

IF we were capable of retaining Albert at OG, then this becomes a no-brainer move to me. Albert was every bit the OG prospect that Decastro is, and he has been playing in The NFL for several years now. He would be the better choice for an OG and Khalil is the better choice at LOT.
    Theres no gurantee he's going to be Willie Roaf. I like Kalil a lot but guys he only played one year, it was a hell of a year but only one year a LT I'm not willing to call him Jake Long caliber or anywhere near Willie Roaf, and if you think We are going to pay Albert the kind of money he wants to be our OG you got to be crazy he's a LT and a pretty decent one, he's going to be wanting 10 mil+ and theres no OG worth that, he will leave and become a starting LT of some other team. Oh and hell no Decastro is the better college player, we'll see at NFL but college Decastro > Albert. I don't even know why we are arguing we aren't getting Kalil. Honestly I think our team is so stacked I don't care if we pick up Tannehill's overrated butt we are going to crush other teams this year

Because we would have two pro bowlers ibstead of ine. Albert, imo, wont be a probowler at LT, hell excel at guard. And if kalil were to grt hurt we would have someone to move to LT. Better options yo.

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    Because we would have two pro bowlers ibstead of ine. Albert, imo, wont be a probowler at LT, hell excel at guard. And if kalil were to grt hurt we would have someone to move to LT. Better options yo.

Theres no gurantee he's going to be Willie Roaf.
    Hence the usage of the word "potential".

I like Kalil a lot but guys he only played one year, it was a hell of a year but only one year a LT I'm not willing to call him Jake Long caliber or anywhere near Willie Roaf,
    Well, I make no claim to be a Khalil expert, or anything. But if he is ranked this high as a consensus, then he has be a real strong prospect.

and if you think We are going to pay Albert the kind of money he wants to be our OG you got to be crazy he's a LT and a pretty decent one, he's going to be wanting 10 mil+ and theres no OG worth that, he will leave and become a starting LT of some other team.
    Just speculation, but it has taken him several seasons to get decent at playing our LOT. And he will be on a limited market for zone-blocking LOTs, or will have to re-invent himself again.

The market will be pretty thin for a guy coming off a year at OG trying to get a starting LOT gig.

Oh and hell no Decastro is the better college player, we'll see at NFL but college Decastro > Albert. I don't even know why we are arguing we aren't getting Kalil. Honestly I think our team is so stacked I don't care if we pick up Tannehill's overrated butt we are going to crush other teams this year
    I don't think it will happen either. But I will be pretty satisfied if it does.

Again, dealing with the things you CAN control, trading up to secure your LT spot for the next 5-6 years is a no-brainer. Albert re-signing is no guarantee. If you have a deal in place to grab Kalil, that is something you CAN control. Worry about the cost later. Left tackle isn't one of those positions where you try to find a bargain. Either the prospect has the size and talent or he doesn't. We saw what this organization looked like between Roaf and Albert... it wasn't pretty.

But now, you're advocating that the Chiefs ignore the opportunity to lock up the LT position and HOPE Albert re-signs?? That's how franchises and winning opportunities are destroyed.

Like I said, I'd MUCH rather have a hole at OG than LT if the Chiefs can't re-sign Albert. OGs are MUCH easier to find than legit LTs. Moving up in the draft is WELL worth the investment if it's for a franchise LT... AND ONLY A FRANCHISE LEFT TACKLE.

Default Decastro

Ok first off Kalil would solidify the LT spot more for like 10 years. Kalil should never be compared to Roaf nor should any prospect out of college. In all the decades the NFL has been around Roaf is possibly the best LT to ever play, or at least top 5. That's about like saying Anthony Davis could be the next Magic Johnson. Kalil more realistically really could be like the next Jake Long. Also, despite what people seem to think Guards are not simply the guys that weren't good enough for OT. DeCastro is the prototype of that exactly, an aggressive mean brick s@@@ house blocker that is a perfect OG but doesn't have the athleticism to play OT. Just like with DEs and OLBs there are some guys you can interchange and many you can't. Also, Chiefs were smart to let Carr, we would have had to pay him as much as Flowers and he's not near as good. I say the Chiefs go all out for Kalil, a guy that is as safe a pick as you'll find and he plays the most important position in the offense (besides QB of course). Albert may find he can make just as much money as an elite OG as compared to average OT (Nicks is set to make over 11 million a year at OG).

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast