Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Jeff Allen

Default Jeff Allen

Discuss

Before anybody can regurgitate what someone else written, let me say this was a fantastic pick by the Chiefs. I would have preferred them get Glenn from UGA, but Allen is going to be phenomenal at OG. He's highly athletic and COULD provide a bridge to a different LT if Albert isn't re-signed.

Jeff Allen, offensive guard, Illinois (6-5, 315)
    Allen was one of the NFP’s favorite linemen in this year's draft because his tape was as impressive as any tackle in the country. He lacks ideal size to play tackle in the NFL and will likely be moved to guard. However, he can bend, redirect in space and should mature into a “plus” starter inside.
    NFL Ceiling: “Plus” NFL starter
    NFL Floor: Average NFL guard

- Wes Bunting, National Football Post

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    Before anybody can regurgitate what someone else written, let me say this was a fantastic pick by the Chiefs. I would have preferred them get Glenn from UGA, but Allen is going to be phenomenal at OG. He's highly athletic and COULD provide a bridge to a different LT if Albert isn't re-signed.
    Agreed, this was very good pick and a need pick. Mike Mayock said he believes that he can be a Day 1 starter. Ryan Lilja's days are numbered.

I'd flip if they took another O-Lineman in Round 3, but I don't think they will. Safety depth is probably more likely.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'd flip if they took another O-Lineman in Round 3, but I don't think they will. Safety depth is probably more likely.
    Agree. I don't want to see another OL until Round 5 - either David Molk or Mike Brewster to back up at Center. I fully expect to see a Safety in Round 3. There is plenty of talent there. My top choice would be Trumaine Johnson (CB/FS tweener) if he falls that far but he probably won't. But there is still Brandon Taylor, Antonio Allen, Markelle Martin.

I kinda like this pick almost as much as if we had gotten Glenn, only because I think Allen fits our zone blocking system better. Allen is a more athletic and not a power blocker. Zone blocking doesnt require a bulldozer, but more of a balance of agility and power.

It will be good to see competition between him and Lilja this year. I think it will make the whole line better. Also, he could probably sub in at RT if need be.

This pick is EXACTLY the opposite of what Peterson and Vermeil did in the early '00s. Those guys ran the team into the ground by not drafting and cultivating the future of the franchise. Pioli and Crennel aren't following suit. This is a GREAT pick not only for the immediate future but also for the future of this franchise.

Albert Asamoah Hudson Allen Winston

opening day line up?

Quote Originally Posted by texaschief View Post
    This pick is EXACTLY the opposite of what Peterson and Vermeil did in the early '00s. Those guys ran the team into the ground by not drafting and cultivating the future of the franchise. Pioli and Crennel aren't following suit. This is a GREAT pick not only for the immediate future but also for the future of this franchise.
    Exactly. Peterson and Vermeil didn't address the O-Line for the future through the draft in any way shape or form and everybody and their brother knew that Willie Roaf and Will Shields were going to be retiring circa 2005-2006 and their drafts produced nothing in the way of replacements for these guys. And when you lose guys like that and don't have any replacements ready it hurts any football team & it really hurt the Chiefs. Their Offense went pfffffft and double-digit losing seasons followed from 2007-2009.

Nice work by the Chiefs brass with this pick and with 6 more picks to come & already having 650+ pounds of BEEF on board with the first 2 picks, this draft is shaping up very nice.

Other interesting note: Allen played with Asamoah 2 years ago. Which means they have probably looked at him for 2 years.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast