Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Default Report: Chiefs May Move into top 5 to Draft Kalil

Sporting News is reporting that there is a lot of interest in USC's Matt Kahlil coming from Chiefs camp, and that there is talk that if the prospect falls past the Vikings, that the Chiefs are serious about moving up to #4 to draft him.

The report says the move makes sense, seeing as Albert only has 1 year left on his contract. The draft move would then cause a shift on the line, and have Albert move inside to LG.

We would then have a year to decide to re-sign Albert for the long term to man the LG position, or let him walk and still have Kahlil at a more reasonable salary.

What are the thoughts on this report?

Like it? Love it? Hate it? Not Sure?

Pioli has historically never drafted Oline in the first round. I don't see why he would change now.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    For a team as far under the cap as they are, and a Team who spouts out that you build a team through the draft and sign your own player to let one go for the most penalized CB in the league and for not a whole lot less money is B S...

Regardless of him getting beat like a drum in Dallas, He was one of ours!
    Carr was very good, but the Cowpies overpaid for him. They were in a much more desperate position than the Chiefs. Pioli has done a good job of maintaining cap space by drafting well, (as did Peterson to some extent) and not overpaying for free agents. Yes, he paid a lot of money for Flowers and Hali, but not above their market value. No matter how good Carr was he is still a #2 corner, at least for the Chiefs, and it would have been foolish to overpay him. In fact Pioli Knew that Carr was so good, that someone would offer him #1 corner money. That's why he did the smart thing and went out and locked up Routt "just in case."

It's not just about "what is a player worth," but "what is a player worth to this team?" Carr's market value based on talent was higher than his value to the Chiefs based on position/need. No team can have the best two or three players in the NFL at every position. That's why you have to make sure you have solid 2nd and 3rd tier players to work in around your superstars.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Pioli has historically never drafted Oline in the first round. I don't see why he would change now.
    Because history always shows what someone will do in the future?? Cus last year we all knew he was taking Baldwin because of his draft history...(Baldwin was the 1st WR he had ever taken in the 1st round!) and "NO ONE EVER TAKE A SAFETY IN THE TOP 5" cough cough Eric Berry..Yeah Pioli's draft history sure does tell us his plans for Thursday night.

This make no sense..Looks to me like he spreads the love to any position that has the best player available.

Picks under Pioli as a GM/VP Player Personnel:
    3 LBs- Ray Lewis, James Farrior, Jerod Mayo
    3 DE's- Richard Seymore, Ty Warren, and Tyson Jackson
    2 Safety's- Brandon Merriweather and Eric Berry
    2 TE's- Danial Graham, and Ben Watson
    1 RB- Lawrence Maroney
    1 WR- Johnathan Balwin
    1 NT- Vince Wilfork
    1 OG- Logan Mankins
    1 OT- Johnathan Ogden

He's hit on a lot more than he has missed, so I trust his judgement, even if history doesn't give us any clues

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I don't know about this one. I'd rather take DeCastro at 11 and not give up any picks. But what if we stand pat and miss out on both players? Do you go defense and take Kuechly, or trade down and get more picks?

It sure would be nice to know exactly what teams 3-10 are going to do!

According to the draft value chart, trading up from 11 (1250) to 4 (1800) would cost us our 2nd (540), 4th (78) and 7th pick (10). Is Kalil really worth 4 of our 7 picks? I can only see doing this, maybe, if we know for sure that DeCastro will be gone before 11. Even then it seems like an awful lot to give up.
    Yeah Decastro is the smart choice, and I'm guessing as good as Decastro is he'd be just as good at LT as Albert if he leaves next year.

Quote Originally Posted by figcrostic View Post
    Yeah Decastro is the smart choice, and I'm guessing as good as Decastro is he'd be just as good at LT as Albert if he leaves next year.
    And a reason for drafting DeCastro surfaces. IF he has the ability to play LT at a high level, that is.
    C:\Users\Master Sin\Desktop\thumb_pl_180492.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Three7s View Post
    And a reason for drafting DeCastro surfaces. IF he has the ability to play LT at a high level, that is.
    I think he is just as capable if not more capable then Alberts both played guard in college except Decastro would be considered the better player. Pioli does like drafting guys out of position, Decastro could come in and solidify the guard position and very easily take over for Alberts.

Drafting DeCastro to play anything but OG is stupid... he would be worse at LT than Albert. He's never played the position... unlike Albert when he came into the league. If you're going to draft a replacement for Albert, draft a pure LT... period. Don't draft an OG and HOPE he can fill in at an average level in case Albert isn't re-signed... that's ridiculous.

If they draft DeCastro, he should ONLY play OG... otherwise, why are you taking him at #11 overall??? Expecting him to play at a high level at LT is unfair to him and unfair to the franchise if you're going to spend a first round pick on him. Make him change positions and he's no longer worth #11 overall. He's a project that should go no higher than the third round as a LT.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Drafting DeCastro to play anything but OG is stupid... he would be worse at LT than Albert. He's never played the position... unlike Albert when he came into the league. If you're going to draft a replacement for Albert, draft a pure LT... period. Don't draft an OG and HOPE he can fill in at an average level in case Albert isn't re-signed... that's ridiculous.

If they draft DeCastro, he should ONLY play OG... otherwise, why are you taking him at #11 overall??? Expecting him to play at a high level at LT is unfair to him and unfair to the franchise if you're going to spend a first round pick on him. Make him change positions and he's no longer worth #11 overall. He's a project that should go no higher than the third round as a LT.
    I don't think we should draft Decastro because we could make him a LT I think we should draft him because he is an amazing player, and if Albert left he "could" key word "could" replace Albert at LT either way he's a great player.

I like the idea from earlier, resign Albert, and have DeCastro too! woot woot bust out that cake, and eat it! yeeeeeea!

I like the idea of trading up for Kalil and then re-signing Albert. I feel Kalil/Albert -picks > Albert/DeCastro +picks

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast