Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Priest is Wise

Default Priest is Wise

Chiefs running game could use Priest

By JOE POSNANSKI

function PopupPic(sPicURL, sHeight, sWidth) { window.open( "http://media.kansascity.com/static/popup.html?"+sPicURL, "", "resizable=1,HEIGHT=" +sHeight+ ",WIDTH=" +sWidth); }

After this latest Chiefs shipwreck, Priest Holmes stood at his locker, and he looked awfully good. There were a couple of reasons for this. One, Holmes has noticeably slimmed down and put on some muscle. It is amazing how much his body has changed in a few short weeks. He is apparently serious about his comeback.
    “I’m about 90 percent now,” he says. “I’m ready to go.”
    Two, the Chiefs ran for 10 total yards Sunday against Jacksonville. Ten stinking yards. This means that the entire Chiefs running game could not have gotten you from the entrance of the movie theater to the popcorn stand.
    Priest Holmes has rarely looked better.
    Why has the Chiefs’ running game gone into the sewer? That was the talk of the locker room after the Chiefs’ dead-battery 17-7 loss to the Jaguars. Offensive lineman Brian Waters said it is because of breakdowns. Coach Herm Edwards said it comes down to inconsistency. Running back Larry Johnson rather eloquently said nothing, which was fitting after his performance of nine carries, 12 yards and two disgusted helmet throws. Some blamed the offensive line, some blamed the play calling (which is getting old), some gave credit to Jacksonville’s tough defense.
    Nobody wanted to come out and say Larry Johnson isn’t running well.
    Nobody, that is, except Priest Holmes.
    “I talk to Larry about being more creative,” Holmes said. “I think that’s something he needs to work on. When the other team is putting everything to trying to stop you, you can’t get frustrated. That’s the worst thing you can do. You have to study them and find their weaknesses, and exploit those. There are no excuses. You have to find a way to get yards. And when you get your opening, you have to hit the home run.”
    Larry Johnson should cut out that quote, blow it up, put it on his wall and read it every day. He shouldn’t read it to get mad (that strategy obviously isn’t working). He should read it because in that one paragraph is the essence of what made Priest Holmes a great football player. Holmes came to beat you.
    Look: Holmes did not have the skills and talents of Larry Johnson. He did not have Johnson’s size, his strength, his speed. Holmes had to overcome devastating injuries and unending doubts. But he became the best running back in the NFL, he set a bunch of records, he scored 66 touchdowns in three seasons, all because of those words — he studied, and he found weaknesses in defenses, and he made no excuses, and he got yards.
    People never wanted to give him credit for it. Even now, you will hear people say, “Oh, it was just that Holmes was running behind a great offensive line.”
    Baloney. In 2000, the Chiefs were one of the worst rushing teams in the NFL. Their leading rusher had 697 yards. In 2001, with the same caliber of offensive line, Priest Holmes led the NFL in rushing. The next year, the Chiefs added Willie Roaf, Brian Waters came into his own, and Holmes had one of the greatest years in NFL history. The line was good, no doubt. The running back, though, was absolutely fabulous.
    Now, watching Johnson fume and mope and get tackled for losses, you can appreciate even more just what Holmes is about. This guy wasn’t even drafted. He overcame two injuries to his ACLs. He came back from a hip injury that doctors thought would end his career. Now, at age 34 (Sunday was his birthday), he shows up at the stadium every day for workouts and team meetings and film sessions, this after a concussion and neck injury so severe he lost feeling in his arms and legs and missed almost two full seasons.

I think we could use him one way or another.

Welcome to Arrowhead

Illinois... No longer .. Finally back home Blue Springs MO

Quote Originally Posted by m0ebr0 View Post
    I think we could use him one way or another.
    If nothing else we could have Priest be a running back coach till he is ready to play. that way he would be a positive influence again and a leader again, Also he wouldnt hurt the 53 man and he would I believe be able to workout with the Running Backs. That is if he cant come back and play this year.

If becoming a coach kills his eligibility or changes his availability if someone would let me know.

Also saw somewhere earlier someone on here suggested bringing in LJ's dad as a coach. Hmmm good idea IMO

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post
    If nothing else we could have Priest be a running back coach till he is ready to play. that way he would be a positive influence again and a leader again, Also he wouldnt hurt the 53 man and he would I believe be able to workout with the Running Backs. That is if he cant come back and play this year.

If becoming a coach kills his eligibility or changes his availability if someone would let me know.

Also saw somewhere earlier someone on here suggested bringing in LJ's dad as a coach. Hmmm good idea IMO
    I think thatd be great. We need to do anything to improve our run. Anything to do that sounds good to me.

Welcome to Arrowhead

I was thinking that this has been posted already, not sure though.

Move along, nothing to see here.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I was thinking that this has been posted already, not sure though.

Move along, nothing to see here.
    These arent the droids we're looking for.
    You can go about your buisness.
    Move along, move along.

Welcome to Arrowhead

betwwen lost and nowhere,southcentral ks.

it was already posted. but who cares,run with it.
    i can remember what a chief super bowl team looks like! ......

Quote Originally Posted by m0ebr0 View Post
    These arent the droids we're looking for.
    You can go about your buisness.
    Move along, move along.

OMG!!! This reminds me of one of the funniest things that I have ever heard.

Bear with me....

Setup: Jim Rome has a radio show. On which he gets alot of e-mails, from fans and listeners. Often the E-mail are from listeners, but are "signed" by some celebrity. Hopefully, you all remember Barry Bonds' press conference, after the news of his Supreme Court confession leaked. When all he did was announce a press conference, then show-up and take no questions, address no issues and accuse everyone in the room of being liars "too".

Events: Jim was rambling about how Barry appeared to be trying to use the "Jedi mind trick" on everyone, by avoiding the issues and calling everyone else liars. The Jedi mind trick statement was funny enough, but then he read an Email...

From: Barry Bonds..."Dear press, these are not the 'roids you are looking for."

It was amazingly funny, when I heard it.

Quote Originally Posted by bryonc View Post

Priest wants to play, not coach.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    OMG!!! This reminds me of one of the funniest things that I have ever heard.

Bear with me....

Setup: Jim Rome has a radio show. On which he gets alot of e-mails, from fans and listeners. Often the E-mail are from listeners, but are "signed" by some celebrity. Hopefully, you all remember Barry Bonds' press conference, after the news of his Supreme Court confession leaked. When all he did was announce a press conference, then show-up and take no questions, address no issues and accuse everyone in the room of being liars "too".

Events: Jim was rambling about how Barry appeared to be trying to use the "Jedi mind trick" on everyone, by avoiding the issues and calling everyone else liars. The Jedi mind trick statement was funny enough, but then he read an Email...

From: Barry Bonds..."Dear press, these are not the 'roids you are looking for."

It was amazingly funny, when I heard it.
    The force is a powerful influence on the week minded.

lol i LOVE IT priest need's to start smack talking LJ like a school boy cause that's how LJ is acting. he has his pocket's too full to run now???

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast