The NFL returns for real tonight, and with that, we celebrate the official return of our preview podcasts with the great Greg Cosell, the longtime NFL Films All-22 maven and executive producer of ESPN's NFL Matchup. As he did so well last year, Greg will give you a sense of the week's upcoming games you won't get anywhere else, based on his conversations with players and coaches past and present, and his OCD-level evaluation of coach's tape. We went 75 minutes in the Week 1 preview without even getting to the two Monday Night Football games, so we'll preview those later this week. Here are the games discussed in this podcast: Dallas Cowboys at New York Giants Indianapolis Colts at Chicago Bears Philadelphia Eagles at Cleveland Browns New England Patriots at Tennessee Titans Atlanta Falcons at Kansas City Chiefs Jacksonville Jaguars at Minnesota Vikings Washington Redskins at New Orleans Saints Buffalo Bills at New York Jets St. Louis Rams at Detroit Lions Miami Dolphins at Houston Texans San Francisco 49ers at Green Bay Packers Seattle Seahawks at Arizona Cardinals Carolina Panthers at Tampa Bay Buccaneers Pittsburgh Steelers at Denver Broncos The Shutdown Corner Week 1 NFL Preview Podcast with Greg Cosell A few highlights from Mr. Cosell: On Giants offensive coordinator Kevin Gilbride's formational versatility: "It's interesting, and it goes back years. When Eli Manning started in his rookie season of 2004, and he certainly was not ready to play as a rookie, they gave Manning an awful lot on his plate right away. We've seen that grow and grow, and it's obviously reaped a ton of dividends. The Giants have always done a lot more things than people may think. When people talk about multi-dimensional offenses, I'm not sure the Giants come to mind, but they do a lot in the run game -- which is never talked about when people are discussing run games, because 99 percent of the time, they're talking about the passing game. But they're very intriguing in the run game, and that's Eli Manning. He calls that at the line of scrimmage. I would agree -- they're a lot more multiple than they're given credit for." On the "little things" that make Andrew Luck great: "Eye discipline and eye manipulation are two terms that I like to use, and Ron Jaworski and I talk about this all the time. The play you're talking about [Luck's 23-yard touchdown pass to Austin Collie against the St. Louis Rams) was in his first preseason game, and what he did is that he immediately recognized the coverage, which was 2-deep, and he knew that in his route combination, because he had Collie running a corner route, he had to beat the safety to that side. Because the cornerback will sit in the flat. *He's responsible for that, and they had a receiver going there. So, Luck know that he had to beat the safety to that side. They also had a slot route attacking that safety. But what Luck did on his drop, in his first preseason game as an NFL quarterback, was to keep his eyes totally focused right down the midline. And that kept the safety from reacting to Collie's route. And then, he very comfortably threw the ball to Collie within the timing of the play for what looked like a very simple touchdown pass that you or I could throw. But it was his ability to calmly manipulate the defense with his head and his eyes that made it look as easy as it seemed." The Shutdown Corner Week 1 NFL Preview Podcast with Greg Cosell On Brandon Weeden's early struggles:

More...