Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Preseason thoughts

Default Preseason thoughts

We have now seen a preseason with this team and these are the things that Have stuck out for me.

First the good

The run game looks like the best area of the team getting Charles back and he has looked like Charles something that we really missed a season ago. The Run game will win us some games this year.

I think the coaching staff got the qb spot right. Cassel has to me clearly looked like the number 1 Quinn clearly the 2. The QB spot could of course be better but I think Cassel is going to be Cassel of 2010. He won't do a ton that wins us the games as I said the run game will do that. But for the most part I don't see him doing a lot to lose the games either.

And now for the not so good.

I think the thing that stands out the most is that the biggest area of need from this team has moved away from O line to the defensive secondary. They need a lot of help there. Flowers coming back will help that but they need depth. The biggest hope for me right now is that some other team is forced to cut a guy who we can pick up and help with this problem because right now that is our biggest worry.

Depth is still a issue with this team overall. If Cassel were to go down I think that would hurt. If we get a couple of guys hurt on the o line I think that will hurt big time. I think the same can be said about most other teams so it's not a big issue but I think it's more important for the Chiefs to keep certain guys healthy then for others. If we don't have the injuries pile up like they did a season ago I think we will have a pretty good season and like last year be in the race till the end.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

I think the thing that stands out the most is that the biggest area of need from this team has moved away from O line to the defensive secondary......

Agreed 100%. If everybody is healthy your starting 4 are Routt, Flowers, Berry, and Lewis, with Arenas, Elam, Brown, and Daniels the guys used in nickle and dime packages. That's not a bad group at all if everyone is healthy.

They aren't. And with Flowers and Lewis both questionable for opening day, as well as Brown being dinged up, things look very shaky.

The Chiefs took 19 DBs to camp I'm a little concerned about whoever they have scouting these guys and their ability to fit into Romeos system.

Pioli did make a statement the 53 would be "fluid" in its nature, hoping we can pick up someone to be a better role player behind what we know we're keeping.

I think we can easily see the management made a mistake by letting Carr walk and franchising Bowe.

What sense does it make to pay a hot/cold wr. 9.3 million, when we are a one dimentional offense with a qb that can't throw accurately more than 10 yards (if that). When we could have had Carr, a shut down, good enough to be a #1 corner, across from Flowers. We will see how valuable Carr was, not only as a corner but as a real leader on this defense, he was the piece that held the D. together........ It makes no sense to sign Bowe, and not sign a real passer.

On the positive side, the NT position looks to be tied up and should continue to improve thoughout the season.

Our run game looks to be excellent, but will need to complete some passes here and there to keep that running smoothly.

Our Ol in greatly improved, but still seems to not be able to pick up the blitz, but this should improve as well as the season progresses.

I also don't really make too much out of the big losses, in the last 3 games, other then we were searching for backups and didn't need anyone hurt.

Overall I don't think we improved the offense enough to justify having lost Carr on the Defense.
    Last edited by 70 chiefsfan70; 08-31-2012 at 07:19 PM. Reason: can't spell

Quote Originally Posted by 70 chiefsfan70 View Post
    I think we can easily see the management made a mistake by letting Carr walk and franchising Bowe...Overall I don't think we improved the offense enough to justify having lost Carr on the Defense.

I am glad I'm not the only one who said this...since they did it.
    On top of loading up with other WR, we get a project from Oakland with the history of collecting laundry! Aaaargh!!!
    *I deleted my diatribe about Stanzi, Carr, and Bowe lol you all wouldn't wanna read it from a newb anyway*

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    Hey Hey alright, I think we have a My Man Orton Jr. in the making here
    God help us all..

Quote Originally Posted by bricooper78 View Post

I am glad I'm not the only one who said this...since they did it.
    On top of loading up with other WR, we get a project from Oakland with the history of collecting laundry! Aaaargh!!!
    *I deleted my diatribe about Stanzi, Carr, and Bowe lol you all wouldn't wanna read it from a newb anyway*

Post it this is a discussion board after all

Well, I am the one who's been yelling the whole time that Stanzi is not an NFL QB.. so there is that spot he's eating up, He wouldn't be on a team I coached, as he can not beat out any QB on the roster for a spot.

We needed depth, good, quality depth in the defense, on the corners, FAR more than we needed to retain D-Bowe.
    Adding Routt would've been okay had we kept Carr.

Short end, we have other WR options. We also have a QB that doesn't fling the ball everywhere, every time. We are a run first team, be what we are. No reason spending giant money on a prima donna WR who isn't the threat he sees himself being.

oh yea, PS

Quote Originally Posted by My Man Orton View Post
    And our depth as far as the preseason goes, especially in the secondary has been absolutely horrible

Baldwin hasn't done anything.

I am more worried about the secondary then Baldwin we have ran a very bland offense most teams don't show much of what they have in the preseason. The secondary has been so bad I think there is a reason for worry there.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Not trying to sound completely idiotic here, but I grew up a baseball kid.
    And a Cubs fan.
    went to a Cards/Cubs game @Busch back in 8th grade, right behind 3rd base, 1 run game, which we missed, we gave into hunger, and missed the only score.
    The only part I remember was watching Sammy Sosa strike out to end the game with runners on 1st and 2nd.

That was the last day I watched baseball, or listened to a game.

After that summer, I heard a Chiefs broadcast, and so far the rest is history...

I feel jinxed, like I am the reason "my teams" suck lol

I don't want to lose the luster of football, but every year having the huge build up (at least we've had that the last couple years, hope) to be slammed back down to earth, I may just have to give up and just go back 100% into racing.. this is too much for my aging, fat heart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast