Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: NFL will consider ending kickoffs ???

Default NFL will consider ending kickoffs ???

I can't feature this but Goodell and company are

snip

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the NFL's competition committee would consider in the offseason replacing the kickoff. The league previously had moved the kickoff from the 30- to 35-yard line to cut down on violent collisions.
    Goodell and Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if it failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

story
    http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Flag football here they come... Where is my HOCKEY.
    The only Racing Team that matters-HENDRICK MotorSports. 24\48\88\5.. I need another! :please: :
    I'm out..

1 Free "Get Out Of Mancard Violation" earned by braving The Black Hole as The Chiefs redeemed themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post

snip

Commissioner Roger Goodell said Thursday the NFL's competition committee would consider in the offseason replacing the kickoff. The league previously had moved the kickoff from the 30- to 35-yard line to cut down on violent collisions.
    Goodell and Rich McKay, the head of the league's competition committee, discussed an idea brought up by Tampa Bay Buccaneers coach Greg Schiano in which a team, instead of kicking off, would get the ball at its own 30-yard line in a fourth-and-15 situation. The team then would punt the ball away or, to replace an onside kick, could go for it and, if it failed to get a first down, the opposing squad would start with great field position.

story
    As if punts are any less dangerous than kickoffs. Look at how hard those guys get leveled when they try to catch the ball as it is. Wait until guys can practice the "kickoff punt" to the point where they can time it perfectly everytime and see how hard those hits get.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

That has got to be about the absolute dumbest idea I've ever heard.

What a stupid idea!

Quote Originally Posted by kcvet View Post

snip

story
    NO NO NO NO NO

Some say Football is a dying sport. Yeah, I know, what???? It is the most popular sport around. However, they say It will be harder and harder to field NFL talent as parents are holding their kids out of football as more and more news about longevity of football players is becoming a topic. Instead of putting a gifted athlete in football they will opt to keep them in safter sports.

This effort to eliminate kick offs is one of many changes that will be made in the next 10 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Some say Football is a dying sport. Yeah, I know, what???? It is the most popular sport around. However, they say It will be harder and harder to field NFL talent as parents are holding their kids out of football as more and more news about longevity of football players is becoming a topic. Instead of putting a gifted athlete in football they will opt to keep them in safter sports.

This effort to eliminate kick offs is one of many changes that will be made in the next 10 years.
    I don't disagree Seek, but this is not the answer. In the long run, I do not see how this is going to be any safer and can see many ways this becomes less safe.

The alternative is to just start each team on the 20 yard line and start the series. No on-side kicks, no BS.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    I don't disagree Seek, but this is not the answer. In the long run, I do not see how this is going to be any safer and can see many ways this becomes less safe.

The alternative is to just start each team on the 20 yard line and start the series. No on-side kicks, no BS.
    That will be a sad day I love on side kicks. Sean Peyton's decision for that onside kick in the Super Bowl was awesome. When the kicker kicks it right it sure is fun to watch.

Its just a stupid idea, if they claim it is for safety reasons. Fielding punts is far more dangerous. Then why not eliminate punts, sacks, hits on receivers while they are in the air, etc, etc, etc. I could see moving the kick off back even further to avoid all those boring touchbacks ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast