Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Good, Bad and Noteworthy From the Saints Game

Default The Good, Bad and Noteworthy From the Saints Game

Good:

1. The playcalling - I was glad to see the OC stick to the running game late in the game, even though we were down. This is what I was asking for last week. The big runs by Charles worked because the defense was getting worn down.

2. The defense in the 2nd half. Both the pass defense and run defense was outstanding in the 2nd half (I couldnt watch the 1st half). The only 2 2nd half scores that NO got were after turnovers and with a short field. The run was getting stuffed up the middle by the DL, and the DL was also occasionally giving a pass rush. Id like to see more frequent pressure on the QB, though.

3. Good job by the OL, even with Hudson out. The line was doing a decent job in both pass and run protection. Not great, but decent.

4. Arena is getting close to breaking some punt returns. All around the special teams looked better.

Bad:

1. Inability to SCORE in the redzone. We need to get more TDs and less FGs.

2. Either WRs werent getting open or Cassel couldnt find them. Without looking downfield it is hard to tell.

3. Bowe had another easy drop that could have been critical. We were able to overcome it, but that deep pass should have been caught.

4. Judging from what Mccluster's injury looked like, he is probably out 6-8 weeks minimum.

Noteworthy:

1. Jeff Allen played well as Guard.

2. Hillis was missed. Im hoping he just pulled a muscle and will be back this week.

3. Baldwin is making more of a presence in the passing game. I hope it continues.

4. Lilja did a great job at C. Hudson's loss was not as noticeable.

Quote Originally Posted by reded View Post
    His throws always look high in my opinion. Hardly ever does he hit a receiver in stride for good yardage after the catch. Of course it also doesn't help when your receivers drop 6 of the passes thrown.

Brady and Flacco last night looked to be on a whole other level above Matt Cassel.
    yes, but Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees did not. They looked just as bad. Now, I didn't want all of the Denver game, but from what I saw, Manning looked horrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    yes, but Peyton Manning, and Drew Brees did not. They looked just as bad. Now, I didn't want all of the Denver game, but from what I saw, Manning looked horrible.
    Manning got it together towards the end of the game but that team just isnt for him and I wouldnt be suprised if he leaves at the end of the season.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

1. Jeff Allen played well as Guard.

4. Lilja did a great job at C. Hudson's loss was not as noticeable.
    This, to me, stood out like a sore thumb.

Lilja is much better suited at Center than at the Guard position. Lilja was really struggling at Guard.

It's unfortunate that Hudson's injury ( and he could be out for a while ) has caused an inadvertent upgrade to the O-Line ( specifically Allen upgrading the LG position ), but that probably is what has transpired.

Allen should be allowed to keep the LG job, even if & when Hudson comes back healthy. Allen is younger, stronger, and 25 lbs. heavier than Lilja, and it was inevitable that Allen was going to take over the LG position at some point in time. No point in delaying the inevitable.

Did you notice how tired Charles was in the 4th quarter? He was maybe getting every other play off. The 2nd big run he had would have been a TD, but JC didnt have that burst to sprint past the safety. If he had more of a break, I think he may have been able to break another one, or maybe be more effective out of the backfield.
    I, for one, am happy that Charles did get so much action. I think that it helped him to knock off a little rust that he may have been carrying around for the fist couple of games.

I don't like seeing Hillis out. But I think the extra work for JC could be a very good thing for the coming games.

Keep in mind that Lilja was playing hurt yesterday. I think he went into the game as questionable with a sore back.

The OL isn't a bad offensive line. No offensive line in football will look good blocking for Cassel and his 7 second drops. Competent QBs are throwing the ball at the 3 second mark, Cassel feel compelled to stare at his receiver for atleast 4 more seconds before throwing the ball high so the guy has to stretch out and get some broken ribs.

Yesterday Cassel managed to injur McCluster and Hillis and I thought for sure he was going to kill Bowe. The Chiefs cannot be a consistently competitive football team with him playing.

At what point does Bowe start thinking, "enough is enough" and quit trying in order to preserve himself?

Or has it already happened, thus his failure to come to terms on a contract?

Quote Originally Posted by reded View Post

Brady and Flacco last night looked to be on a whole other level above Matt Cassel.
    Ahhhhh....ya because they are...but the madness has to stop about Cassel injurying Mighty Mouse because the pass was to high it was but what is he made of glass...actually apparently he is...

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    I was not all that pleased with the play calling. The dropped pass that was reversed for a TD. Poor defensive call. They left a guy completely unguarded for an easy TD if caught.

Throwing the ball on first down for an incomplete, then a run for 2 yards makes it very difficult having 3rd and 8 every play. Maybe run more on first, or hit a quick hit to the receivers for a few yards for a 2nd and 5 would be nice every once in a while.

I also do not like playing for a TIE. I was so pissed off with Romeo yesterday when the Chiefs had the ball with 2 minutes left in the game and they were okay settling for a field go and going to over time. They had a chance to win it and didn't care. That does not sit well with me. I know in the end they won, but I don't like the theory of playing not to lose.
    Understand your frustration, but I like passing it occasionally on 1st down and going deep also. It keeps the Safeties from cheating up on 1st down. Im not sure if we dont run plays deep too often, or we dont try the pass, but it was nice to see that.

1. Cassel needs to improve his passing game. He cannot expect his offensive line to pass block four or more seconds. Although I do not blame him for injuries to receivers he can reduce the chance thereof by making his passes more accurate. Cassel's vision down field is also lacking at times IMO. I do believe he is doing his best, the question is: Is his best good enough at this point?

2. The Offensive line needs to give Cassel at least three seconds and a pocket to step into. Lilja got owned at the line a few times. They did do a nice job springing Charles for big runs.

3. Receivers need to get open.

4. Succop did his job and earned his pay!

All just my two cents.

Understand your frustration, but I like passing it occasionally on 1st down and going deep also. It keeps the Safeties from cheating up on 1st down. Im not sure if we dont run plays deep too often, or we dont try the pass, but it was nice to see that.
    I am all for throwing on first down and going deep every once in a while. But everyone knows that on 2nd at 10. We are running. They need to mix that up more. How about a play action or a quick slant. Something that gets us a couple yards. Instead of leaving a 3rd a 8. Now, I am not really complaining about running it on 2nd and 10 as you need to get yards, but when it becomes a deja VU over and over.... Lets try something different.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast