Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: bowe is back wr signs franchise tag

Default bowe is back wr signs franchise tag

Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe is ready to get back to work.
    Bowe, the franchise player who has been absent from all offseason work, training camp and the start of the preseason, has now signed his franchise tender.
    That means Bowe will play this season for a base salary of $9.5 million, and the signing now means he’ll have three weeks to get up to speed before the start of the regular season. There had been conflicting reports in the last couple of weeks about how soon Bowe would sign, but there was little doubt that he’d be ready to go for Week One, and now that is assured.
    Bowe is the last of the franchise players to sign with his team. The list of high-profile NFL holdouts is now down to two: Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, who hasn’t signed his one-year restricted free agent tender, and Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who has two years left on his current contract but is holding out in the hopes that the Jaguars will give him a new deal.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    And yet Chiefs fans seem so ready to discard the guy?

I really don't get it.
    It's because Bowe doesn't care about anyone or anything but Bowe. That's the impression I get for him sitting out most of training camp with a new HC, new OC, and a new offense to learn. I'm not a fan (due to his attitude, not his ability as a football player), and I don't think Pioli is either.
    SHUT IT

And yet Chiefs fans seem so ready to discard the guy?

I really don't get it.
    Quote Originally Posted by chief31
    I have never seen a WR as good as he has been, on this team. And I simply can not go on this "let's get ready to lose him and.move.on.without a solid WR to fill his shoes" mentality that I seem to be seeing.
    Don't get me wrong. I like Bowe and he is certainly a very good receiver.

And of course, I don't know anything about what Bowe was looking to get from a long term contract, but there is not much doubt in my mind that it was VERY BIG MONEY.

What bothers me about Bowe is the drops. Certainly EVERY receiver drops some passes and the more you get thrown to the more you are going to drop. But watching Bowe over the last few years I am convinced that Bowe is just floating along relying on his talent to get him a big payday while if he were to TRULY apply himself to trying to be a world class receiver I think he could do it and become a "once in a generation" receiver.

His failure to do so suggests to me that he is basically lazy and I would hate to see us pay HUGE money to someone who is mentally lazy.

Where did I say we had to keep one, or the other?

I simply said that I think that that is what Pioli might be looking at.
    And what makes you think that? You think Scott wants to replace Bowe with Baldwin. Why? I think he wants to keep both, because he [b]forced[/] Bowe to stay. And he planned ahead to do it, getting Routt because he knew that keeping Bowe would probably mean losing Carr. That's already a pretty heavy price to pay for a player you are looking to replace.

Next, I'd like to know how much Bowe is asking. Could you share that information?
    Sure. He is asking for more money than he is worth and more than the Chiefs are willing to pay. A lot more, because if it was just a little more they would have been able to reach a compromise. Pioli ahs a history of paying players a fair market value (Hali, Flowers, Succup). Why wwould Pioli frnachise Bowe and then lowball him? That's not his way.

I have never seen a WR as good as he has been, on this team. And I simply can not go on this "let's get ready to lose him and.move.on.without a solid WR to fill his shoes" mentality that I seem to be seeing.
    I agree. I don't think the Chiefs want to lose him. They are willing to overpay him this year, but not to foolishly overpay him long-term.I predict (if he plays well this year) the Chiefs will sign him to a heavily incentive laden contract with a reasonable guarantee.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    And what makes you think that? You think Scott wants to replace Bowe with Baldwin. Why? I think he wants to keep both, because he [b]forced[/] Bowe to stay. And he planned ahead to do it, getting Routt because he knew that keeping Bowe would probably mean losing Carr. That's already a pretty heavy price to pay for a player you are looking to replace.
    Well, if you were hoping to replace a star WR, then you would draft one in the first round. And you might delay any long-term agreement with the player you are trying to replace. Then, if your replacemtent guy does not immediately perform at a high level, you would probably look to keep the veteran around for a year to get your placement player another year to prove he can fill in the void of losing him.

NOW... It is not that I expect that Pioli WANTS Bowe gone. But that he might be trying to de-value Bowe by showing that he is not needed as much.

I am not saying that that is a bad thing. Just that it could well be promoting dissent between the two sides in contract talks. And it also would give Pioli the motive to avoid a long term contract, since Baldwin's emergence could slow Bowe's stats. And the incentive of having a viable back-up plan in Baldwin.

Are you actually going to suggest that none.of that is a factor?

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Sure. He is asking for more money than he is worth and more than the Chiefs are willing to pay. A lot more, because if it was just a little more they would have been able to reach a compromise. Pioli ahs a history of paying players a fair market value (Hali, Flowers, Succup). Why wwould Pioli frnachise Bowe and then lowball him? That's not his way.
    So.... What are the numbers, as opposed to the assumptions?

I mean you say thee things with such confidence that you must have the actual dollar amounts.

Did either side give any ground during negotiations? Or was Bowe just purely out of his mind throughout the whole process?

How many long term offers did The Chiefs make to him?

Seriously.... You are assuming based off of a bias. You have clearly determined, knowing nothing about the talks, that Bowe is the unreasonable party involved.

I like Bowe, and think he is a key part of our offense. His downfield blocking ability has helped this run-first offense break the big runs that JC and others have had over the years. Yes, he has some easy drops, but he can usually be counted on to make that amazing catch in the endzone (which hopefully will happen a lot).

So here are my preferences:

1. I want to keep Bowe long term, have him retire a Chief.

However, the reality is that maybe he doesnt want to be here, maybe he wants more than we are willing to offer, maybe he is offended by a low ball offer from Pioli, or maybe Pioli will think it is not worth it to spend big bucks on a WR when we potentially have one in Baldwin. I dont know which (if any) are true, but I have a bad feeling that when the next offseason comes, Bowe is going to go to the highest bidder unless he is franchised again (which would probably be too much $$$). I tend to be a pessimist, so I dont think Bowe staying is likely.

2. If we arent going to be able to keep him long term, trade him for a 1st round pick.

If the reality is that he doesnt want to be here, then I say get him out the door NOW. I am sure there is some team out there willing to give their 1st round pick for him (hopefully more than that) and has the money to pay him the salary the he wants. If that is the case, we should try to get something out of him now before he walks and we are left with nothing.

In summary, I hope we keep Bowe. If not, business is business, and I would rather we trade him for something that is worth our while, rather than see him walk in Free Agency. Unfortunately, once the trade deadline has passed, we have no option other than to wait until the end of the season and negotiate with him and hope he likes what he hears. Maybe Pioli knows that Bowe doesnt want to be here after this year. If that were the case, and I were Pioli, I would be calling teams to see what they would offer me for Bowe.

Afterall, we still have to resign Branden Albert and Glenn Dorsey (both their contracts are up this year).

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I like Bowe, and think he is a key part of our offense. His downfield blocking ability has helped this run-first offense break the big runs that JC and others have had over the years. Yes, he has some easy drops, but he can usually be counted on to make that amazing catch in the endzone (which hopefully will happen a lot).

However, the reality is that maybe he doesnt want to be here, maybe he wants more than we are willing to offer, maybe he is offended by a low ball offer from Pioli, or maybe Pioli will think it is not worth it to spend big bucks on a WR when we potentially have one in Baldwin. I dont know which (if any) are true, but I have a bad feeling that when the next offseason comes, Bowe is going to go to the highest bidder unless he is franchised again (which would probably be too much $$$). I tend to be a pessimist, so I dont think Bowe staying is likely.

2. If we arent going to be able to keep him long term, trade him for a 1st round pick.

If the reality is that he doesnt want to be here, then I say get him out the door NOW. I am sure there is some team out there willing to give their 1st round pick for him (hopefully more than that) and has the money to pay him the salary the he wants. If that is the case, we should try to get something out of him now before he walks and we are left with nothing.

In summary, I hope we keep Bowe. If not, business is business, and I would rather we trade him for something that is worth our while, rather than see him walk in Free Agency. Unfortunately, once the trade deadline has passed, we have no option other than to wait until the end of the season and negotiate with him and hope he likes what he hears. Maybe Pioli knows that Bowe doesnt want to be here after this year. If that were the case, and I were Pioli, I would be calling teams to see what they would offer me for Bowe.

Afterall, we still have to resign Branden Albert and Glenn Dorsey
    (both their contracts are up this year).

This is why I don't think Bowe will be a Chief for his whole Career If we give him the contract he wants we will lose some very valuable players. I think we can tag him again next year I say we lock up Albert and Dorsey tag bowe again and then trade him if a deal doesn't get done.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    Don't get me wrong. I like Bowe and he is certainly a very good receiver.

And of course, I don't know anything about what Bowe was looking to get from a long term contract, but there is not much doubt in my mind that it was VERY BIG MONEY.

What bothers me about Bowe is the drops. Certainly EVERY receiver drops some passes and the more you get thrown to the more you are going to drop. But watching Bowe over the last few years I am convinced that Bowe is just floating along relying on his talent to get him a big payday while if he were to TRULY apply himself to trying to be a world class receiver I think he could do it and become a "once in a generation" receiver.

His failure to do so suggests to me that he is basically lazy and I would hate to see us pay HUGE money to someone who is mentally lazy.
    This is what I think also.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

Afterall, we still have to resign Branden Albert and Glenn Dorsey (both their contracts are up this year).
    EXCELLENT POST!!!!!

What bugs me about Bowe is that it almost seems as if the QB has to make a concentrated effort to place the ball where it's nearly uncatchable to get him to actually focus on making the catch. If you hit him in stride between the numbers he has shown the propensity to drop the ball much of the time.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123