Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lawn advice needed

Default Lawn advice needed

Do we have any lawn experts on here? I have been fighting my yard for 2 years to get grass growing and am having ZERO results. I even paid a lawn company this year for fertilizing and insect/weed control. The weeds were down but the lawn itself looks even worse than it did this time last year.

I have so many bare areas I can't even keep seed around because mother nature always pulls his practical joke on me by sending a downpour the day after I seed and washing it all away.

I don't want a perfect lawn just a decent lawn.
    THAT quarterback is NOT a Pro Bowl quarterback. Never was and never will be.

Nobody?

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Nobody?
    Sorry bud; wished I could help, but I have no lawn experience at all.

Do we have any lawn experts on here? I have been fighting my yard for 2 years to get grass growing and am having ZERO results. I even paid a lawn company this year for fertilizing and insect/weed control. The weeds were down but the lawn itself looks even worse than it did this time last year.

I have so many bare areas I can't even keep seed around because mother nature always pulls his practical joke on me by sending a downpour the day after I seed and washing it all away.

I don't have that problem. I just don't mow and Boom! All kinds of stuff grows.

What kind of seed are you spreading? I would assume Rye at this time of year. After you spread the seed, you should put a fair amount of manure on it to keep it from washing away. Watering needs to be about 3 times a day for about 2- 4 mins per. Maybe 7am, 12pm and again at 4 or so. The seed needs to stay moist but not soaked. The manure provides a good saturation for the seed and keeps it wet. You should mix in a good Scott's winter lawn fertilizer with the seed so it spreads evenly. That's how we do it out here and it works great.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    I don't have that problem. I just don't mow and Boom! All kinds of stuff grows.
    Get off my lawn !!!

I use bluegrass. I would suggest having someone come do a fall 'Weed and Seed'. It wll eliminate the weeds and overseed yoor lawn. You could also call a lawn expert for a free estimate. They would likely tell you what needs to be done and give you an estimate.

Quote Originally Posted by admin View Post
    I use bluegrass. I would suggest having someone come do a fall 'Weed and Seed'. It wll eliminate the weeds and overseed yoor lawn. You could also call a lawn expert for a free estimate. They would likely tell you what needs to be done and give you an estimate.
    Already spoken with the "experts". I am not willing to spend the kind of money they are asking for my yard. I know I can do it cheaper, I just need to know WHAT to do.

Already spoken with the "experts". I am not willing to spend the kind of money they are asking for my yard. I know I can do it cheaper, I just need to know WHAT to do.
    Guru, without looking at your yard it would be very difficult to really see what is wrong with your yard. However I can address the problems you have specifically described, as well as some other common issues.

1) Seed washing away...as Hillbilly mentioned using some cover is the best method...however I'm not a huge fan of manure due to both the smell and have had trouble with weeds (seeds that weren't irradiated well enough)...I use Scott's Turfbuilder Seeding Soil

2) Watering schedule...this varies a lot based on the climate and soil conditions...for a starter guide you can use the watering guide on www.weather.com and advice can be found on www.lawncare.com (a Scott's website)

3) Soil conditioning...if you can before planting rototill the soil...if you have in-ground irrigation simply using an aerator and dethatcher will prepare you soil suitably for planting. Additionally test your soils Ph levels just to ensure you don't have an issue...soild test kits can be found at most nurseries, Home Depot etc. If the Ph is off, fertilizers or Vitamin B plant supplements, etc can be used to even the levels.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Quote Originally Posted by DrunkHillbilly View Post
    What kind of seed are you spreading? I would assume Rye at this time of year. After you spread the seed, you should put a fair amount of manure on it to keep it from washing away. Watering needs to be about 3 times a day for about 2- 4 mins per. Maybe 7am, 12pm and again at 4 or so. The seed needs to stay moist but not soaked. The manure provides a good saturation for the seed and keeps it wet. You should mix in a good Scott's winter lawn fertilizer with the seed so it spreads evenly. That's how we do it out here and it works great.

i have spread my seed many a time. luckily, it hasnt produced anything that grows yet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast