Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to KC Dontari Poe

Default Welcome to KC Dontari Poe

Not who I personally wanted, but welcome to the Chiefs! I hope he plays up to his athleticism!

Quote Originally Posted by HaliForPresident View Post
    Kiper and McShay scout and evaluate talent for a living and that's literally all they do all year. Also, Pioli seems to know something everyone Poe played again in college doen't. Poe was voted to the second-team all-Conference USA.
    But did Kiper and McShay watch every single 2011 snap from him AND snaps from 2010 like Pioli/RAC said they did? I doubt it.

Kiper/McShay are entertainers that happen to evaluate talent. Just b/c they're on ESPN does not mean they are good at what they do. Kiper is the same guy who ranked Jimmy Clausen as the number 4 overall player in 2010!

McShay has even been accused of plagiarizing other draft analysts (source: http://walterfootball.com/mcshay.php).

If you do take Kiper's analysis seriously though, you should read this from just a week ago: 2012 NFL Draft: Mel Kiper Says Chiefs Need Dontari Poe, Amini Silatolu To Earn 'A' Grade - SB Nation Kansas City

This whole discussion needs to stop.

I told y'all the descent about this pick originated with the talking heads.

If you're REALLY going to base your opinion about Poe off what Kiper and McShay say about him, you honestly have no part in this discussion.

... and for the record, Kiper thought Poe was a great pick for KC... just saying.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    This whole discussion needs to stop.

I told y'all the descent about this pick originated with the talking heads.

If you're REALLY going to base your opinion about Poe off what Kiper and McShay say about him, you honestly have no part in this discussion.

... and for the record, Kiper thought Poe was a great pick for KC... just saying.
    Agreed. One can no longer look at the Poe selection like it's THE entire draft for 2012. They can easily justify selecting Poe at #11 with the guys they took afterward, especially the two O-Lineman that they took that both have good pass-blocking skills.

It was inevitable that they were going to have a draft where they made a run on some BEEF with their top 2 or 3 selections. The skill position talent is already there, so the time was right for it.

well i heard on the radio that poe's dline coach was the best in college and that his coach said that poe was the best player he ever coached. it was on 610am radio. dont know much about the station so take it as its worth. but sounds promising.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    well i heard on the radio that poe's dline coach was the best in college and that his coach said that poe was the best player he ever coached. it was on 610am radio. dont know much about the station so take it as its worth. but sounds promising.
    To elaborate, the Memphis coaches were saying it's more their fault that he never reached his potential on the field. I'm too lazy to look right now, but it's out there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    To elaborate, the Memphis coaches were saying it's more their fault that he never reached his potential on the field. I'm too lazy to look right now, but it's out there.
    Read the same rhing, he was so talented they didnt know how to use him.

If he plays in the NFL the way he performed at the Combine - Great Draft!

Ok, ok, first off, let me apologize for my two comments. I've had some time to cool down after the pick and after a weekend of thinking about it, watching reels on youtube (because that seems to be the only place I can find Poe material) I'm better with this pick.

My biggest problem with Poe has to be that he's a development project and I wanted someone that would step in immediately and make us even better. While pushing that starter that was there to a backup role which would have made us at least as good as we were. Obviously this isn't what happened.

For me, initially it was that everyone was saying he's got the intangibles, wasn't coached, didn't make 1st team in a weak conference...whatever. When there's doubt in a 1st round pick it doesn't sit well with me.

I'll admit that I'm still a bit leary about the pick but I think that this guy will be developed and won't be any worse than what we had with Gregg last year. That's with Poe being a rookie. So here's to Poe hitting his ceiling, breaking that and making me wish I'd never said an ill word about him being drafted to begin with!

On another note is it possible to shut my account down or at least not give me access to posting til 24 hrs AFTER the draft?

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    They are professional critics. NFL scouts, GMs and coaches are professional talent evaluators.

If you want to go with the TV personalities, that's up to you.

I am going to with the professionals.
    I really like Crennel, but I don't ever recall his teams in Cleveland being filled with great talent. Now maybe he had no say in that, but I would find that very hard to believe. I agree that Crennel is a great coach, and probably not the best Scout.

What bothers me is that, I think Crennel is drafting people that have great potentional that he believes he can coach up but did not show it on the field. The excuse of he played so many positions may be a valid argument, or it is just an excuse to cover up the big question mark that critiques as throwing at Poe. There is a lot of Risk and Reward and so far historically these risk reward players are all the Same regardless of who picked them then. Siavii was a physically talented freak but had pscyh problems. Tank Tyler was a huge Combine warrior that was considered a huge Steal if we could coach him up. Eddie Freeman etc....... Fact of the matter we do not know if this is a good pick or not and the only postive to this pick is that RAC is coaching him up. I know he is a good coach but can you blame me for being very skeptical based on this type of player.

I did not like Herm Edwards as a coach but did like him as a Scout and Herm picked players based on what they did on the field.

Until Poe himself proves me to be wrong, I will not be happy with this pick.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    If he plays in the NFL the way he performed at the Combine - Great Draft!
    If all the players we drafted over the years performed as they do at the Combine, we wouldn't have a need at NT at all.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 5678910 LastLast