Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Five observations from today's Chiefs practice

Default Five observations from today's Chiefs practice

Some quick observations from today's Chiefs practice, the first full-squad practice of the year:
    1. The Chiefs have yet to put their top draft pick, nose tackle Dontari Poe, with the starters. Veteran Amon Gordon was the starter at nose tackle.
    2. Dexter McCluster may still play some at running back, but for now he’s a wide receiver. McCluster worked exclusively with the receivers. McCluster was also first in line when the Chiefs returned punts. That line also featured Javier Arenas, Steve Breaston and Devon Wylie.
    3. Seven players did not practice because of injury: Jamaal Charles, Tony Moeaki, Eric Berry, Kendrick Lewis, Brandon Siler, DeQuan Menzie and Rob Bruggeman. Charles, Moeaki, Berry and Siler missed all or most of last season. Lewis had off-season shoulder surgery. Menzie (hamstring) and Bruggeman (finger) have lingering injuries from the recent rookie camp.
    4. With Berry, Lewis and Menzie on the sideline, the Chiefs used Travis Daniels, a cornerback, and Terrance Parks, an undrafted rookie, as their starting safeties.
    5. Kansas coach Charlie Weis, a former Chiefs offensive coordinator, was an observer at practice.

Wow, I didn't realize Weiss left Florida
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Interesting notes- thanks for posting!

Weiss is the new coach at KU!

Yeah its kinda a big imiddlle finger to todd haley being he said he wanted to be in florida for his family and moved to the kc area less than a year after said remark.

Kind of shocking that Weis was at practice. It does say a lot of about the power struggle that was takin place between Haley and Weis. Based on the fact that Weis is there and Haley was fired, I'm guessing Weis leaving was likely not Pioli's choice but was a result of Todd being Todd.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Kind of shocking that Weis was at practice. It does say a lot of about the power struggle that was takin place between Haley and Weis. Based on the fact that Weis is there and Haley was fired, I'm guessing Weis leaving was likely not Pioli's choice but was a result of Todd being Todd.
    Exactly! I believe that to be the case with all of the OC's under Haley's regime.

I will admit, I never really thought poorly of Haley and didnt believe all of the "rumors" that he was an a-hole. Now with all the info we have, and especially with Weiss visiting us, I cannot help but think I was very wrong. I cant help but wonder how we would have looked last year without Haley and with Weiss as OC ...

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I will admit, I never really thought poorly of Haley and didnt believe all of the "rumors" that he was an a-hole. Now with all the info we have, and especially with Weiss visiting us, I cannot help but think I was very wrong. I cant help but wonder how we would have looked last year without Haley and with Weiss as OC ...
    Thats the same thought I had this morning. The offense wa never the same once Weiss announced he was leaving. It seems like Haley may have been pulling the strings during the playoff loss as well as December of that year. No chance of him coming back at this point though.

Is Jim Zorn still part of this team?

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Thats the same thought I had this morning. The offense wa never the same once Weiss announced he was leaving. It seems like Haley may have been pulling the strings during the playoff loss as well as December of that year. No chance of him coming back at this point though.

Is Jim Zorn still part of this team?
    He is still listed as the QB coach on the team website.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast