Thread: Poe and Chiefs not Close?

Default Poe and Chiefs not Close?

I don't get this. Isn't the First two rounds basically slotted now under the current CBA... How are they not close? The Chiefs needs to tell him that this is his slotted Contract sign it or sit out and find other ways to fund all the stuff he has already purchased like his Escalade.

ESPN's Adam Schefter is reporting that while multiple draft picks are finally signing their first official contract in professional football, the Kansas City Chiefs and first round choice Dontari Poe are "not close" on a deal. Training camp opens for the Chiefs in a few days, so it was expected that the Chiefs would likely announce something soon. Apparently it's not as automatic as once believed.
    "Chiefs and Dontari Poe, the 11th overall pick, right now are not close," said Schefter. "The next 24 hours are said to be critical to getting a deal done and typically both sides will be motivated to get that deal done and to get Poe into camp. But right now as it stands Poe and the Chiefs are not close."
    It's easy for news like this to leak right around training camp time only to find itself resolved rather easily. However an agreement might not be as easy to reach as believed until now. Expect the two sides to eventually find an agreement, but the hope for all parties is that the defensive tackle doesn't miss an ounce of time at training camp.

From what I've heard there can be wording put into the contract that if on the 4th year the Chiefs cut Poe and they owe him 3 million that the Chiefs only have to pay the difference if he's picked up by a different team.

Say Poe is cut in year 4 but is picked up by team whoever for 2 million a year. If that wording is in there the Chiefs only owe Poe a million. If it isn't in there the Chiefs would owe Poe his 3 million and then team whoever would pay him 2 million. Kind of a big deal.

I've also heard that a 5th year option could be added but for the top 10 draft picks it's at a MUCH higher rate. Something like the top 10 of their position but for 11 and lower (which Poe is the 11th pick) it's something like the top third of their position. Not sure on the details but I know there are differences for where he was picked and the 5th year option pay.

Needless to say there are a LOT of stipulations that can be added, removed or modified. It's not quite as simple as saying here's a 4 yr, 11 million dollar contract now sign it.

JUst get it done why must to do things at the last minute ever time.

What a difference a day makes

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    What a difference a day makes
    Yeah, I didn't think they could be that far off. Glad it is done. Now he better live up to the hype.

I believe that Poe will be in Training Camp!

Wow, I am correct, I must be well informed.

this goes to show how much schefter knows funny poe signs the next day after schefter reports this.

Quote Originally Posted by tornadospotter View Post
    I believe that Poe will be in Training Camp!

Wow, I am correct, I must be well informed.
    I heard from my brother's best friends cousin who has an uncle who is best friends with a sister of a maintenance man who over heard a janitor talk about an assistant coach who had a conversation with Pioli who said that you are.