Kansas City Chiefs (0-1)

vs.
    Bufallo Bills (0-1)

Sunday, September 16, Noon Central Time

at

Ralph Wilson Stadium, Buffalo, NY

on CBS

Watch online:
    FirstRow Watch Live NFL Online. Watch Live NCAA Online. American Football Live Streams
    ***Official Chiefs Crowd Game Thread Starter***

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

Team Leaders
    Chiefs
    Offense:

Passing
    Matt Cassel

21-33 258 yds, 1 TD

Rushing
    Jamaal Charles

16 carries, 87 yds, 0 TD

Receiving
    Dexter McCluster

6 rec, 82 yds, 0 TD

Defense:
    Tackles
    Derrick Johnson

8 tackles

Sacks
    Justin Houston

1 sack

Interceptions
    Nobody yet!

Bills
    Offense:
    Passing
    Ryan Fitzpatrick

18-32, 195 yds, 3 TDs

Rushing
    C. J. Spiller

14 carries, 169 yds, 1 TD

Recieving
    Steivie Johnson

4 rec, 55 yds, 1 TD

Defense:
    Tackles
    Nick Barnett

9 tackles

Sacks
    None yet!

Interceptions
    Brian Scott

1 INT

Notable Quotables
    Chiefs:
    "You can write the story however you want to write it and explain why, but we lost because we didn't play well enough to win. They did. It's simple."

—Chiefs CB Stanford Routt after losing to Atlanta.

Bills: "I understand that. Bills fans live and die with us. I understand that. I understand how they feel. I keep trying to tell everybody that I believe we are going to be a good football team, but time is the only thing that will tell on that and winning is the only healer."

—Coach Chan Gailey reacting to fans hitting the panic button after the team's 48-28 season-opening loss to the Jets.

Spread: Bufallo by 3

ESPN Preview
    Kansas City Chiefs vs. Buffalo Bills - Preview - September 16, 2012 - ESPN

The Buffalo Bills picked up right where they left off in 2011, allowing 40-plus points while being routed on the road.

Now missing two of their biggest offensive weapons for an extended period of time, regrouping Sunday likely won't be easy against a visiting Kansas City Chiefs defense returning Pro Bowl linebacker Tamba Hali and seeking to avenge a blowout in last year's season opener.

Buffalo (0-1) was overmatched in a 49-21 loss at New England in the 2011 season finale, and few -- if any --offseason improvements were evident in last week's 48-28 road defeat to the New York Jets.

The defense, despite adding prized defensive end Mario Williams in the offseason, couldn't defend against shorter fields following two Ryan Fitzpatrick interceptions -- he finished with three total -- and the special teams unit allowed a punt return before the Bills were able to get points on the board.

"We definitely didn't do what we needed to do to win," Williams said. "The biggest thing was that we didn't get sacks. Starting with myself, we definitely have to put the quarterback on his back with any means necessary."

Making matters worse, starting running back Fred Jackson, who missed the last six games of 2011 with a broken leg, went down with a sprained knee ligament after only six carries for 15 yards. Wide receiver David Nelson then tore a right knee ligament in the fourth quarter.

Jackson will miss at least four weeks, while Nelson was placed on injured reserve and will miss the rest of the season.

"It's a setback," coach Chan Gailey said. "You lose experience and you lose versatility. But I think our guys can adjust."

C.J. Spiller proved up to the task of replacing Jackson, running for a 56-yard touchdown for Buffalo's first score and finishing with a career-high 169 yards.

"It's a huge blow," Spiller said of the injuries. "But we can't sit around and mope and not regain focus. This just means somebody on offense has got to step up."

Spiller scored a touchdown for an offense that shined in Buffalo's 41-7 win over Kansas City in last year's season opener. Fitzpatrick threw for 208 yards and a career high-tying four touchdowns, including two to tight end Scott Chandler, who caught one of three Fitzpatrick TD passes against the Jets.

Hali had a sack in last season's meeting, and the Chiefs defense will look to slow down the Bills in Week 2 after a rough performance last week.

Hali missed Sunday's 40-24 loss to Atlanta while serving a one-game suspension for violating the league's substance-abuse policy after finishing with 12 sacks in 2011.

His absence, along with those of safety Kendrick Lewis, cornerback Brandon Flowers and defensive tackle Anthony Toribio, seemed noticeable as the Falcons were forced to punt just once and faced only 10 third downs.

While Hali will return, the others were limited in practice this week and are questionable.

"I think as a whole we need to continue to work and get better," Hali told the team's official website. "Every guy has to do their job. We'll continue to study film and study our opponent. We just need to be on top of our game."

Fellow linebacker Derrick Johnson said the Chiefs (0-1) simply need to move on.

"We're trying to get the bad vibe over after this next game," Johnson said. "We've been through that being behind and trying to catch up and at the end of the year. We just need to start winning now, count our wins, and play better."

The offense played well at times last week, converting 11 of 16 third downs and hitting the 20-point mark after being held to 19 or less in its final nine games last season.

Jamaal Charles seems fully recovered from a torn ACL that kept him out of the final 14 games of 2011, rushing 16 times for 87 yards.

Matt Cassel finished 21 for 33 with 258 yards and hit Kevin Boss with a 22-yard touchdown pass, but he also threw two interceptions.

"I think the main thing is just not turning the ball over," Cassel said. "We've got to try to get ourselves into manageable third-down situations and stay out of those third-and-long situations."

The Bills have won four of the last five meetings with the Chiefs, and they're expected to have second-year defensive tackle Marcell Dareus despite him mourning the shooting death of his younger brother last weekend.

This space is reserved for something that has nothing whatsoever to do with MatthewsChiefs. (Whoever THAT is!)

30-17 Chiefs

If we score 30 points, it'll be because of a great turnover ratio. Both the Bills and Chiefs were -3 in turnovers last week, so look for that to be the turning point in the game.

Quote Originally Posted by dl89 View Post
    If we score 30 points, it'll be because of a great turnover ratio..
    I don't think we need turnovers to put up 30 points on the Bills (althought it certainly wouldn't hurt). The Chiefs scored 17 against Atlanta in just the first half (on pace for 34) and I think they have a better defense than the Bills.

The keys to our offense will be our offensive line giving Cassel enough time to complete his passes and the 'killer b's' (especially Bowe) getting open. It's obvious that Bowe's holding out of training camp hurt his performance last week.

The key on defense will be stopping C. J. Spiller from having a big day. He will get his yards, to be sure, but we can't let him have any big plays and we can't allow the Bills to have long sustained drives, wearing down our defense and keeping our offense off the field. That's OUR agame! The defense needs to stay in their lanes, play disciplined and not over persue. If we can do all that we can win big.

Chiefs 34
    Bills 23

Quote Originally Posted by TopekaRoy View Post
    I don't think we need turnovers to put up 30 points on the Bills (althought it certainly wouldn't hurt). The Chiefs scored 17 against Atlanta in just the first half (on pace for 34) and I think they have a better defense than the Bills.

The keys to our offense will be our offensive line giving Cassel enough time to complete his passes and the 'killer b's' (especially Bowe) getting open. It's obvious that Bowe's holding out of training camp hurt his performance last week.

The key on defense will be stopping C. J. Spiller from having a big day. He will get his yards, to be sure, but we can't let him have any big plays and we can't allow the Bills to have long sustained drives, wearing down our defense and keeping our offense off the field. That's OUR agame! The defense needs to stay in their lanes, play disciplined and not over persue. If we can do all that we can win big.

Chiefs 34
    Bills 23
    ^^THIS !!

Let's hope the Chiefs make it happen today. This could be a more critical game than people think.

Well im predicting a win tomorrow. Great news having Hali and Flowers back. IMO we could beat the bills without them but if not they are definitely the difference.

35-13 bills?? Hope for God's sake not.

Redemption Sunday

Chiefs 24
    Bills 13

My hope is that it's a close game, with a lot of improvement from the defensive side and the halftime adjustments. Going by history we haven't done that well against the Bills, inparticular when we play there...but my hope is that last years' blowout sticks in their minds and they make the Bills earn anything they get.

Page 1 of 23 1234511 ... LastLast