Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good Read from Arrowhead Pride

Default Good Read from Arrowhead Pride

May 21st
    "I like what Daboll is doing with the offense. He had a nice blend of power and finesse with double tight."
    McCluster practiced with the receivers in the slot. He had really good cuts and loved his route running. Caught every pass.
    Daboll is building a respectful and encouraging relationship with the WRs and QBs. He demanded perfection from every player.
    I saw many times Daboll was encouraging McCluster and Baldwin on their route running and technique. Both looked really good.
    Amon Gordon was the 1st team nose tackle today. Powe 2nd and Dontari took reps at 3rd.
    Devon Wylie dropped 3 passes in practice but still has really good speed. Definitely has work to do on his cuts.
    I saw good things from the right side of the line during team. Asamoah, Winston and Boss are a powerful tandem with Hillis.
    Receiving order seemed to be 1. Baldwin 2. Breaston 3. McCluster 4. Copper 5. Horne 6. Wylie. Then a mix of the rest.
    Travis Daniels was playing some at free safety today.
    I think WR Coach Nick Sirianni is going to be a difference maker. He really had a good eye for the fine details in drills.
    I get the feeling Tim Biere maybe used more as a H-Back just from the routes and blocking I saw today. Pure guess though.
    May 24th
    the coach Cassel has been working with in Cally has helped. Better mechanics, quicker release, better spiral. Better accuracy.
    Ricky Stanzi has such a natural/smooth 3,5,7 step drops. And had some really impressive throws.
    Peyton Hillis is just a thumper. Perfect power back. Everytime he runs you hear pads pop.
    Jonathan Baldwin looked great again out there today. Just a beast of a man on the field.
    I liked what I saw from Martin Rucker. He can get vertical in a hurry and has improved his route running.
    David Mims has lost some weight. And does not look as stiff last year. Struggle in pass pro majority of team drills.
    Steve Breaston made some acrobatic catches today. He looked great on his route running as always.
    Josh Bellamy looked really good today. If he can work his way onto special teams. He has a shot.
    Donald Stephenson has a lot of work ahead of him from a technique standpoint.
    Dontari Poe finally got some reps on the 1st team in sub packages.
    The secondary was showing respect to Devon Wylie's speed. They gave him a huge cushion every time. And he took full advantage.
    Poe had a nice pass rush up the middle during practice that disrupted Cassel in the pocket.
    McCluster looked great again today. Same as Monday. Really impressed with Dexter.
    The team worked on some of their motion packages today. Definitely created some good mismatches with Wylie and Dexter.
    I really liked what I saw from Rodney Hudson today. He looks improved.
    Dexter Heyman had really fluid hips on his drop back in drills. He can turn his hips really well. Covers ground quickly.
    For those who don't know Matt Cassel has been working with pitching coach Tom House. He has also worked with Brees and Brady.
    I think House is a big reason why Matt's velocity and quicker release are really improved.
    Hemingway is going to have to figure out a way to get separation and acceleration out of his cuts.
    Brady Quinn struggles to throw that out routes with any accuracy. They are in the dirt or wide of the target.
    Studebaker was wild in his drop back coverage not much fluidity when changing direction.
    Three players who impressed me the most in Day 2 1. Jonathan Baldwin 2. Ricky Stanzi 3. Dexter Heyman
    3 Players who underwhelmed me in Day 2 1. Brady Quinn 2. Donald Stephenson 3. Steve Maneri
    I then tweeted Mr. Jacobs and asked which QB he thought looked the best so far through the OTA's and he replied:
    @Chiefs_All_Day Cassel without a doubt. But Stanzi looked better in day 2 and threw some WOW passes.
    My WR ranking (without Bowe) 1. Baldwin 2. Breaston 3. McCluster 4. Copper 5. Wylie 6. Bellamy 7. Hemingway 8. Kinnie
    My #Chiefs TE Rankings 1. Moeaki 2. Boss 3. Rucker 4. Biere 5. O'Connell 6. Maneri
    My #Chiefs RB Rankings 1. Charles 2. Hillis 3. Gray 4. McCluster 5. Draughn 6. Eachus
    I saw Baldwin and Boss standing next to each other today. I kid you not they looked like the same build. Boss 255. Baldwin 230
    every time I see Ropati Pitoitua I seriously ask myself. What is Turley from The Longest Yard doing out there?
    The most impressive thing about Dontari Poe is he is out there working without a signed contract. He is choosing to get better.
    Poe is having to retrain his way of playing FB. Completely retraining his technique and is listening to everything told.
    Poe being out there allows him 4 month jump to make an impact in regular season. 4 months to create better FB habits.
    from what I have seen. This offense will be about creating mismatches with motion and getting the speed guys into space.
    My overall impressions from TC last year to OTAs this year. This team is so organized. They go from drill to drill quickly.
    They are efficient and give max effort on every rep. It's just such a smooth practice. No wasted time. Really impressive.
    Best of all. The coaches get to COACH. Romeo doesn't meddle. Daboll, Sirianni and Zorn all get to coach and teach.
    I would say it is a blend of 2010 Chiefs, Patriots 2 TE set, and the Dolphins O last year.
    Shaun Draughn got a lot of touches today but he doesn't have the vision, cutting ability or speed of Cyrus Gray. Gray is your 3
    I know people want Bowe here, but its allowing Cassel to build a better chemistry/trust with Baldwin and Breaston.
    Shane Bannon has been the starting fullback out there. He hit the weight room hard
    So as you can see there is some pretty interesting stuff there, especially the parts about the QB's and the smoothness of the practice. I know this isn't the best looking post but I didn't really plan on spending a bunch of time learning how to format and all that good stuff (although I plan to when I get some time). I just wanted to get these tweets out there for everyone to see. Hope you guys enjoy!
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    Not to be Debbie downer, but why hasn't he signed yet? He has to be one of the only rookies in the league to not have signed yet.

Otherwise, great post, definitely gives me a lot of hope.
    Actually just read on nfl.com that there are a lot of first round picks who aren't signed yet. With the CBA the way it is it should be significantly easier to sign them. I was a little negative about the Poe pick, but he seems to be picturing forth the effort to be there with no contract and that speaks volumes to me. 100 day til kickoff!!! Go Chiefs!!
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

I too was not in favor of the poepik, but working hard in camp w/o a contract instead of going the holdout route does speak volumes on both his desire to make it on this team and his work ethic which some had questioned.

I thought Stanzi looked to be a great pick up after watching him in the pre-season last year, but after listening to all the excuses why he never saw the field last year, has the local media believing he mentally is not there yet and hoped a year or two to mature may help. There is also believe that they intentionally did not play him to make sure they did not break him mentally like some of the first round QB's thrown into the fire.

We will have to see how he does in a real game.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    I too was not in favor of the poepik, but working hard in camp w/o a contract instead of going the holdout route does speak volumes on both his desire to make it on this team and his work ethic which some had questioned.
    Complete agreement! This is how the man expects to make his living and I can't fault him one bit for trying to get the very best contract he can. Working out in camp shows that he is SERIOUS about wanting to be the very best player he can be. I'm sure he will sign soon and I suspect that if he stays healthy we will one day wind up spending a LOT of money to keep this guy. I think he is going to turn out very well indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek
    I thought Stanzi looked to be a great pick up after watching him in the pre-season last year, but after listening to all the excuses why he never saw the field last year, has the local media believing he mentally is not there yet and hoped a year or two to mature may help. There is also believe that they intentionally did not play him to make sure they did not break him mentally like some of the first round QB's thrown into the fire.

We will have to see how he does in a real game.
    I honestly think he was kept from playing last season to keep him from getting gun shy. So many rookie quarterbacks have been asked to make a difference in their first year and have wound up turning into flops because they lost their confidence after getting sacked a bunch of times, losing several games and hearing the "BOOOO"s. With how terribly Palko was playing that is the only reason I can think of that Stanzi didn't get sent in.

I think that Pioli thinks Stanzi is our QOTF (either soon if Cassel can't get it done this year or a few years down the road when Cassel starts to get long in the tooth) and is trying to break him in carefully.

That has been what I said all along with Stanzi, he needed developed, learn how to make the throws that he struggled with. since this is appears to be the case, he is a pretty smart kid, and was a good, vocal leader up here in iowa, this may be a VERY good thing! Great news that they are bringing him along, I am soooo excited for this team this year!!!
    (ps, still not giving up on Cassel lol)

why we did not see stanzi last year could have been a little haley bias. haley just thought he wasn't ready yet, and near the end w/orton in camp stanzi wasn't given a second thought. this year those watching him at practice seem to be very impressed, for what its worth.

Most of this team under hairey hailey was nothing aside of one big head scratching, migrane inducing stupidity-fest. He got drunk with power, and is just a hot headed big doodie head

Go Chiefs!!!!

being a BIG Penn State fan i got to watch stanzi every year and he does have what it takes, although that is never a guarantee he ever makes it in the nfl

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12