Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: bowe is back wr signs franchise tag

Default bowe is back wr signs franchise tag

Chiefs receiver Dwayne Bowe is ready to get back to work.
    Bowe, the franchise player who has been absent from all offseason work, training camp and the start of the preseason, has now signed his franchise tender.
    That means Bowe will play this season for a base salary of $9.5 million, and the signing now means he’ll have three weeks to get up to speed before the start of the regular season. There had been conflicting reports in the last couple of weeks about how soon Bowe would sign, but there was little doubt that he’d be ready to go for Week One, and now that is assured.
    Bowe is the last of the franchise players to sign with his team. The list of high-profile NFL holdouts is now down to two: Steelers receiver Mike Wallace, who hasn’t signed his one-year restricted free agent tender, and Jaguars running back Maurice Jones-Drew, who has two years left on his current contract but is holding out in the hopes that the Jaguars will give him a new deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    Meh.
    Meh times two.

I posted "yawn" a while back......so I am going to expand on that post.....

FACTS....

DB is a good receiver. NO DOUBT.

DB wants a long term contract.

KC would like to lock DB into a long term contract.

Thems is FACTS.

My opinions.....

DB wants a long term contract that makes him one of the 5 best paid receivers in the NFL.

He has NOT shown he is worth it.

He makes some AMAZING catches, but he drops far too many comparatively easy balls to be worth top 5 money.

He will work hard this year to prove he is worth the money he wants. And I don't think he is.

Throw him a lot of balls this year and let's see how good he is when the pressure is on. If he is as good as he thinks he is then pay him the big bucks. But if he keeps up with the dropped passes then trade him for whatever we can get. He is not a team player. Starting to remind me of LJ.

The guy has one season with fewer than 995 Yards and 5 TDs, in his five years in The NFL. Not to mention it has all come on a struggling run-first offense.

I don't think there is a team in The NFL that does not want to sign him to a long term deal.

But I believe that Pioli is determined to replace him with his draftee, Baldwin.

Maybe it is as simple as Bowe asking for team ownership and all Chiefs management to become his personal slaves. (Exagerration)

But I can't help but think that a deal would have been reached had Baldwin not been drafted to replace him.

I wasn't even a Chiefs fan the last time they had a WR go for 995 + for four out of five seasons.

And yet Chiefs fans seem so ready to discard the guy?

I really don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    The guy has one season with fewer than 995 Yards and 5 TDs, in his five years in The NFL. Not to mention it has all come on a struggling run-first offense.

I don't think there is a team in The NFL that does not want to sign him to a long term deal.

But I believe that Pioli is determined to replace him with his draftee, Baldwin.

Maybe it is as simple as Bowe asking for team ownership and all Chiefs management to become his personal slaves. (Exagerration)

But I can't help but think that a deal would have been reached had Baldwin not been drafted to replace him.

I wasn't even a Chiefs fan the last time they had a WR go for 995 + for four out of five seasons.

And yet Chiefs fans seem so ready to discard the guy?

I really don't get it.
    It's the drops that bother a lot of us. They show that he is not really concentrating, but is rather going on talent alone. If he wants to be paid as much as he does then I want to know he is REALLY concentrating on making every possible catch. If he did, he would easily exceed 1200 yards every season and would be worth the money he wants. It's no more than I would expect from an employee in my business and they make a whole lot less than Bowe.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    Why do we have to keep one or the other? In this pass happy league, you need two great receivers.

It's as simple as this: Bowe is asking for too much money, or too many years.

He drops too many passes and the Chiefs have no reason to cave in to his demands. They have him locked up, this year.

I'm convinced the Chiefs want to sign him long term at a fair price. If they didn't want to keep him, they would've used the tag on Carr. This is his chance to show he deserves what he is asking for.

The (foot)ball is in his court.
    Last edited by TopekaRoy; 08-20-2012 at 01:53 PM.
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Like Carr he will be paid a price that is far above what is fair for Pioli though. Another team with what's percived as a greater need will work their salary cap to get him. I'd be absolutely shocked if he remains a Chief beyond this season, and I don't think that's best for Cassel.

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    Like Carr he will be paid a price that is far above what is fair for Pioli though. Another team with what's percived as a greater need will work their salary cap to get him. I'd be absolutely shocked if he remains a Chief beyond this season, and I don't think that's best for Cassel.
    I think Cassel depends on him too much it isnt like a great QB and WR pair like Brady and Welker. Cassel only seemed (in the past hopefully) to only be able to pass to person A or B... if he couldnt he got rid of the ball or threw an int.

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    It's the drops that bother a lot of us. They show that he is not really concentrating, but is rather going on talent alone. If he wants to be paid as much as he does then I want to know he is REALLY concentrating on making every possible catch. If he did, he would easily exceed 1200 yards every season and would be worth the money he wants. It's no more than I would expect from an employee in my business and they make a whole lot less than Bowe.
    I too take issue with history of untimely drops.

But I do not let that convince me that he is not the most valuable WR that this team has had since I have been watching.

I am not sure what numbers both sides were looking for in negotiations, but I find it rather disturbing that everybody else has invented numbers from Bowe's end.

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    Why do we have to keep one or the other? In this pass happy league, you need two great receivers.

It's as simple as this: Bowe is asking for too much money, or too many years.

He drops too many passes and the Chiefs have no reason to cave in to his demands. They have him locked up, this year.

I'm convinced the Chiefs want to sign him long term at a fair price. If they didn't want to keep him, they would've used the tag on Carr. This is his chance to show he deserves what he is asking for.

The (foot)ball is in his court.
    Where did I say we had to keep one, or the other?

I simply said that I think that that is what Pioli might be looking at.

Next, I'd like to know how much Bowe is asking. Could you share that information?

I agree that he now has this season to prove his worth. But I am baffled by your ability to know what happened in the team's negotiations with him.

I have never seen a WR as good as he has been, on this team. And I simply can not go on this "let's get ready to lose him and.move.on.without a solid WR to fill his shoes" mentality that I seem to be seeing.

Now Cassel has too many targets. Think fast, Matt
    SHUT IT

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast