Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Windows 8 Consumer Preview Coming Full Circle

Default Windows 8 Consumer Preview Coming Full Circle

Coming Full Circle
    Recently I have had opportunity to install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a couple of laptops and the following are my initial observations. Superficially at first glance it’s clear that there is an initial learning curve from that of Windows 7, however, after just a few minutes of use its simplicity and familiarity becomes clear. On the surface Windows 8 actually puts me in mind of Windows in its early years. Think back to 1990 when Windows 3.0 first came on the scene; it was revolutionary in its concept of a perceived graphical user interface (GUI). It took us from computers that executed programs in GW Basic or Windows DOS prompt with line commands to a “GUI” that really was nothing more than a fancy kernel that improved upon a crude, simple concept developed by graphic engineers at the Xerox Corporation, enhanced the graphics, added color and Windows was born. It introduced the user interface which employed the use of a cursor controlled by a peripheral known today as the mouse. After booting up your PC all you had to do to execute your programs is point and click. This is Windows in a nutshell and hasn’t changed a great deal with the exception of ever improving graphics, color and security. Since then the concept has undergone a number of revisions from Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and now in 2012 enter Windows 8 where like Windows 3.0 what loads into memory is not the desktop but the initial start menu that covers the entire monitor screen among the items located within the start menu is your desktop. You simply point and click.
    Last edited by Chiefster; 05-18-2012 at 12:26 AM.

Looks smooth but unless its very cheap im happy with Windows 7. When will it be released?

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Looks smooth but unless its very cheap im happy with Windows 7. When will it be released?

Not sure yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Coming Full Circle
    Recently I have had opportunity to install the Windows 8 Consumer Preview on a couple of laptops and the following are my initial observations. Superficially at first glance it’s clear that there is an initial learning curve from that of Windows 7, however, after just a few minutes of use its simplicity and familiarity becomes clear. On the surface Windows 8 actually puts me in mind of Windows in its early years. Think back to 1990 when Windows 3.0 first came on the scene; it was revolutionary in its concept of a perceived graphical user interface (GUI). It took us from computers that executed programs in GW Basic or Windows DOS prompt with line commands to a “GUI” that really was nothing more than a fancy kernel that improved upon a crude, simple concept developed by graphic engineers at the Xerox Corporation, enhanced the graphics, added color and Windows was born. It introduced the user interface which employed the use of a cursor controlled by a peripheral known today as the mouse. After booting up your PC all you had to do to execute your programs is point and click. This is Windows in a nutshell and hasn’t changed a great deal with the exception of ever improving graphics, color and security. Since then the concept has undergone a number of revisions from Windows 95, 98, ME, NT, 2000, XP, Vista, 7 and now in 2012 enter Windows 8 where like Windows 3.0 what loads into memory is not the desktop but the initial start menu that covers the entire monitor screen among the items located within the start menu is your desktop. You simply point and click.
    You lost me at recently. and that hurts.

my old machine had XP home. it died last mon so I bought a new one with 7. wow. what a diff. I updated the SDRAM to 10 gigs. upgrade to 16 if needed.. my old one had only 4 but 3 was all it used. also got upgraded a/v, 1.5 tg HD which is more that I need. and a faster processor. it appears they are doing away with CDROM's. mine just has the read/write drive.

•VISION Technology by AMD
    Makes your digital photos and Web sites look amazing and gives a boost to digital music playback.
    •AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor with Radeon HD 7450 graphics
    For fast, efficient computing.
    •10GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SDRAM
    For multitasking power, expandable to 16GB.
    •Multiformat DVD±RW/CD-RW drive with double-layer support
    Records up to 8.5GB of data or 4 hours of video using compatible DVD+R DL and DVD-R DL media; also supports DVD-RAM.
    •6MB L2 + 8MB shared L3 cache memory
    For efficient system processing.
    •1.5TB Serial ATA hard drive (5400 rpm)
    Offers plenty of storage capacity.
    •Radeon HD 7450 graphics
    Feature 1GB DDR3 dedicated and up to 4855MB total video memory for lush images with stunning detail.
    •Multidisplay capable
    With DVI, VGA (with adapter) and HDMI capabilities and DirectX 11 support, so you can connect a second monitor for additional work space (monitors not included).
    •15-in-1 media reader
    Supports SmartMedia, xD-Picture Card, Secure Digital, miniSD, CompactFlash I/II, IBM Microdrive, Memory Stick, Memory Stick PRO, Memory Stick Duo and Memory Stick PRO Duo formats.
    •Also supports MultiMediaCard, Reduced-Size MultiMediaCard, MultiMediaCard mobile and MultiMediaCard Plus formats.
    •2 USB 3.0 and 6 USB 2.0 ports
    For fast digital video, audio and data transfer.
    •Built-in high-speed wireless LAN (802.11b/g/n)
    Connect to the Internet without wires.
    •Bluetooth interface
    Easily link with other Bluetooth-enabled devices, such as a mobile phone or MP3 player.
    •Built-in 10/100/1000Base-T network interface
    For quick and easy wired Web connection.
    •Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit operating system preinstalled
    Provides a stable platform for word processing, Web navigation, gaming, media storage and more.
    •Software package included
    With Microsoft Office Starter 2010 (product key card required for activation; sold separately).
    •AMD, AMD Arrow logo, AMD Phenom, Cool'n'Quiet, HyperTransport and combinations thereof are trademarks of Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.

no more of this

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=algWjS2yiyE"]computer rage - YouTube[/ame]

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Outstanding Dude! :d

Well I fully upgraded my machine to Windows 8 Pro and I have to say that I am completely satisfied with the experience! The apps are second to none and everything, at this point, is running very efficiently. Most all of my current programs and apps were migrated in seamlessly with the full upgrade. I'm a happy camper!

If you want to upgrade, now's the time:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...13_na_body_1_1

I may make the move to. I am running Server 2012 and even though there are other admins that do not like the metro on it, I actually like it. I can have a complete overview on the screen and as a programmer, I am looking forward in making some cool apps.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    You can upgrade before Jan 31 for $40: http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/w...Null_Null_Null

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Well I fully upgraded my machine to Windows 8 Pro and I have to say that I am completely satisfied with the experience! The apps are second to none and everything, at this point, is running very efficiently. Most all of my current programs and apps were migrated in seamlessly with the full upgrade. I'm a happy camper!

If you want to upgrade, now's the time:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...13_na_body_1_1
    Well of course you are! You had a sharp pencil while taking notes!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast