Washington Redskins rookie quarterback Robert Griffin exited Sunday's 24-17 loss to the Atlanta Falcons with a concussion after taking a brutal (but 100 percent clean) hit from linebacker Sean Weatherspoon. Initially, the Redskins said that Griffin had been "shaken up" and was questionable to return, which Mark Maske of the Washington Post reports will prompt an inquiry from the league office as teams are required to disclose "accurate and timely injury information" during the game. "At that time when he wasn't really sure what the score was, what quarter it was, we knew he had a mild concussion, at least according to the doctors," Redskins head coach Shanahan said. "He feels good right now—a lot better right now. But that was the situation, why he didn't go back into the game." We hope RG3 is okay, clears the concussion protocol with flying colors and is able to play next week, but it's long overdue for the NFL to permanently remove the term "mild" when describing concussions. Griffin wasn't the only quarterback to suffer a head injury on Sunday. Matt Cassel left the Kansas City Chiefs' 9-6 loss to the Baltimore Ravens in the fourth quarter after he was sandwiched by Haloti Ngata and Paul Kruger, prompting cheers from a vocal segment of the crowd at Arrowhead Stadium. Those cheers drew the ire of Chiefs right tackle Eric Winston. "But when you cheer somebody getting knocked out, I don't care who it is, and just so happened to be Matt Cassel, it's 100 percent sickening," Winston said via the Kansas City Star. "I've been in some rough times on some rough teams, I've never been so embarrassed in my life to play football, than at that moment right there." San Francisco 49ers quarterback Alex Smith completed 18-of-24 pass attempts for 303 yards and three touchdowns in his team's 45-3 romp of the Buffalo Bills. According to Matt Maiocco of CSN Bay Area, Smith sprained the middle finger of his passing hand and underwent x-rays after the game. The 49ers host the New York Giants in a rematch of the 2011 NFC Championship Game next Sunday. Safety Troy Polamalu exited the Pittsburgh Steelers' 16-14 win over the Philadelphia Eagles after aggravating a calf injury that had sidelined him for the previous two games in the first quarter. Polamalu could miss a few weeks with the injury. The Steelers also lost outside linebacker LaMarr Woodley to a hamstring injury. The New England Patriots finished their 31-21 win over the Denver Broncos without 40 percent of their starting offensive line. Pro Bowl left guard Logan Mankins, who is coming off surgery to repair a torn ACL in his knee and missed last week's game with a hip injury, had a calf injury and was replaced by Donald Thomas. Right tackle Sebastian Vollmer (knee) also finished the game on the sidelines and was spelled by Marcus Cannon.

More...