Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The rest of this team is pretty good.

Default The rest of this team is pretty good.

The defense had a really bad first couple of games but has markedly improved. Tamba Hali and Justin Houston are providing a good combo for getting pressure. Stanford Routt needs to improve some more but the secondary has played better the last few games (getting Flowers back helped). The defense has really done well the last few games, especially considering our offense leads the league in turnovers.

Special teams has been solid. Succop has proved he can be called-on and everybody knows how great a punter Colquitt is. Coverage has been good as well (Terrence Copper comes to mind with his performance this week).

WE HAVE A RUNNING GAME. A really, really good running game. Jamaal Charles is awesome. We NEED to be able to fully capitalize on his ability (and take some of the workload off him) by using play-action. It is a disservice to Charles, his teammates, the organization, and the fans to abuse him the way we are. Not being able to utilize the threat of Jamaal Charles' rushing ability in the passing game is like using a Swiss Army knife only as a screwdriver: It can wear out quickly and can be a much more invaluable and versatile tool when used properly. As good as he is now, imagine if Jamaal Charles had the threat of a passing game to keep the defense honest!

While I've seen a lot of tipped balls for interceptions this year, I've also seen phenomenal catches from Bowe, Baldwin, Mccluster, and Moeaki in the time they've been with the team.

I'm not going to rant in this thread about QB. I'm trying to keep this about the good stuff we have. However, I really do think it's possible that one key position could be turning a team of potential heroes into zeros.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

I agree the defense has really started to come into their own since the New Orleans game. The secondary is playing a lot better, and there is a pass rush (not sure if both have started to click, or if one is making the other look better). The last 3 weeks the only person who has beat us in the passing game is Gates when we tried to go 1on1 with him and since he is probably eventually a hall of famer, Ill give Berry/Crennel a pass on that. Especially since he was slowed significantly in the 2nd half.

Does anyone know if Kendrick Lewis has returned? If not, I wonder how much his return will improve the team.

I hope Peyton Hillis returns soon to take some workload off of JC. It is funny that last year people said we didnt give him the ball enough. This year it is too much. I actually really like the balance that Haley used last year. Save him for the end of the season when the rest of the league is tired and sore. Even if it means running Hillis or Draughn with a 3.0 ypc average.

I think our receiving crew has been pretty good (even Maneri has shown some sparks) but they have been inconsistent. Also, I wonder if they arent getting open often, or if the QB hasnt been able to spot them. Without having access to wide angle views of the field, it is hard to tell.

One of the few areas of complaint I have is the pass protection. There have been injuries on the line which may be to blame, but I have seen quite a few whiffs that led to sacks and/or strip-sacks. I would like to see our OL get better in that arena.

The DL has been better than I expected. We give up some yards in the run game, but most of what I have seen has been to the outside, which is more of the responsibility of the LBs. We have a talented team that when everyone plays together and on the same page, I honestly think we have a legit chance to win the division.

This team came.into this season with a problem that spanned across it's entirety.... They wete loose.

Defenders were being loose in their tackling and coverage. And the offense has been loose with the football.

Everybody is blaming Cassel, and he too has been loose. But he has been no more loose than the rest of the team. The INTs are mostly a result of receivers being loose with the ball and the pass protectors being loose has contributed heavily to the fumbling of Cassel... Which has also been a problem for our RBs.

The defense seems to have secured their problems. But the offense is still struggling to solidify themselves.

If I were Crennel, I would stay the course and get these SOBs straightened out. They have plenty of ability, including Matt Cassel.

Scrapping the season.should.not be an option..... Yet.

Quote Originally Posted by chief31 View Post
    This team came.into this season with a problem that spanned across it's entirety.... They wete loose.

Defenders were being loose in their tackling and coverage. And the offense has been loose with the football.

Everybody is blaming Cassel, and he too has been loose. But he has been no more loose than the rest of the team. The INTs are mostly a result of receivers being loose with the ball and the pass protectors being loose has contributed heavily to the fumbling of Cassel... Which has also been a problem for our RBs.

The defense seems to have secured their problems. But the offense is still struggling to solidify themselves.

If I were Crennel, I would stay the course and get these SOBs straightened out. They have plenty of ability, including Matt Cassel.

Scrapping the season.should.not be an option..... Yet.
    Agreed. Cassel can only play better and we've faced a very tough schedule. Quinn may play this week due Cassel's concussion, but barring a miraculous performance from Quinn which I do not expect, I think the correct move is to play Cassel after the bye in week 7.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    Agreed. Cassel can only play better and we've faced a very tough schedule. Quinn may play this week due Cassel's concussion, but barring a miraculous performance from Quinn which I do not expect, I think the correct move is to play Cassel after the bye in week 7.
    Are you in favor of drafting a high 1st round QB? Like #5 or higher. A guy like Geno Smith.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    With the Bucs atrocious D we could very well see a solid performance from Quinn. Everyone is so geeked up right now there will be a ****storm ensue when Crennel starts Matt against Oakland. Assuming Quinn gets the win and Cassel gets cleared to play I can't argue with Matt under center week 8, personal feelings aside. We are still technically in the hunt and I don't think Quinn has more leadership with the team than Matt. Quinnsanity and hoopla will ensue but we need to be ready as fans for the controversy that's coming.

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Are you in favor of drafting a high 1st round QB? Like #5 or higher. A guy like Geno Smith.
    No matter the outcome of this season we must do this IMO

Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    No matter the outcome of this season we must do this IMO
    No doubt. It's time to end the 30 year drought.

For the most part yes. The only thing that worries me about it is that as mOefOe has mentioned with the exception of the QB spot we have a team that really seems to be coming together. Drafting a QB *could* leave us with a QB that is just coming into his own (say 3 years from now) while the rest of the team is starting to decline. So yes I think we should be looking for a QB with our first pick in the draft, but I also think we should be looking to see if we can pull off a Montana type deal with another team. If we could get a true hotshot veteran QB that had 2 or 3 years left in him it could well be enough to get us to the Super Bowl.

But if we can't pull off a deal like that, then yes, we should make it a priority to do whatever is necessary to get the best QB available in the draft.

It will depend upon what happens the rest of the season for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast