Thread: Will The Real Po[w?]e Please Stand Up

Default Will The Real Po[w?]e Please Stand Up

Powe, not Poe, battling Toribio at nose tackle

By RANDY COVITZ

The Kansas City Star

By RANDY COVITZ The Kansas City Star
    Updated: 2012-08-14T00:53:08Z

SHANE KEYSER
    Chiefs defensive lineman Jerrell Powe danced after sacking Arizona Cardinals quarterback Richard Bartel in the fourth quarter on Friday night.

One of the most competitive battles in Chiefs camp is at nose tackle, where Anthony Toribio is starting ahead of first-round pick Dontari Poe and second-year man Jerrell Powe, a sixth-round pick in 2011.
    Toribio made solo tackles in each of the No. 1 defense’s series during the preseason opener Friday against Arizona, stopping LaRod Stephens-Howling in his tracks after a 1-yard gain; and dropping Alfonso Smith for a 1-yard loss. Powe was credited with a sack. Poe did not scratch the scoresheet.
    “Toribio made some plays, which we liked,” Chiefs coach Romeo Crennel said. “The young Poe, he’s still learning, and he gave good effort. He’s trying to learn to do the things the way we want them. He’s not there yet.
    “And P-O-W-E … he got in there, he made a play. He’s improved from where he was last year. The completion is still a competition. It’s not a bad thing to have a couple or three guys to play the position, if they can do it.”

this is going to get REAL confusing
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

The glass half empty fans are going to whine because he's not a Pro Bowl DT after his first preseason game. The glass half full fans realize it will take time to see what he is capable of as a DT in RCs system. As a DT in RCs 3-4 he is basically like having to learn a new position from what he played in college. With his physical ability if he listens to RC and the DL coach he should turn out to be a really good 3-4 DT in time.
    The Chiefs are Back!

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    By the way before u criticize my typing its cuz im mobile and tyling on my cell. So forgive me.

STOP TEXTING w/driving, accounts for as many driving fatalaties as drunk driving!!!!
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

[quote=jason1981;262609]
    [ Seek*Hall of FamerFavorite Past Chiefs Player: Will ShieldsFavorite Current Chiefs Player: Derrick JohnsonChiefs Fan for 14 years*Member Since: Jun 2008Location: Kansas CityPosts: 2,115*ArrowCash: $496928*DonateAll I have to say is I don't care what people say the pick sucks. We don't need a project player with the 11th pick. Playing him just in nickel situations was not what we need a NT to be when we drafted NT based on Need. It bothers me that Crennel is already changing his tune on what he said Poe will do the day after we drafted him and from what he is saying today. When we drafted him he was going to be a run stuffer and come out in Nickel situations. Now he is a passing situation only.*There is nothing we can do about the pick now, but I am glad Tribio and Powe stepped up to fill the void that Poe is failing to grasp.__________________ /QUOTE]

Seek u need to go back to the draft amd listen again what crennal said. He said poe could play every down and stay in on nickel and help push the pocket. He said we got hurt last year from people running on us while we were in nickle and thats what crennal is doing putting him in on nickel. U just upset cuz we didnt get ur guy and want to make up a reason to criticize. Crennal never said he is only a rjnn stuffer and wojkd come out on nickel. He said he could repeat could be everydown cuz no one knows how fast we can learn to play with the right technigwue. Wilfork was the same way. Just cant expect him to learn it overnight. I was nervous about the pick as well but im not gking to not give him a chance. But crennal did say he was going to use poe in nickel cuz thats what killed us last year was when they ran when we were in nickel.
    I don't recall hearing it that way, but it does not change the fact we drafted a project at 11. You draft projects in rounds three and higher.

I am not calling him a bust after one pre-season game, but I did not like what I saw Friday night, and I definately did not like what I saw at Practice on Tuesday. Maybe he was just flat on Tuesday.

Or maybe I should just shut up and don't worry about a player that a head coach had great things to say only to have his tune change after camp has started to making excuses for the same player and saying it will be almost a year and that he hopes he can help the team this year.

One i wasnt driving and typing. Secondly seek i dont think crennal has changed his tune with poe. I think hes just trying to tamper everyones huge expectations kf him and to take some pressure off of him.

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    One i wasnt driving and typing. Secondly seek i dont think crennal has changed his tune with poe. I think hes just trying to tamper everyones huge expectations kf him and to take some pressure off of him.
    Oh he is tempering everyone's expectations but those expecations came from him after drafting him. His tone has completely changed from being a very excited coach to having Poeto an exhausted coach defending Poe and basically saying it will be a while and that they hope he can help the team.

Like I said, he is drafted and there is nothing we can do about it now, but I can still voice my opinion that I am not pleased about drafting another Defensive Lineman.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Oh he is tempering everyone's expectations but those expecations came from him after drafting him. His tone has completely changed from being a very excited coach to having Poeto an exhausted coach defending Poe and basically saying it will be a while and that they hope he can help the team.

Like I said, he is drafted and there is nothing we can do about it now, but I can still voice my opinion that I am not pleased about drafting another Defensive Lineman.
    I find it funny that his tone has had to change along with people expectations. When this pick was made a lot of people including myself hated it! The guy didn't really produce (because teams ran away from where ever he was at), he'd been moved all over the line, didn't have coaching and because of it was very raw.

Now I'm not quite sure how some thought that Poe would come in, have 3 months of training and suddenly light the world on fire. Poe is a project and if Crennel has had to change his tune I think they over thought just how ready this guy was.

I'm sure Poe will get limited playing time this year since he's learning and playing just one spot on the line. Next year people will be calling him a bust and saying to drop him off the roster. I'd be shocked and extremely happy if before year thee we saw any production. I will only apply my expectations of Poe as a first round pick in year three and four of his contract.

Well I personally liked getting Poe.... BUT I wanted us to trade down when we went and picked him up which we didn't. So I was thinking well at least we got our guy, but seeing him play against the Cardinals he looked alright BUT that was against 2nd and 3rd string guys. I am very disappointed with how much it cost to get him, as a player I hope he develops and I am hoping our NT looks as good as he did against the Cards all season.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123