Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toribio-nosing Into Starting Job

Default Toribio-nosing Into Starting Job

Toribio hopes to make big impact for Chiefs

By ADAM TEICHER

The Kansas City Star

By ADAM TEICHER The Kansas City Star
    Updated: 2012-08-06T04:43:48Z

Nose tackle Anthony Anthony Toribio wants to make a big impact with the Chiefs.

ST. JOSEPH -- Anthony Toribio might have been tempted to pack his bags in the spring and head out of Kansas City, and if so, it would have made sense.
    The Chiefs had just drafted Dontari Poe, a 346-pound man with uncommon athletic ability, in the first round and that move figured only to push Toribio even further down the depth chart at nose tackle. Toribio stuck around and the Chiefs, who return to the training camp practice field today after taking a day off, are thankful he did. Toribio surfaced to the top of the depth chart while the Chiefs bring Poe along slowly.
    “Obviously, he’s a great player but they’re still giving me a chance to compete,” Toribio said. “That’s all you can ask for. I have a chance.”
    There’s also a good chance Toribio could be the starter on Sept. 9 when the Chiefs open the season against Atlanta at Arrowhead Stadium. The Chiefs could promote Poe to the starting lineup any time but appear content for the time being to use him mostly on obvious passing downs.
    That would leave most first and second downs for Toribio.
    The Chiefs will make the move with Poe when they believe he’s ready. Even Toribio marveled at his physical gifts.
    “He’s the strongest, most athletic lineman I’ve ever been around,” Toribio said. “He’s a monster. But learning our scheme is hard to do. We’re all trying to help him, but it’s hard. He’s picking it up fast. It’s just a matter of time.”
    But it may be selling Toribio short to say the timing has everything to do with Poe. Toribio was in contention for playing time last year before a preseason knee injury set him back.
    “He’s reading all the blocks and showing good technique and (beating) the blocks he’s supposed to (beat),” coach Romeo Crennel said of Toribio. “He did a really nice job last year. If he hadn’t been hurt, I think he would have been competing for the starting position.”
    After missing some practice time and exhibition games, the Chiefs placed Toribio on their practice squad, where he stayed all season. He received daily individual instruction from defensive line coach Anthony Pleasant, who played 14 seasons in the NFL.
    “It really helped me to be able to work with him on the side,” Toribio said. “That’s what’s helping me out right now, keeping me confident. So at first, I looked at going back on the practice squad as a bummer. I’ve been there before and I didn’t want to go back. But it gave me another year to understand and learn and get more coaching.”
    The teacher and pupil reviewed the necessary techniques every day at practice.
    “We’d emphasize the fundamentals over and over again,” Pleasant said. “We saw constant improvement from him as the season went on.”
    Even after drafting Poe, the Chiefs weren’t ready to give upon Toribio. He played small college football at Carson-Newman and bounced around in the NFL from Miami to Green Bay before landing with the Chiefs two years ago.
    Big guys often take longer to develop than smaller players. At 315 pounds, Toribio qualifies as a big guy.
    “The big guys, they play a position where the discipline that’s required to play the way I want them to play, it takes a little bit more time,” Crennel said. “I have to understand that and give them more time. But if they’re showing me they’re doing it the way I want it done and they’re making some progress, even though it might be slight and it might not be jumping out at everybody else, then I’m encouraged the guy might be able to help us at some point.”
    Perhaps the time has come for Toribio.“You’re never going to sell yourself short or say you don’t have a chance,” he said. “Things have kind of gone down a windy road for me but the opportunity appeared again. Now it’s up to me to take full advantage of it.”

Copyright 2012 The Kansas City Star. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

got this from KC Star...
    Posted on Sun, Aug. 05, 2012 08:25 PM
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

It would only be good to have a great option at NT but depth as well!

This is exactly what the Chiefs need is a solid rotation at NT to allow them to keep a fresh man in the game at all times.

Poe will get his share of playing time & will develop, but having either Toribio or Powe ( or both ) be able to play right now could make for one of the most stifling Chiefs defenses that we've seen in years.

I like that we have guys competing for positions and competing because they are good..... and not because the guy ahead of them is even worse.

Quote Originally Posted by LlamaNinja View Post
    I like that we have guys competing for positions and competing because they are good..... and not because the guy ahead of them is even worse.
    Is nobody else seeing this differently from the way it is being presented?

I mean, the story is being framed as the unknown player stepping up so well that he is pushing all others down the depth chart, but what I hear is that the Powe-Poe are not doing well enough to beat out the unknown guy.

I certainly HOPE that this is not just a case of a writer throwing perfume on a pig. But that is so incredibly common with writers, that I am unable to take this story as presented, with no agenda.

I am more worried, than excited, by this situation.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

I mean, the story is being framed as the unknown player stepping up so well that he is pushing all others down the depth chart, but what I hear is that the Powe-Poe are not doing well enough to beat out the unknown guy.

I certainly HOPE that this is not just a case of a writer throwing perfume on a pig. But that is so incredibly common with writers, that I am unable to take this story as presented, with no agenda.

I have the same concern, as well. Although I'll give Poe leeway and time to get used to Pro ball. By the same token, however, I would hope with his physical ability, that he would make a splash right away.

We'll see how it plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post

If Powe-Poe wouldn't be doing well enough and Toribio isn't the guy, Crenel would be using Gordon as a NT.
    The best Chilean fan.
    Follow me on twitter @ChileanChief

Quote Originally Posted by pojote View Post
    If Powe-Poe wouldn't be doing well enough and Toribio isn't the guy, Crenel would be using Gordon as a NT.
    Somehow, that is not too reassuring to me.

I do hope that this is a case of the unknown guy shining. But Gordon is not exactly some superstar that proves Toribio dominant for besting.

Maybe I am being too suspicious. But more often than not, these position battles where the unknown beats out the names turns out to he bad news, overall.

quote from crennel "HE [Powe] stll has a long way to go",
    powe himself has said that the nfl is totally different than college. he has to relearn technique, how to make reads and that the speed an skill level is totally different. he admitted has alot to learn but that he feels he is getting better each day.

based on that i too believe he is not where the coaches expected him to be, but also that they are not overly concerned yet. he will be the third down guy. I can't see us paying a situatiional player that kind of money after year two. so i am sure he will come around.....eventualy!!
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    quote from crennel "HE [Powe] stll has a long way to go",
    powe himself has said that the nfl is totally different than college. he has to relearn technique, how to make reads and that the speed an skill level is totally different. he admitted has alot to learn but that he feels he is getting better each day.

based on that i too believe he is not where the coaches expected him to be, but also that they are not overly concerned yet. he will be the third down guy. I can't see us paying a situatiional player that kind of money after year two. so i am sure he will come around.....eventualy!!
    I think you meant POE, not POWE. Or am I mistaken?

(Dontari Poe...Jerrell Powe)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast