Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The elephant in the,room

Default The elephant in the,room

Coaches arent saying much about it nor are players because the league has instructed them to do so. Sports illustrated has an article,this past week about the officials lockout. Its not looking promising. In 2001 officials from ncaa power conferences were used. Officials used to large crowds. This lockout out they are using officials from high school, fcs officials-small college football schools, there are even officials from the lingerie league.

Poor officiating may have more of an influence than we want to,admit

I watched that entire game and will claim a state of unbiased opinion as I hate the two teams equally. Their were at least 5-6 completely screwed up PI calls in the game. The most glaring was the Off PI that should've ended the game and made the decision on who "caught" the ball irrelevant. Tate pushed off, and therefore the decision between TD & Interception really shouldn't have mattered. But earlier in the 4th quarter Shields got called for DEF PI when Sidney Rice was all but assaulting him. There were a number of other occasions where phantom holding was called, and within 2-3 plays as if to 'make up' for the bad call a blatant hold or PI was allowed to slide.

I feel bad for these refs, as they are simply out-classed and don't belong on this level. Them trying to handle NFL games is tantamount to Chiefster and I trying to run the 100M dash with Usain Bolt.

Sadly someone mentioned it earlier, and I heard both John Clayton and Chris Mortensen make similar statements this evening. The fact is, the NFL owners made a business decision to lock out the refs to get the terms they wanted. They want to get rid of the pension system (as most employers have in this economy) and don't want to compensate for doing so with an equitable salary adjustment. They also want to have the ability to 'bench' refs who have severely bad games (like most of the ones so far this year) and have 21 additional refs (what about 3 crews) that are available to stand in for these benched refs. This concept would also allow for some younger refs to be introduced to the NFL level and start training replacements for the guys like, Walt Coleman (who has been an NFL official since 1989).

Frankly they need to meet in the middle. The NFL should work to preserve the quality of the game and insist in the higher training and quality standards, demanding the benching system and back-up referees, while giving some on the finances either through keeping the pension or giving a significant 'matching' amount on another retirement package.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    The 49ers own my heart, but the Chiefs will always hold a better than neutral spot for giving my favorite player a place to leave with grace...

Resident Comedian/Statistician/Researcher/Diplomat

Last night's game is a PR nightmare come true for Rodger Goodell.

The ref situation had reached a boiling point. Millions were lost last night, I don't gamble but I would not place a bet on any NFL game until the regular refs come back.

Are these refs getting paid off by the mob? Are they just that incompetent? Or both?

Best tradition:... I have to go with the Oakland Raiders. How can that be disputed? ...Everyone equates the colors Silver and Black with the Raiders. There’s Al Davis, who has been with the franchise for 48 years. There are all the great Hall of Fame players,...There’s the three Super Bowl titles. You think of the AFC West, and you think of the Raiders.
    (Bill Williamson, ESPN)

Quote Originally Posted by Yoda View Post
    Last night's game is a PR nightmare come true for Rodger Goodell.

The ref situation had reached a boiling point. Millions were lost last night, I don't gamble but I would not place a bet on any NFL game until the regular refs come back.

Are these refs getting paid off by the mob? Are they just that incompetent? Or both?
    I read that its in the neighborhood of $200 million of gambling revenues were lost because of last night. Id imagine that the state of nevada is really pissed.

I would imagine that someone has a stern talk with Goodell soon.

To me, the only difference from these refs and the normal refs is their professionalism.

These replacement refs are watched very closely and openly scrutinized becasue of the hold out. I can't tell you how many normal games with the same normal refs that I could have said the same things everyone is comlplaining about now. Those refs Refs screw over those games just he same. Even after the review a play and say it is confirmed when everyone sitting behind the TV clearly see somehting different. I can't tell you how many holds I have seen the refs miss watching the games live.

We had super bowl refs blow a Coin toss. We had Play off refs making up the tuck rule. Numerous of Instant replays were refused because a whistle was blown premature just like the Chiefs game. Numerous of Holds missed and phantom holds called.

The only difference, they were not under the spot light as much as these guys are now.

Yes, they had a rough week, more noteably last night but for a majority of the plays they are getting it right. It just takes them to long to look up the rules or show the replay.

They definately need to work on their public speaking and need to script how the call penaties and control the game more by taking the power the NFL gave them and use it instead of being manipulated.

I tend to side with the owners. Wait out a year, then hire the best College Refs next year as they become free agents. Then you will most likely be able to hire the top NFL refs also as they will cross.

Quote Originally Posted by rbedgood View Post
    I watched that entire game and will claim a state of unbiased opinion as I hate the two teams equally. Their were at least 5-6 completely screwed up PI calls in the game. The most glaring was the Off PI that should've ended the game and made the decision on who "caught" the ball irrelevant. Tate pushed off, and therefore the decision between TD & Interception really shouldn't have mattered. But earlier in the 4th quarter Shields got called for DEF PI when Sidney Rice was all but assaulting him. There were a number of other occasions where phantom holding was called, and within 2-3 plays as if to 'make up' for the bad call a blatant hold or PI was allowed to slide.

I feel bad for these refs, as they are simply out-classed and don't belong on this level. Them trying to handle NFL games is tantamount to Chiefster and I trying to run the 100M dash with Usain Bolt.

Sadly someone mentioned it earlier, and I heard both John Clayton and Chris Mortensen make similar statements this evening. The fact is, the NFL owners made a business decision to lock out the refs to get the terms they wanted. They want to get rid of the pension system (as most employers have in this economy) and don't want to compensate for doing so with an equitable salary adjustment. They also want to have the ability to 'bench' refs who have severely bad games (like most of the ones so far this year) and have 21 additional refs (what about 3 crews) that are available to stand in for these benched refs. This concept would also allow for some younger refs to be introduced to the NFL level and start training replacements for the guys like, Walt Coleman (who has been an NFL official since 1989).

Frankly they need to meet in the middle. The NFL should work to preserve the quality of the game and insist in the higher training and quality standards, demanding the benching system and back-up referees, while giving some on the finances either through keeping the pension or giving a significant 'matching' amount on another retirement package.

Could not have said it better! Very well put.

It isn't Goodell. it is the owners.

And I think they are just trying to bully the refs because they didn't like how the lockout of the players went a year ago.

Myself, I tend to lean toward the working man every time.

So my ire is more focused on the owners who are looking to make zero concessions, and demanding countless concessions from the other side.

well after this weekend the regular refs will be demanding more....hehe

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    To me, the only difference from these refs and the normal refs is their professionalism.

These replacement refs are watched very closely and openly scrutinized becasue of the hold out. I can't tell you how many normal games with the same normal refs that I could have said the same things everyone is comlplaining about now. Those refs Refs screw over those games just he same. Even after the review a play and say it is confirmed when everyone sitting behind the TV clearly see somehting different. I can't tell you how many holds I have seen the refs miss watching the games live.

We had super bowl refs blow a Coin toss. We had Play off refs making up the tuck rule. Numerous of Instant replays were refused because a whistle was blown premature just like the Chiefs game. Numerous of Holds missed and phantom holds called.

The only difference, they were not under the spot light as much as these guys are now.

Yes, they had a rough week, more noteably last night but for a majority of the plays they are getting it right. It just takes them to long to look up the rules or show the replay.

They definately need to work on their public speaking and need to script how the call penaties and control the game more by taking the power the NFL gave them and use it instead of being manipulated.

I tend to side with the owners. Wait out a year, then hire the best College Refs next year as they become free agents. Then you will most likely be able to hire the top NFL refs also as they will cross.
    Phil Luckett had a hand in Monday night’s debacle | ProFootballTalk

Speaking of the blown coin toss, looks like our old pal Phil was in on the debacle last night....again. Perhaps he was making up for the bad super bowl XL deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post

I dont agree with this. The officials have been bad since they started the preseason. They cant spot the ball correctly, they are indecisive. They are out of their league period. The NFL could not have expected them to be this bad.

I mean Drew Brees for christs sake is mad as hell. The chiefs game took four hours, yes there was an OT, but six reviewed calls one of which wasn't overturned. They gave san francisco two additional challenges. It hasn't gotten better it has gotten worse. I didn't expect them to be out there this long. I believe in 2001 it lasted 3 weeks but the power conference officials from the ncaas were used.

Yes the regular officials have made mistakes they are human. have they been bad at times, absolutely. But what these officials have been asked to do is unfair to everyone but the nfl and its owners as they continue to make millions. But to say the regular officials are as bad I just don't agree with.

I agree with Seek, in that bad calls, or missed calls, have been occurring within pro football since it began. They can & have changed the outcome of a game, but thankfully, not as often as what seems to be occurring now with the replacement refs.

I also feel badly for the replacement refs, they've somewhat been thrown into the fire, but it was their free will choice. It's a bad situation for everyone, but mostly the coaches, players, and fans.

I've long been in favor of full time NFL refs, rather than part time refs, which a majority of have full time executive & professional careers.

All that said, I'd love to be an NFL ref making what the former pro ref's made!!! Just being that close to the action on the field as a passionate fan would be of value to me, also. PRICELESS!!! ;)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast