Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 2 reasons Pioli gets an A+ these past 6 months

Default 2 reasons Pioli gets an A+ these past 6 months

1. Making the HC change before the end of last season and announcing RAC as new HC shortly after the end of the season.
    2. Not screwing around with Winston and getting him signed.

The draft remains to be seen but these 2 moves alone will make us a competitive team next year and beyond. Great job.
    SHUT IT

3. Getting Routt on board before Carr had walked.
    4. Not panicking about the QB situation and signing a veteran backup in Quinn.
    5. Getting rid of Muir in addition to Haley & getting a real OC and a real O-Line coach.
    6. NOT doing it the NE way, but more reminiscent of the way Don Klosterman did it as far as orchestrating the draft and FA. Klosterman had a track record as a GM that few could match and it was great to see Pioli take a page out of his book this off-season.
    7. Best draft of any team in the AFC West -- it's not even close. In fact, this is the best draft that the Chiefs have had in years with only the 2008 draft being comparable.

pro football talk gave us a b+ grade for our draft.i would agree pioli has been making some good moves.

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    pro football talk gave us a b+ grade for our draft.i would agree pioli has been making some good moves.
    Mel Kiper gave us a C+, and the chargers qn A. Wtf!

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post

**** Mel Kiper

Quote Originally Posted by nigeriannightmare View Post
    I give the Chiefs draft an A+ and I lost all respect for Kiper years ago. This was the same guy hyping up JaMarcus Russell to be a franchise QB back in 2007.

We saw how that worked out, didn't we?

People are too hung up on drafting sexy picks at the top of the draft. That's not what the Chiefs needed coming into this draft. They were long overdue to make a run on some BEEF with their top 3 picks and they did a nice job getting that this year & they did a nice job in rounds 4 through 7, as well. This draft gets an A+ from me, regardless of what Kiper says.

The additions of Winston and Routt are especially nice because of their draft "bonus." Usually, when a good, productive player hits the open market at a UFA, the team that loses said player is compensated with a comparable draft pick... like the one we'll see coming to the Chiefs for the loss of Brandon Carr.

However, since both Routt and Winston were released by their teams, the Chiefs won't lose that compensation by signing a UFA of equal value to Carr. So, by signing players who were released instead of players who are leaving, the Chiefs will be able to retain the Carr compensation... which is a VERY BIG deal because the expected compensatory pick for Carr is probably going to be a 3rd rounder.

You all make very good points. I would give Pioli a solid A for what he has done, so far.

As far as the draft goes, I am tentatively giving it a B+ for now. We really can't fairly evaluate it until these players have had a couple of years to develop, but I really like his picks, this year.

The only reason I don't give it an A is because the Poe pick is still a question mark. He could turn out to be a great player (and I think he will) but also has a higher than average chance of being a bust. I'm in "wait-and-see" mode on him.

Strategically, however, I think it was a great move by Pioli to take care of NT first and then improve the O-line in rounds 2 and 3. If he had picked DeCastro in round 1 we probably wouldn't have gotten a decent NT. But in this case we were still able to get 2 excellent O-linemen (hopefully).

We took care of our biggest needs in rounds 1-3 and got some excellent depth in 4-7. I think we will see a higher than usual number of these guys make the opening day roster. Pioli and Crennel may have to make some very difficult decisions when they cut the roster down to 53. And that's a good thing!
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

I'd say he could be an A-, due to the Poe boom or bust, but if only one guy out of the group doesn't live up to what he's supposed to be, that's still pretty dang solid, considering the draft is almost russian roulette lol

From Piolis draft interview I feel the organization did their due diligence on Poe.

The same questions the draft "experts" have on Dontari were addressed by Pioli. The Chiefs went back and looked at every snap he took and determined that on 49% of his plays the ball was released so fast that Poe had a 0% chance of making a play. The same 50% the "experts" say he took off the play the Chiefs did the homework on and formulated a real world statistic.

Don't believe the negative hype, Poe will be a beast. He needs to work on his two technique but what rookie doesn't have something they can improve.

Page 1 of 11 12345 ... LastLast