Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: King Carl called out by JT the Brick

Default King Carl called out by JT the Brick

Didn't catch the whole thing but he was basically talking about successful sports franchises and said something along the lines of...

Do you want somebody like Carl Peterson running your organization and being mediocre year after year or do you want(name I can't remember) from New England who puts a winner on the field year after year?

It blew me away because in his lead in to that statement I was already thinking "Boy Carl really applies to what he is saying here" and BOOM, he said that.

Like he read my mind or something.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Agreed; one such example was the "93" Chiefs, and just came up short in the AFC Championship game against Buffalo. I still believe that if Montana doesn't get knocked out of that game we would have had our third trip to the Super Bowl.

This is part of my problem. I don't want to have to look back at something that happened 14 YEARS ago! I am proud of our organization and think we just don't do enough every year to stay competitive.

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    First, I don't think we have ever fielded a "great" team.

The free agents I was speaking of, I think you know were O linemen and WR's

We do agree on this oversight in a very mild way. I don't think there was anything available, that we had a legitimate chance to sign, since the time I thought we needed either.

Law, Surtain and Harris were all old when we signed them and are even older today and on the downhill side of their careers. I'll play along with Edwards and Bell. Knight, ehh. whatever.

As I said, hindsight. They were all considered to be big pickups at the time. And Harris is still rather young. He's only 28. Surtain just turned 31. He was only 29 when we signed him.

Patriots??? Well, someone that was doin the drafting liked Brady!!! Did we draft before or after that year? I'm guessing after.

Ahaaahaaaahaaahaaahaaaaaa!!! Just so you know, the Patriots passed on Tom Brady, five times in that draft. He was a sixth-round pick. They didn't even know what they were getting.

Bengals, I was referring how they went from people wearing bags over their heads to people actually cheering for them. They were terrible for a looong time and now they are considered a good team in the league. We were considered an avg team and now are a bad team. We seem to be going the wrong way!

This, also, is ridiculous. They are a 'good team", while the 13-3 '04 Chiefs were an avearge team? Again, the Bengals haven't don squat. I have no clue how you can consider them a good team, when they haven't been to the second round of the playoffs and tell me how average the Chiefs have been, for exactly that same reason.

I just don't understand how you are ok with mediocrity?
    You seem like a fairly intelligent kid, don't you get tired of expecting the same ole thing every single year? You know that year after year, we are going to be avg. at best.

Nope. I fully expected several of our teams to go to and/or win a Super Bowl. I know a thing or two about an organization doing everything that they can to just fill seats. Not trying to field a champion. I am a Cubs fan. Until recently, the Cubs were as guilty as any team has ever been, for decades. The Chiefs have not been doing that.

If it's not the D then it's the QB. If it's not the QB, it's the O line. It's ALWAYS something with this team! A person would think that when a franchise ( unless your the Cardinals and even they seem to be on the right road this season but we've said that before!!! ) has been around this long and has actually not been far off from doing something special a couple times, they would make those few small tweaks or aquire a missing piece or two that would put them over the edge!

Exactly my point above. The offense was great and everyone knew e needed defense. What happened in the offseason, following the '04 playoff loss to the Colts? CP forced the resignation of the D coordinator, despite the stubbornness of Vermiel, then proceeded to pay out the nose, for free agents, on the D. And drafted with a heavy lean towards defense. Obviously, the effort was there, in every way. They were not attempting to fill seasts. They were doing what you are complaining that they never do.

We never seem to do that.

See above.^^^

We get right up to the edge and then what, we stand pat with what we have which wasn't enough in the first place!
    I disagree. I have seen the effort.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    That's tellin him.
    j/k

CP, GM for the Kansas City Chiefs. Do you realize that since he has been here for the last 19 years, every other AFC West team has been to the Superbowl? This includes Seattle from the old division. This is indicative to what I am talking about. Mediocrity. But if you look at it from a divisional competition. We are well below avg.

At some point the GM has to be responsible for his lack of hiring the right people to get the job done! It happens all the time to coaches and managers. That time is NOW!!!

CP, GM for the Kansas City Chiefs. Do you realize that since he has been here for the last 19 years, every other AFC West team has been to the Superbowl? This includes Seattle from the old division. This is indicative to what I am talking about. Mediocrity. But if you look at it from a divisional competition. We are well below avg.

At some point the GM has to be responsible for his lack of hiring the right people to get the job done! It happens all the time to coaches and managers. That time is NOW!!!
    While I definitely get angry with some of the moves that he doesn't make, I still think he has done a good job, in the big picture. I know that won't be a popular decision, but that is how I feel about it. On many occaisions, he has done his job well, while others have failed in theirs.

While I definitely get angry with some of the moves that he doesn't make, I still think he has done a good job, in the big picture. I know that won't be a popular decision, but that is how I feel about it. On many occaisions, he has done his job well, while others have failed in theirs.
    19 years and how many AFC Championships and NO Superbowls though?? Isn't the big picture to get to the Superbowl and win? When is it time to change things up? Guess it's a good thing he doesn't work for the Yankee's!!!

19 years and how many AFC Championships and NO Superbowls though?? Isn't the big picture to get to the Superbowl and win? When is it time to change things up? Guess it's a good thing he doesn't work for the Yankee's!!!
    Perfect example. What is the Yankees' playoff winning percentage the past five, or six years? You can get the best bunch of players, which is the GMs job, but that doesn't guarantee they will perform to the level of their capability. And the Yankees have no salary cap to contend with and a seemingly unending supply of cash.

Perfect example. What is the Yankees' playoff winning percentage the past five, or six years? You can get the best bunch of players, which is the GMs job, but that doesn't guarantee they will perform to the level of their capability. And the Yankees have no salary cap to contend with and a seemingly unending supply of cash.
    Bad example on your part! Cashman is the single winningest GM in MLB history!! He has been partly responsible for 5 World Championships for the Yankee's! Guess what, he's done it in less than 19 years!

Yankees:
    2001....World Series
    2002....Divisional Series
    2003....World Series
    2004....Championship Series
    2005....Division Series
    2006....Division Series
    2007....Division Series

Chiefs:
    2001....No playoffs
    2002....No playoffs
    2003....No playoffs
    2004....AFC Divisional
    2005....No playoffs
    2006....No playoffs
    2007....AFC Wildcard

Doesn't seem to be a perfect example to me.

I have said all along and will continue to say Carl is the problem!!!!! he need's to go. he is the longest running GM currently in the NFL and hasnt done jack crap!

Bad example on your part! Cashman is the single winningest GM in MLB history!! He has been partly responsible for 5 World Championships for the Yankee's! Guess what, he's done it in less than 19 years!

Yankees:
    2001....World Series
    2002....Divisional Series
    2003....World Series
    2004....Championship Series
    2005....Division Series
    2006....Division Series
    2007....Division Series

Chiefs:
    2001....No playoffs
    2002....No playoffs
    2003....No playoffs
    2004....AFC Divisional
    2005....No playoffs
    2006....No playoffs
    2007....AFC Wildcard

Doesn't seem to be a perfect example to me.
    Having been to the playoffs, with an unlimited cash supply,for the past four years, what have they accomplished? Zero worl series wins, or appearances. You can put the right talent there, and still not win it all. With the bankroll that Cashman is given, shouldn't the Yankees win the World Series every year? Peterson has a much smaller spending limit due to the salary cap. It is a perfect example, because while you can field the most talent, there is still no guarantee that they will accomplish what they should.

That is exactly what many of Petersons Chiefs teams have done. But the Yankees have done it for four straight years. Making them a perfect statement for underachieving teams.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast