We're not sure exactly why, but former NFL quarterback and current CBS announcer/radio guy at large Boomer Esiason has a real problem with Tim Tebow. Whether with the Denver Broncos or New York Jets, Tebow has done precious little to impress Esiason, who threw for 37,920 yards and 247 touchdowns in a 14-year NFL career that went from 1984 through 1997. For the second time in Tebow's short NFL career, Esiason is telling Tebow's team that the only way to solve whatever problems brought about by his presence is to get rid of the third-year player. "I'm just telling you right now, I would (cut him), and I'll tell you why I would," Esiason said on Monday morning , while on WFAN with show partner Craig Carton. "It's not in any way, shape or form — I think — benefiting this team ... All you have to do is watch him throw the ball. Just watch him." The Jets acquired Tebow from the Denver Broncos in March to fill a to-be-determined role -- he could be anything from a punt protector, to a return man, to a Wildcat quarterback, to a red zone fullback, to ... well, maybe the team's eventual starting quarterback, if Mark Sanchez has trouble leading the Jets to a successful season. Inevitably, Tebow's presence at Jets camp has caused a media circus this franchise hasn't seen since Joe Namath's salad days, and Esiason -- who played for the Jets from 1993 through 1995 after 10 years and a Super Bowl berth with the Cincinnati Bengals -- is not at all impressed with what he considers to be a serious distraction that could impact Sanchez's development. "I just think this whole thing — at least from my perspective right now in relation to who Mark Sanchez is, your starting quarterback — is a major mistake," Esiason said. "You can say whatever you want about Tim Tebow ... he played some of the worst football that any quarterback has ever played in the history of the game last year at times." Esiason closed out his attack by saying that the only reason the Jets would retain Tebow was because of his character. Wow. And to that point, this isn't the first time Esiason has insisted that Tebow's team should give him the boot. In 2011, as the Broncos were adjusting to their atypical quarterback in the second half of the season, Esiason set America straight in his own mind by blasting Tebow in a very similar way. "This is a bad move for two reasons," Esiason said last November 1 , after Tebow was held to 172 passing yards and sacked seven times in a 45-10 loss to the Detroit Lions. "One is, I don't believe that Tim Tebow knows what he's doing on the football field. … Number two, those hits that are coming his way are coming with authority. Meaning that players are out to get him." Well, that's where there might be a slight distance between reality and Esiason's opinion. The Lions are out to get every quarterback, and the fact that they were "Tebowing" after many of those sacks indicated a reflection of the media frenzy around Tebow more than anything else. *The Broncos were adjusting to a new and far more mobile quarterback as Tebow replaced Kyle Orton as the team's starter, and that was his second start of the NFL season. The week before, Tebow had led the Broncos to an 18-15 win over the Miami Dolphins by throwing two touchdown passes in the last 2:44 of regulation. He also executed the two-point conversion that took the game into overtime.

More...