Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to KC Dontari Poe

Default Welcome to KC Dontari Poe

Not who I personally wanted, but welcome to the Chiefs! I hope he plays up to his athleticism!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'm OK with this pick. Poe does address a need & he was far and away the most physically gifted NT prospect in this draft.

But, I'll be honest, the selection of Poe will look a whole lot better if they take Osemele or Silatolu in the 2nd round ( don't think that Glenn will be there )

And I must differ with those that say NT was the biggest team need. A more accurate statement would be "NT was the biggest need on DEFENSE". Interior O-Line is just as big a need and the fact that 2 QBs got hurt last year & the meager Offensive output is all the proof that I need of that.
    This year's O-line of Albert, Asomoah, Hudson, Lilja, and Winston will be a SOLID O-line. There is an issue of depth for this season, which could be taken care of in the 3rd and 4th rounds or in FA after the draft. Serious starting issues on the OL won't arise until the Chiefs decide NOT to franchise/re-sign Albert. The 2012 OL line is in good shape for this season. The 2013 OL however, could see the loss of Branden Albert and Ryan Lilja. Before last night, the Chiefs ONLY HAD a 6th round, 2nd year pro at the NT spot to rely on.

Nose tackle was EASILY the biggest need for this team... as it has been since they switched to the 3-4 defense.

And for those of you who thought we should have taken DeCastro, last night should have proven something to you... YOU DON'T TAKE OGs EARLY IN THE FIRST ROUND. Very few OGs get taken in the first round EVER. The fact that DeCastro was taken in the first at all is an AMAZING accomplishment. OGs early in the first are wasted value picks. The Chiefs will probably have a VERY good OL fall in their lap tonight and they didn't need to spend the #11 pick on him.

The difference between the #1NT and the #2NT is MUCH greater than the difference between the #1 OG and even the #5 OG.

#1NT-#2NT>#1 OG-#5OG

There are more teams running the 3-4 defense now than not and the Chiefs landed the best NT prospect in this draft before any of the perennially great defenses like PIT, BAL, NE, etc. had a chance to.

There are going to be some GREAT OL players available for the Chiefs in round 2. However, if Lilja is coming back and they're happy with Hudson at center, don't expect the Chiefs to pull the trigger for an OL in round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    This year's O-line of Albert, Asomoah, Hudson, Lilja, and Winston will be a SOLID O-line. There is an issue of depth for this season, which could be taken care of in the 3rd and 4th rounds or in FA after the draft. Serious starting issues on the OL won't arise until the Chiefs decide NOT to franchise/re-sign Albert. The 2012 OL line is in good shape for this season. The 2013 OL however, could see the loss of Branden Albert and Ryan Lilja. Before last night, the Chiefs ONLY HAD a 6th round, 2nd year pro at the NT spot to rely on.

Nose tackle was EASILY the biggest need for this team... as it has been since they switched to the 3-4 defense.

And for those of you who thought we should have taken DeCastro, last night should have proven something to you... YOU DON'T TAKE OGs EARLY IN THE FIRST ROUND. Very few OGs get taken in the first round EVER. The fact that DeCastro was taken in the first at all is an AMAZING accomplishment. OGs early in the first are wasted value picks. The Chiefs will probably have a VERY good OL fall in their lap tonight and they didn't need to spend the #11 pick on him.

The difference between the #1NT and the #2NT is MUCH greater than the difference between the #1 OG and even the #5 OG.

#1NT-#2NT>#1 OG-#5OG

There are more teams running the 3-4 defense now than not and the Chiefs landed the best NT prospect in this draft before any of the perennially great defenses like PIT, BAL, NE, etc. had a chance to.

There are going to be some GREAT OL players available for the Chiefs in round 2. However, if Lilja is coming back and they're happy with Hudson at center, don't expect the Chiefs to pull the trigger for an OL in round 2.
    I agree with what you are saying. Lilja is the weak spot, but I dont think he is a liability, which is why we could afford to wait until the 3rd round and get someone that we could develop for a year (like we did with Hudson and Asamoah). After OL, though, there isnt really a need. I dont think there are any ILB worthy of an early 2nd round pick and that would be the only other need we have. Maybe trade down to the late 2nd and get a late 3rd or 4th rounder as well?

I've had a feeling all week that the Chiefs are gonna go WR in the first 3 rounds. It could be tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    I like this pick, why is everyone complaining?
    for the same reason Obama got elected... because the talking heads have told them to.

It's a good pick. I think people just fell in love with the DeCastro idea.

I've always said I didn't want the Chiefs to take him, but now that he's here...
    Dontari Poe has lived through tough time to reach the NFL and the Kansas City Chiefs - NFL News | FOX Sports on MSN . Might as well embrace it.

People are complaining because Poe was an average player while in the conference USA. There was no talk of him going first round until the combine. Now tell me, why does his combine numbers shoot you from round 3 to round 1? The last guy to shoot up like that because of combine numbers was Vernon Gloston. Poe was just as big, strong and athletic in college where he did not dominate, why would we think that would change when he gets to the NFL? He was not the top NT on Kiper or McShay's board and before the draft they even said he'd be a 3-4 DE because he's too soft for NT. Poe and Ngata should never be mentioned together because Ngata was a dominate force in college unlike Poe. Ngata didn't come to the NFL only on pure "potential" like . PS: Round 4 we take Poe's polar opposite Jared Crick, not the physical freak but hard nosed productive player with a nonstop motor

Well, it's a scary pick. But, if The Steelers had made this pick, I would have no doubt that it was the right choice. So, for me, it really is all about RAC here. And I am confident in his ability to coach the defense.

Now, I am hearing things about how he was not projected in the first round until after the combine, but that simply isn't true. I don't watch a lot of college ball, but I do look at a lot of mock drafts, and he was in the first round of most of the drafts I saw, from the end of the season, up to Thursday. In fact, I would say that he was in the first round less often, after the combine.

This guy was the consensus premier NT available, and it is the one position where our starter was a real question mark.

I am positive that he was not drafted because of his combine. Did it hurt? Of course not. But I have no doubt that The Chiefs looked at everything about this guy before picking him. They did not just throw a name out there because time was running out. I don't think that most grade school kids would have made that kind of mistake if they had been in charge from the end of last season.

I am an o-line guy, so I definitely wanted to see an O-lineman picked. But I realize that NT is the most important position on a 3-4 defense, it was the only position that we did have a starter for, and we picked up the top prospect for that position.

But NT is a position that does not accumulate stats, so I expect that team success, and the opinions of the TV talking heads is the only thing that will ever get most people to remove the "BUST" label that they seem to have already placed on this guy.

If anyone is gonna turn him into a player it's RAC. The problem is that I think there were better DL available that RAC could produce even better linemen out of. My confidence may be lacking a bit being that 0 of Pioli's DL picks have panned out thus far. PS: BJ Raji was rated higher on nearly every "talk head" board than Tyson Jackson, and we needed a NT back then just as bad as now.

Quote Originally Posted by HaliForPresident View Post
    If anyone is gonna turn him into a player it's RAC. The problem is that I think there were better DL available that RAC could produce even better linemen out of. My confidence may be lacking a bit being that 0 of Pioli's DL picks have panned out thus far. PS: BJ Raji was rated higher on nearly every "talk head" board than Tyson Jackson, and we needed a NT back then just as bad as now.
    RAC disagrees.

Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast