Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Just How Bad Cassel Really Is

Default Just How Bad Cassel Really Is

If you've found yourself to be a Cassel apologist, please read this. If you still are aft you read it, there is no hope for you:

Chiefs The Declaration Of Independence, MO - The People vs. Matthew Gus Brennan Cassel - ChiefsPlanet

[quote=My Man Orton;261646]
    Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

During the 2008 season with New England, Cassel was sacked once every 11 pass attempts. Behind the exact same offensive line Tom Brady was sacked once every 35 pass attempts. This is a particularly harsh indictment of Cassel's ability to detect, respond and escape pressure considering Brady (who is less athletic) was operating an offense that was more wide open, featured more of an emphasis down the field and was less dependent on running.

2011 - 1 sack every 12 attempts - 5th ranked pass blocking line.
    2010 - 1 sack every 17 attempts - 16th ranked pass blocking line.
    2009 - 1 sack every 12 attempts - 30th ranked pass blocking line.
    2008 - 1 sack every 11 attempts - 18th ranked pass blocking line.

For some weird reason it never seems to change
    As an EX season ticket holder I also saw a lot of pressure on our QB's including Orton and Palko. I also saw our running game struggle in short situations but I guess that was all Thomas Jones, and Jackie Battles fault or maybe the QB handing the ball off and not the offensive line itself.

I see football as a team sport. Everyone has to be doing their part to make things work. And the one huge glaring variable that your stats do support is who was the OC these years. The best year Cassel had was when Hailey was not calling the plays. Given the clear conflicts Hailey and Cassel had, and the struggles at RT and age in the middle, the offensive line wasn't great. The receivers weren't getting huge separation for the type of plays Hailey was calling, we had no running game.

There are a lot of variables that I can complain about other than Cassel which is why I pointed out that I am an EX season ticket holder. Most of those variables have been addressed. So other than Stanzi who I really wanted to see last year. What other options do we have right now.

I don't see the point of spending the time and energy trashing Cassel at this point. What does it accomplish. Clearly he has zero excuse this year given the talent around him. What if those other variables were a reason for his performance. Why not try and to embrace that and wait until the guy at least plays a game under Romeo and then trash the guy when he has failed. Hating on him now isn't going to change that he is our starter hating on a player before the season starts only adds negativetly that will snow ball to other areas the second something goes wrong.

I'm not going to throw Cassel under the bus as the article that Ryfo18 linked to suggests, BUT, by the same token he must step up his level of play & be more consistent.

What I mean by "stepping it up & being more consistent" is if anyone remembers the 2010 game in Seattle, it was in that game that he looked more like a real bonafide QB, than just a game manager.

That's what the Chiefs need to see more of from Cassel in the 2012 upcoming season.

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post
    I'm not going to throw Cassel under the bus as the article that Ryfo18 linked to suggests, BUT, by the same token he must step up his level of play & be more consistent.

What I mean by "stepping it up & being more consistent" is if anyone remembers the 2010 game in Seattle, it was in that game that he looked more like a real bonafide QB, than just a game manager.

That's what the Chiefs need to see more of from Cassel in the 2012 upcoming season.
    I agree 100%

Cassel has to play better I have said that a number of times. We have seen times when Cassel has gone out and LOOKED like a qb. The Seattle game the Vikings game this past season Haley got after him he went out and you could tell the difference in him. He went out and won that game. If he can show us that Cassel then the Chiefs will be a real good football team. If not then it's time to give Stanzi a shot.

The article posted does nothing but lay out the bad while ignoring a number of factors. That's why I have been supporting him as much as I have. He's a Chiefs player and when a Chiefs player is being unfairly criticized IMO I will defend that player 100 out of 100 times.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    I dont like cassel because he isn't good. 17-22 as a starter, 59 rating against teams that are .500 and over. 3-13 record against playoff teams, 29th, 19th and 30th the past 3 seasons in yards per attempt, that definitely won't cut it.

As a Chief, in games where Cassel's team rushes for less than 135 yards he is 5-17. In the five wins, Cassel's defense holds the opposition to an average of 15.4 points. So you better hope and pray this run game will execute well this year

So yes, I don't understand, as Ryfo said why anyone would think he can get us to that next step and be our guy.The Giants were top 5 in drops and Eli Manning had a 93 qb rating, averaged over 300 yards per game and was a major reason they won the super bowl.

You know OP, they won't win the division. I don't come here to troll or make anyone angry, and if I am right i certainly wont gloat about it, I just want our team to be better, I just dont see a future with Cassel. We really havn't seen any evidence from him that he can do it.

My man I have a challenge for you

Find me a QB that had success with nearly 50 dropped passes and a 29th ranked Defense. Find me 1 And I will agree with you 100% on Cassel.

The Chiefs have already won the division once with Cassel I know I know Cream puffs You see that's you're problem you never give Cassel credit from what he does do. Did you no that Drew Brees,Phillip Rivers,Matt Schab,Tom Brady,Peyton Manning,Jay Cuttler all lost to those creampuffs in 2010? The teams with that Horrible Matt Cassel managed to beat. Those are some pretty good QBs. Brees and Rivers lost twice to them. (if you include the playoffs with Brees) I would be much more willing to listen to you if you just give Cassel Credit where Credit is due. Cassel might have only 17 wins but that's in less then 3 full seasons of starts since he was hurt and it's more wins then the previous management that you praise over and over again for the 4 players they got that were good managed to win in 3 FULL seasons.

The truth is a lot of your criticism is very fair with Cassel. But not all of it. And you just have to learn to give him a tad bit of credit when it's earned.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Someone email this to pioli! Where is Connie Jo. She loves Pioli and Cassel.

Ryfo18 is my new favorite poster, if he says the qb of the future is stanzi i will agree. If he says we should bring back steve bono I agree. I nominate Ryfo as a moderator on this site.
    you are the lamest "fan" I have ever seen. you buy into this assinine biased one sided "article" where some moron writes hes opinion and finds a stat to back it up. Yet when its pointed out you have a hissy fit because people dont share your hatred of our QB?? Shut the fu** up, you regurgitate the same bullsh!t non stop around here...go watch your cowboys!!

Cassel does not win when we throw first...we have not been a throw first team since Dick Vermeil...we throw when we are behind and have to abandon the run game...what? your precious article doesnt mention things like that? I guess you have to leave things like that up to the thinkers. Bowe drops a lot of passes....but yeah, its Cassels fault.

No one here is saying Cassel is Brady or Manning or Brees or rogers but he is who we have and in all your ranting and crap you spew...you still have yet to name ONE guy who we should have replaced him with....the best solution you have come up with is a lateral move to Orton. You posts are old, your opinion is retarded....find some new reason to hate on the Chiefs dumbas$!!
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

I dont like cassel because he isn't good. 17-22 as a starter, 59 rating against teams that are .500 and over. 3-13 record against playoff teams, 29th, 19th and 30th the past 3 seasons in yards per attempt, that definitely won't cut it.

That is the whole teams record...you dont ever look at the whole picture. And the playoff team he lost to...went to the AFC Champ game and should have won that. One of the most dominanat defenses in the last decade...how many yards did Charles go for?? Oh yeah...but its all on Cassel.

So yes, I don't understand, as Ryfo said why anyone would think he can get us to that next step and be our guy.The Giants were top 5 in drops and Eli Manning had a 93 qb rating, averaged over 300 yards per game and was a major reason they won the super bowl.

You know OP, they won't win the division. I don't come here to troll or make anyone angry, and if I am right i certainly wont gloat about it, See post below...hypocriteI just want our team to be better, I just dont see a future with Cassel. We really havn't seen any evidence from him that he can do it.
    Wont win the divsion? 2010
    Someone email this to pioli! Where is Connie Jo. She loves Pioli and Cassel.

Ryfo18 is my new favorite poster, if he says the qb of the future is stanzi i will agree. If he says we should bring back steve bono I agree. I nominate Ryfo as a moderator on this site.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Def not the answer, but hopefully the running game can help him out.

Most of those qb's were the reason their offense scored, we are a rushing team, not a passing ( I can give you a reason or two why we aren't a passing team ;)

Ok I will admit it as I have said before, he played well against a bad schedule. Ok? He played conservative in 2010 and took care of the football. He doesn't do that against good teams.

Since you don't like to talk about 09, The past 2 seasons he has 10 td and 14 int vs .500 teams or better. Now stick him in against the colts and you will see those numbers improve. Its just too bad we cant play bum teams like the colts in the playoffs
    See right there is why you get the comments some give you. You can't just say he played well in 2010. You Have to throw in the Bad schedule line. If it was such an easy schedule then why did the QBs I listed who I think you would admit are good QBs lose to them? If they are so much better then why didn't they win against them????????? YES the running game was part of that. But so was Cassel. 27tds to 7ints was part of the reason. Every win in the NFL is earned.

The truth is and it's been said time and time again you win as a team you lose as a team. It's not Matt Cassel went 4-12 in 09 10-6 in 10 and 4-5 in 11 till he got hurt it's the Kansas City Chiefs went 4-12,10-6,4-5 Cassel is a part of the wins he's a part of the losses. There are times that Cassel has done his job led the offense to 30 plus points and they still lost. That's not on Cassel. You want to point to the record but you don't want to give any of the details on what goes into that record. I still Challange you show me a QB that had a great record and put up good numbers in the situation that Cassel walked into in 09. nearly 50 dropped passes and the 29th ranked defense. Theres more that goes into losses then just Cassel something you won't mention.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Because we move the ball with a rushing attack. That is usually the reason why we end up in the red zone. If the run is contained we lose, That is what I mean when I say "We don't have a capable qb to win games." Cassel can't do much when we throw more than we run. Because if the run is stopped, we are forced to throw and the end result is usually not good
    What those qbs I listed don't have good offense to put up points? Yes we used our rushing attack. There are many teams over the years who have built there team on the running game. It's been what the Chiefs have been based around outside of the Vermil era. Our rushing attack doesn't explain why those other top Qbs couldn't beat those cream puffs as you label them. What Cassels 27tds in 2010 had nothing to do with our wins in 2010?
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast