Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nose Tackle

Default Nose Tackle

Does anyone else think we need to look at signing a veteran Nose Tackle? I know we just drafted Dontari Poe, and I have full confidence that he will soon become a stud NT, but for most DL it takes a year or two to get up to NFL speed (and strength). That having been said, should we look at some of the veteran nose tackles out there to rotate with Poe?

People who I have heard are available:

Aubrayo Franklin
    Kelly Gregg (we'd have to talk him out of retiring)

It would be awesome if Poe is able to start Day 1 and hold down the position on his own, but being realistic, I doubt he could do that.

What are your thoughts?

And before this becomes a discussion of why we shouldnt have drafted Poe, we had to get a NT at some point, and that person is going to take a couple years to develop, so that fact (IMO) does not make this a bad pick.

Poe is obviously strong but he's also young (21 and turning 22 in August). I think Poe is easily a two year player before we see what we got in the draft. One year to coach him up and then a second year to let him gain some experience and get use to the position.

I think we need to beg, plead and schmooze Gregg out of retirement. If anything to help mentor Poe. Having Gregg as a rotational player would be really good too. As for Franklin we didn't go after him last year or this year. That speaks volumes to me that Pioli doesn't think Franklin is one of the right 53.

Poe has been talked about, hashed, re-hashed and then talked about some more. The thing I'm most interested in seeing is if Jeff Allen can surpass Lilja and be our starting LG?

I read that Gregg is having second thoughts about retiring, having Poe now should make us more appealing knowing he won't have to play the same backbreaking role he did last year for us.

Kelly would be a great mentor for the young Poe. Toribio is still around but I haven't seen what the hold up is on him. IIRC he is going into his fourth season now.

All in all I'd like to see Gregg come back on a one year deal even if he only takes a handful of snaps each week.

We already have 3 NT in our roster:

-Powe: last season supposedly was his development year
    -Poe: he is even rawer than powe was last year, maybe more talented
    -Toribio: he is the more NFL "experienced" of these, and he can't be sent to PA this year.

Besides there is Gordon, who played a few snaps at NT last season.

I'm totally intrigued about this position, as with LT and what is going to happen with Bowe. I think at this time are the 3 big question marks.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

These the guys who are left out there?

http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2012DT.php
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post

Very outdated!!!
    The best Chilean fan.

Quote Originally Posted by KristofLaw View Post

To my knowledge, that is an up to date list.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    To my knowledge, that is an up to date list.
    Sorry, I didn't read second line on each player. It's up to date.
    The best Chilean fan.

From the sound of it Romeo is very high on Powe as well. I guess he was one of the main guys that stuck around Arrowhead during the off-season. He apparently looks great (whatever that is for a NT) and he should be much improved for year two. I think Poe and Powe are going to be a great tandem in time.

If Powe is ready to perform at a high level, that gives Poe a little more time to develop at a safer pace.

Quote Originally Posted by ChiefMojo View Post
    From the sound of it Romeo is very high on Powe as well. I guess he was one of the main guys that stuck around Arrowhead during the off-season. He apparently looks great (whatever that is for a NT) and he should be much improved for year two. I think Poe and Powe are going to be a great tandem in time.

If Powe is ready to perform at a high level, that gives Poe a little more time to develop at a safer pace.
    Pioli said the same thing about Powe -- that Powe looked to be in great shape. Powe was a productive player in college & if he had came out in the 2010 draft, he would have been drafted higher than what the Chiefs did when they got him in the 6th round in 2011.

Even with the selection of Poe in the 1st round this year, I still have high hopes for Jerrell Powe. You can't have too many good D-Lineman -- especially NT's.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast