New Orleans Saints quarterback Drew Brees' request for Sean Payton, Joe Vitt and general manager Mickey Loomis to attend Sunday night's game against the San Diego Chargers has been granted by the NFL.

ll three suspended members of the Saints could be in attendance for Brees' possible record-setting day, according to an NFL statement obtained by NFL Network and NFL.com reporter Albert Breer. The news was first reported by WVUE-TV.

Brees requested their presence as he attempts to break Johnny Unitas' record of 47 consecutive games with a touchdown pass.

"Drew Brees requested permission for Sean Payton, Mickey Loomis and Joe Vitt to attend Sunday night's game in which Drew will attempt to set the record of 48 straight games with a touchdown pass. Commissioner Goodell has granted that permission," the statement read. "Coaches Payton and Vitt and Mickey Loomis will be permitted to watch the game in a private area of the stadium and will have no contact with the team."

Payton, Vitt and Loomis are being allowed to attend the game on a one-time basis because of special circumstances, an NFL spokesperson told NFL.com and NFL Network's Steve Wyche.

Seating arrangements are being worked out with the Saints, Wyche reports, adding that there are not specifics if the trio can or will be seated together.

When asked Tuesday, Payton said that he would not attend, NOLA.com reported.

"No, no," said Payton, who was suspended for the season. "I've kind of got a full plate here. A handful of people texted me that. Right now, I'll be able to watch it, and shoot, just being able to watch it on TV is no different than being there in person. It's just an honor to be connected to this."

The NFL gave former Saints defensive coordinator Gregg Williams a one-game permission to attend last week's St. Louis Rams-Seattle Seahawks game despite being suspended indefinitely for his role in the bounty scandal.

Source