Thread: Jets vs. Browns controversy

Hybrid View

Default Jets vs. Browns controversy

Did anyone happen to catch the end of the Jets' game?
    The officials screwed them pretty good. For those who missed it, Pennington threw a pass, down by seven, to the endzone. His reciever leaped, caught the ball and was shoved out of bounds.................. incomplete pass.

The official determined that the reciever would not have come down in bounds. The play is not reviewable, so that was it, game over. Watching replay revealed that there was a very good chance, that the reciever would have come down in bounds.

Perhaps I'm mistake, but I believe the rulebook urges for an official to give the reciever the "benefit of the doubt" under those circumstances. ( actually, I have heard the rulebook quoted, last season, on this matter.)

Not that I am a jets fan, but I certainly do pull-for them this season. I love the way they handled their draft.

Default Re: Jets vs. Browns controversy

I am not a fan of instant replay, and this is one of the reasons.

If you're going to use the technology to try to eliminate human error, then why take that technology away from plays that are determined by official's judgement, which is by far the most likely to wrong as a result of human error?

Add in the fact that on many plays where there is clear visual evidence to get the call right, and they still get it wrong, the sysytem is every bit as flawed as the officials themselves.

milkman wrote:
    I am not a fan of instant replay, and this is one of the reasons.

If you're going to use the technology to try to eliminate human error, then why take that technology away from plays that are determined by official's judgement, which is by far the most likely to wrong as a result of human error?

Add in the fact that on many plays where there is clear visual evidence to get the call right, and they still get it wrong, the sysytem is every bit as flawed as the officials themselves.
    They need to go all or nothing on instant replay. You can either use it on all plays or eliminate it completely.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

I think the solution is that the NFL should hire Officials that do nothing else instead of people who do this merely as a means of income supplementation.

I think that all of you made very valid points, I viewed several games recently that the Officiating was not only poor, but downright rotten. Since the teams didn't matter to me all I did was mutter to myself, but as I was reading your comments, my mind turn to Sundays game in St. Louis, I hope we don't get a stinky crew up there. You would think that with all the money floating around the NFL, they could do something about unbiased, fair, Officiating.

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Rams!!

8-) :pint:

Chiefster wrote:
    I think the solution is that the NFL should hire Officials that do nothing else instead of people who do this merely as a means of income supplementation.
    I don't care if they are full or part time. But hold them accountable for blown calls no matter what.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Guru wrote:
    Chiefster wrote:
    I don't care if they are full or part time. But hold them accountable for blown calls no matter what.
    My sentiments exactly, and with something more that an apology "We are sorry we missed the Call" routine, we are held accoutable in our jobs, and Guru you couldn't have said it any better "ACCOUNTABILITY"

GO CHIEF'S :hammer: The Rams!!

8-) :pint: