Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Home of the chiefs

Default Home of the chiefs

Im a life long chiefs fan but my father in law asked a good question during the athem home of the chiefs, who started it where did it come from i love it but a very valid question. Also why do ku fans say it before there games?

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Oh, and as far as the Chiefs Warchant...I did extensive research on that subject once upon a time. The original Warchant theme began with Florida State University, as Yoda mentioned above.

Here is a copy/paste I saved related to the origin of the Warchant. :)

The War Chant

"Florida State's "war chant" might have begun with a random occurrence that took place during a 1984 contest with the Auburn Tigers, but most Seminole historians might remember it to be a tradition that holds over thirty years in it's evolution. With the popular Seminole cheer of the 1960's, "massacre," led by members of the Marching Chiefs chanting its melody, so was the first stage of the current popular Seminole cry. In a sense, "massacre," was the long version of FSU's current "war chant".

During a very exciting game with Auburn in 1984, the Marching Chiefs began to perform the cheer. Some students behind the band joined in and continued the "war chant" portion after the band had ceased. The result, which was not very melodic at the time, sounded more like chants by American Indians in Western movies. Most say it came from the fraternity section, but many spirited Seminole fans added the "chopping" motion, a repetitious bend at the elbow, to symbolize a tomahawk swinging down.

The chant continued largely among the student body during the 1985 season, and by the 1986 season was a stadiumwide activity. Of course, the Marching Chiefs refined the chant, plus put its own special brand of accompaniment to the "war chant", and the result exists today.

By the time the Atlanta Braves started with it, the chant and the arm motion generally were associated with Florida State's rising football program. The Kansas City Chiefs first heard it when the Northwest Missouri State band, directed by 1969 FSU graduate Al Sergel, performed the chant while the players were warming up for a game against San Diego. Such a powerful cheer, FSU's "war chant" can be linked to Atlanta's and Kansas City's resurgence in their own respective leagues."
    An interesting bit of info there, I did not know this. Thanks Connie.
    *** Kansas City Chiefs 2013 - 2014 ***

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123