Thread: Will The Real Po[w?]e Please Stand Up

Default Will The Real Po[w?]e Please Stand Up

Powe, not Poe, battling Toribio at nose tackle

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

By RANDY COVITZ The Kansas City Star
    Updated: 2012-08-14T00:53:08Z

SHANE KEYSER
    Chiefs defensive lineman Jerrell Powe danced after sacking Arizona Cardinals quarterback Richard Bartel in the fourth quarter on Friday night.

One of the most competitive battles in Chiefs camp is at nose tackle, where Anthony Toribio is starting ahead of first-round pick Dontari Poe and second-year man Jerrell Powe, a sixth-round pick in 2011.
    Toribio made solo tackles in each of the No. 1 defense’s series during the preseason opener Friday against Arizona, stopping LaRod Stephens-Howling in his tracks after a 1-yard gain; and dropping Alfonso Smith for a 1-yard loss. Powe was credited with a sack. Poe did not scratch the scoresheet.
    “Toribio made some plays, which we liked,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said. “The young Poe, he’s still learning, and he gave good effort. He’s trying to learn to do the things the way we want them. He’s not there yet.
    “And P-O-W-E … he got in there, he made a play. He’s improved from where he was last year. The completion is still a competition. It’s not a bad thing to have a couple or three guys to play the position, if they can do it.”

this is going to get REAL confusing
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by IslandKing77 View Post
    So, this is a great article if you don't know anything about the 3 - 4 defense or how Romeo operates it with the Chiefs.

They have stated, time and time again, that Poe is the starting nose tackle in the sub package, not the base defense. The Chiefs ran the sub package 50% of the time last season. Where Poe is on the depth chart regarding the base unit is irrelevant.

I'm going to have to trust the judgement of the guy with the proven ability to run a 3 - 4 defense to know what he is talking about with regards to bringing a new player along. Poe is the future at nose tackle for the Chiefs, that's not even a debate. What takes time to develop is rewriting the instinct of the player. Instead of just rushing at the QB, defensive lineman in the base package are expected to hold their ground, tie up the offensive line to keep the linebackers free, and then shed blockers and flow to the play as it develops.

Most people obviously have no concept of this and they're the same people who were/are calling Jackson and Dorsey a 'bust'.

But that's fine, if you want to trust a sports writer with enough skill to get a job in Kansas City but go no further, over a multiple super bowl winning defensive coordinator, go ahead. Obviously defensive lineman is an easy position, they grow on trees and that is why there are so many of them awarded rookie of the year.

I fully agree with you. Unless your name is Suh, it takes at least a second season and sometimes a third, for a DT to really get it. And like you said the front line of a 3 4 Defense has a job to hold the offense line back to free the LBers, therefore the linebackers get the tackles and or sacks.

All I have to say is, it is nice to have competition for all positions in the preseason. Out of camp we should have quality backups at positions. To add, I like the feel and energy the players had and translate to the field the first Preseason game.

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    gee whiz i thought i understood pretty darn good the concepts of the 3-4, 4-3, and hybrids. again this is not the post to be carved into a stone tablet and brought down the mountain, just a little interesting preseason info with a nifty confusing name twist thrown in for fun. unbunch the panties, have a frosty mug and don't worry until kickoff time week one!!
    I will have one of those!I will agree.

All I have to say is I don't care what people say the pick sucks. We don't need a project player with the 11th pick. Playing him just in nickel situations was not what we need a NT to be when we drafted NT based on Need. It bothers me that Crennel is already changing his tune on what he said Poe will do the day after we drafted him and from what he is saying today. When we drafted him he was going to be a run stuffer and come out in Nickel situations. Now he is a passing situation only.

There is nothing we can do about the pick now, but I am glad Tribio and Powe stepped up to fill the void that Poe is failing to grasp.

Funny, last year the talk was about Powe was a bust...now its Poe. Its almost like D linemen take more than a preseason game to develop. As far as the pick sucking...wouldnt have been my first choice, but it was the best player available for our biggest need.
    The only reason a beer sweats around Canada is because he's decided it will be the next beer he drinks.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Funny, last year the talk was about Powe was a bust...now its Poe. Its almost like D linemen take more than a preseason game to develop. As far as the pick sucking...wouldnt have been my first choice, but it was the best player available for our biggest need.
    especially if their name happens to be Po/we.

Quote Originally Posted by Canada View Post
    Don't know who called Powe a Bust being a 6th rounder, plus he had Kelly Gregg in front of him. I guess drafting Poe as a top need meant he was a bust in the eyes of the Chiefs unless they gave him the same time line as they are giving Poe.

Now I would argue that the best player for need would have also been Fletcher Cox to possibly replace Tyson Jackson or Glenn Dorsey as his contract is coming up. Or even David DeCastro to upgrade the offensive line which after week one does not appear to be as big of need but it was Arizona.
    Last edited by Seek; 08-15-2012 at 02:49 PM.

[QUOTE][ Seek*Hall of FamerFavorite Past Chiefs Player: Will ShieldsFavorite Current Chiefs Player: Derrick JohnsonChiefs Fan for 14 years*Member Since: Jun 2008Location: Kansas CityPosts: 2,115*ArrowCash: $496928*DonateAll I have to say is I don't care what people say the pick sucks. We don't need a project player with the 11th pick. Playing him just in nickel situations was not what we need a NT to be when we drafted NT based on Need. It bothers me that Crennel is already changing his tune on what he said Poe will do the day after we drafted him and from what he is saying today. When we drafted him he was going to be a run stuffer and come out in Nickel situations. Now he is a passing situation only.*There is nothing we can do about the pick now, but I am glad Tribio and Powe stepped up to fill the void that Poe is failing to grasp.__________________ /QUOTE]

Seek u need to go back to the draft amd listen again what crennal said. He said poe could play every down and stay in on nickel and help push the pocket. He said we got hurt last year from people running on us while we were in nickle and thats what crennal is doing putting him in on nickel. U just upset cuz we didnt get ur guy and want to make up a reason to criticize. Crennal never said he is only a rjnn stuffer and wojkd come out on nickel. He said he could repeat could be everydown cuz no one knows how fast we can learn to play with the right technigwue. Wilfork was the same way. Just cant expect him to learn it overnight. I was nervous about the pick as well but im not gking to not give him a chance. But crennal did say he was going to use poe in nickel cuz thats what killed us last year was when they ran when we were in nickel.

By the way before u criticize my typing its cuz im mobile and tyling on my cell. So forgive me.

Ok it is very debatable if Poe in the future at NT. I don't care what he does this year we won't be able to say for sure if he's a bust til year 3 or 4. I don't know of anybody that called Powe a bust, as matter of fact I heard good things about him and after this draft I fully expected him to play over Poe. The main reason being: Poe was second team all-conference USA and you're telling me he's gonna be a force in the NFL? Not one dominate DL in the NFL was as bad as Poe in college. Powe was more dominate in the SEC that Poe was in conference USA, so why would we not expect Powe to be better? And don't tell me combine numbers. Poe was just as athletically gifted while he was average as Memphis.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast