Thread: 1985 1st round pick Trezelle Jenkins and our expectations

Default 1985 1st round pick Trezelle Jenkins and our expectations

I found this article after talking to some old school chiefs fans that were talking about the draft and how we've done in the past. It was an interesting read, it really makes you realize how these NFL players are people too. Instead of all the combine results, game field, interviews, etc that a lot of us get caught up with in the months leading to the draft. Makes you wonder about the 1st round picks we've had lately and how harsh we are on them at times. I know I have been and have been very vocal.

Ongo News | The Latest News Sorted By Our Professional Editors

I think you mean 1995, regarding Jenkins, but Jenkins was a huge reach that nobody was projecting to be drafted above Round 4.

At least with Poe, he was being projected by many to go in round 1 and no lower than round 2.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I think you mean 1995, regarding Jenkins, but Jenkins was a huge reach that nobody was projecting to be drafted above Round 4.

At least with Poe, he was being projected by many to go in round 1 and no lower than round 2.
    Yes, you're correct, my bad. Not trying to be a d@ck but after they're picked at #1 it doesn't matter where they were predicted. I just found the article very interesting because it presents the human side to the pick instead of just statistics. Also I found it interesting how it's up to the coaching staff to keep a player motivated.

i remember it well, kiper was for the first time speachless, he had to start turning thru page after page of his notes to find something on jenkins, i think there was a collective "WHO"
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

1st: Many thanks OPLookn for the article. I took the time to read it all. I like how Jenkins has come to terms with his life. Good for him.

I'm 47 & I also recall when they drafted Trezelle & thought...WTF? He was a reach in the 3rd round. John Alt was a "Mountain Man" as was Dave Lutz. Guys...Do you remember just how good our O/L was back then? We were loaded with Alt, Szott, Grunhard, Lutz & Baldinger!!! NOBODY & I mean nobody had a better OL for so damn long! Hence, why we had such an outstanding rushing attack. Can anyone say "Martyball" Granted...We didn't win a SB, but they were really some good times!

For you young guys that missed the early 90's...It was a wonderful time to be a Chiefs fan!

My worst heartbreak game was in 1990 in the playoffs vs. Miami. We were up 16-3 with like 6+ minutes to go in the 4th. We lost 17-16! I can still see that Nick Lowery 45+ yard (dead-on) kick, only to miss the upright by 6 inches! Dave Szott got called for holding, after Christian Okoye ran it to the 3 yard line (game over @ that point) Thought the Chiefs had it wrapped-up! Geez...Steve DeBerg had the season of this career! 23 TD w/ 4 INT w/ a broken thumb! I'll go to my grave thinking about that 1990 season!
    Last edited by KCMASS; 04-30-2012 at 06:32 PM.
    KC Chiefs fan since 1965!
    Home of the Middle East! Istanbul Club.

Quote Originally Posted by KCMASS View Post
    1st: Many thanks OPLookn for the article. I took the time to read it all. I like how Jenkins has come to terms with his life. Good for him.

I'm 47 & I also recall when they drafted Trezelle & thought...WTF? He was a reach in the 3rd round. John Alt was a "Mountain Man" as was Dave Lutz. Guys...Do you remember just how good our O/L was back then? We were loaded with Alt, Szott, Grunhard, Lutz & Baldinger!!! NOBODY & I mean nobody had a better OL for so damn long! Hence, why we had such an outstanding rushing attack. Can anyone say "Martyball" Granted...We didn't win a SB, but they were really some good times!

For you young guys that missed the early 90's...It was a wonderful time to be a Chiefs fan!

My worst heartbreak game was in 1990 in the playoffs vs. Miami. We were up 16-3 with like 6+ minutes to go in the 4th. We lost 17-16! I can still see that Nick Lowery 45+ yard (dead-on) kick, only to miss the upright by 6 inches! Dave Szott got called for holding, after Christian Okoye ran it to the 3 yard line (game over @ that point) Thought the Chiefs had it wrapped-up! Geez...Steve DeBerg had the season of this career! 23 TD w/ 4 INT w/ a broken thumb! I'll go to my grave thinking about that 1990 season!

and that was a phantom call, even on the replays they could NOT find any holding, the refs gave that game to the fins.

Quote Originally Posted by KCMASS View Post

I thought about that the otherday. Offensive Line was the LEAST of our worries for so long. Always talked about as the best in Football. Enjoyed it while it lasted;)
    Jenkins....man, that was a big deal back then.

Actually, the Chiefs brass can be blamed for putting Jenkins in a bad situation when they drafted him as high as they did in 1995 ( that whole draft was a wash, outside of KR Tamarick Vanover ).

I read the article and it's good to see he has things sorted out and is making a 6 figure annual income. Lots of Chiefs fans still remember the riches to rags story of Chiefs LT Jim Tyrer and how Tyrer paid for it with his life.

Very true, we had some of the VERY BEST offensive lines in football throughout the 90's and 00's. We were spoiled with great rushing attacks starting with Okoye and Word, then to Holmes and a young LJ.

don't blame the CHIEFS for ruining jenkins, blame them for wasting a 1st pik on a 5th rounder. so if the pats picked tom brady in the 1st round he have turned out to be a putz, no you either have the heart or not. whether you go to a team/system that will allow you excell is a big part of it, where your drafted plays a much smaller part.