Thread: Running game 101

Default Running game 101

This has been a pet peeve of mine for years...my cousin and I talk a lot of football, specifically regarding stats as we are both Fantasy Football degenerates.

What is the difference between an 80 yard game and a 100 yard game?

Oh too often it is effort. If a RB has 20 carries a game and simply falls forward when being taken down each and every time, he will add 1-2 yards to each run...thus ending the day with 20+ yards more at the end of the day. Sure that sounds simple, but that was one of the major keys to LJ's success in the last two years. It is also one of the major differences in a number of the top RBs that are struggling this year. Watch Gore, and SJax before he got injured and the level of aggression as they finish a run is dramatically different than last year.

I'm not a big fan of Denver and many of their tactics, but this is one thing they do right, and if they don't their RBs get an earful. If the game calls for it step out of bounds, but if not, get the extra yardage...it helps your team.

Figure a RB is between 5'10" and 6'0" tall, and holds the ball right around 4' above the ground...if he falls forward 20 times a game as opposed to the average 5-10 that many do...that's at least another 60 feet (or 20 yards).

This is completely editorial, but after watching LJ fall sideways, straight down, or backward repeatedly the last 5 weeks (even in San Diego he wasn't really finishing runs, he just had more space to work with). He has the ability, but seems to have lost the attitude. Gore, SJax, and McGahee seem to have caught the same bug this year.

To give credit, watch Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai, or Ronnie Brown run this year...they're running with purpose and fight...they don't take unnecessary hits, but rather than going down they'll cut diagnally and go down in a forward motion...IT ADDS UP...
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

This is completely editorial, but after watching LJ fall sideways, straight down, or backward repeatedly the last 5 weeks (even in San Diego he wasn't really finishing runs, he just had more space to work with). He has the ability, but seems to have lost the attitude. Gore, SJax, and McGahee seem to have caught the same bug this year.
    Agreed, this is the kind of effort 45 million buys us obviously.

We should not fight for extra yards...he might fumble. Hillbilly told me so it must be true!!

like i said, all the defenses are toughening up against the run this year. its no new thing. teams know if you got someone like LJ, LT, Bush to run the ball, they are going to pinpoint on that player and try and take that aspect of the game out. it's a given. much respect for teams in doing so. look at what the chiefs did to LT the other week, and they've got mainly all the same players from last year!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We need to fight for something. Right now it seems like we lost all the fight on the team except for Dbowe and TG.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by sling58 View Post
    We need to fight for something. Right now it seems like we lost all the fight on the team except for Dbowe and TG.
    The defense has plenty of fight IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    The defense has plenty of fight IMO.
    I agree, I guess I should have said on O. Sorry.
    <a href=http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg target=_blank>http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/5893/dthomassp2.jpg</a>

Official thread killer I have heard.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada's #1 Chiefs Fan View Post
    We should not fight for extra yards...he might fumble. Hillbilly told me so it must be true!!
    Still at it huh red?

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    Still at it huh red?
    Like u said....the post is a couple of days old. Get over it.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    This has been a pet peeve of mine for years...my cousin and I talk a lot of football, specifically regarding stats as we are both Fantasy Football degenerates.

What is the difference between an 80 yard game and a 100 yard game?

Oh too often it is effort. If a RB has 20 carries a game and simply falls forward when being taken down each and every time, he will add 1-2 yards to each run...thus ending the day with 20+ yards more at the end of the day. Sure that sounds simple, but that was one of the major keys to LJ's success in the last two years. It is also one of the major differences in a number of the top RBs that are struggling this year. Watch Gore, and SJax before he got injured and the level of aggression as they finish a run is dramatically different than last year.

I'm not a big fan of Denver and many of their tactics, but this is one thing they do right, and if they don't their RBs get an earful. If the game calls for it step out of bounds, but if not, get the extra yardage...it helps your team.

Figure a RB is between 5'10" and 6'0" tall, and holds the ball right around 4' above the ground...if he falls forward 20 times a game as opposed to the average 5-10 that many do...that's at least another 60 feet (or 20 yards).

To give credit, watch Edgerrin James, Joseph Addai, or Ronnie Brown run this year...they're running with purpose and fight...they don't take unnecessary hits, but rather than going down they'll cut diagnally and go down in a forward motion...IT ADDS UP...
    I agree with much of what you say I just think that it must just wear on you a little and possbly makes you lose some of the motivation and drive when you know what's comin. All the RB's that you mentioned may feel the same.

I hope LJ can get back on track this week. Maybe runnin Boomer out there will help the O line make a few holes to run through. CHIEFS!!!!