Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Question to all anti-Cassel people

Default Question to all anti-Cassel people

So I am curious and just was wondering if someone could give me a rational argument as to why so many people are calling for Cassels head and loathe him so much.

He was a solid pro bowl quarterback in 2010 and got off to a shaky start before getting hurt last year and now he is coming back from an injury. Quarterbacks are always shaky coming back from an injury and their play can be inconsistent. Peyton Manning had some real bad games as did Tim Brady after his knee injury. I guess I'm curious as to why so many people despise Cassels when there are so many other glaring holes on this team and he has proven to be a pro bowl caliber quarterback.

Well, ill start this off....he individually has as many turnovers charged to him this year, as some teams turnover numbers, AS A WHOLE TEAM. Pretty ugly stat.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian52682 View Post
    So I am curious and just was wondering if someone could give me a rational argument as to why so many people are calling for Cassels head and loathe him so much.

He was a solid pro bowl quarterback in 2010 and got off to a shaky start before getting hurt last year and now he is coming back from an injury. Quarterbacks are always shaky coming back from an injury and their play can be inconsistent. Peyton Manning had some real bad games as did Tim Brady after his knee injury. I guess I'm curious as to why so many people despise Cassels when there are so many other glaring holes on this team and he has proven to be a pro bowl caliber quarterback.
    Look past the stats during the pro bowl season and you'll see that Cassel did it against very crappy opponents. Brady and Manning have beat quality opponents.

Here's the stats on cassel (source: Chiefs The Declaration Of Independence, MO - The People vs. Matthew Gus Brennan Cassel - ChiefsPlanet)

He's 3-18 when the Chiefs pass more than they run.

He's 3-13 against playoff teams (2 wins as a Patriot).

Against playoff teams, he averages 148.5 passing yards.

His career win percentage is 5-13 against winning teams (+.500 record).

Quote Originally Posted by KCraised View Post
    Well, ill start this off....he individually has as many turnovers charged to him this year, as some teams turnover numbers, AS A WHOLE TEAM. Pretty ugly stat.
    He has less than Vick and he isn't losing his job anytime soon.

Good link Ryfo, that's exactly the info I was looking for.

I won't even entertain this question. Do you even watch football. Good lord. Besides, i'm not anti cassel, i'm PRO-Chiefs! He's a god awful QB. Watch Sundays game. Nuff said!

Quote Originally Posted by Brian52682 View Post
    He has less than Vick and he isn't losing his job anytime soon.
    Well, ask Vicks boss. He should.

He also was not a pro bowl quaterback in 2010. He was in 2011, and he was the ALTERNATE.

That means 3 qbs in the AFC were ahead of him. I believe that Manning did not participate that year so Cassel took his place on the roster.

Tom Brady, Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning were selected ahead of him.

With regards to his injury. Players can be inconsistent when coming back from and injury. Players who were inconsistent before being injured are not necessary awarded the benefit of the doubt.

If a player is under performing, regardless of the reason, he needs to be replaced. The vehemence from the fanbase is a direct response to the management/coaching decisions to not even attempt to replace him. His protected status regardless of performance is what draws the most anger.

For me personally, it's not a matter of hating Cassel. I don't hate him at all, quite the contrary, I was hoping he'd become a great QB for the Chiefs when they traded for him.

You mentioned 2010 & I really believe the trouble started with Weis resigning as OC and then the beating he took at the hands of the Raiders in the season finale. I'm not sure he's ever recovered from either of those.

In 2012, his play hasn't been inconsistent --- it's been consistently getting WORSE week by week. The team no longer believes in him & they will never play with a certain fervor that they would for a guy like Joe Montana in his prime.

Last Sunday was a glittering example. The Chiefs were running the ball with great success in the 1st half & yet, they never tried to take shots downfield off play-action, even though Baltimore was ripe for it. Plus, there were times on 3rd & long, they'd simply hand the ball off to Charles. It looked like 2009 all over again.

What bothers me is the Chiefs brass can see that things are not working for Cassel in 2012, yet they insisted on keeping him on the field last Sunday until he got hurt, when it was clear.....especially after that fumble at the goal line......that it was time to give him the day off & let the next guy ( Quinn ) take a shot at it.

In my judgement, the real blame falls on Scott Pioli. He saw Cassel get beaten into the dirt repeatedly in 2009, then in the 2010 off-season did very little to address a porous O-Line & instead squandered his top 3 draft choices on luxury picks instead of bolstering Cassel's pass protection ( hence this is why many Chiefs fans preferred that Russell Okung be drafted at #5 )

The 2010 season Pro Bowl season for Cassel was smoke and mirrors and in the season finale against the Raiders, the smoke left the building. Plus, the 2010 schedule was the easiest schedule in team history. The Chiefs did not beat one team that had a winning record. See the link below for Cassel's record against teams with winning records, it's quite damning:

MATT CASSEL: YEAR 4 - ESSAY - BY THE NUMBERS - Arrowhead Pride

The problem is Cassel has made no progress since 2010 -- in fact it's gone the other way, as in 2011 and 2012, there has been no benefit of an easy schedule.

I will grant you that there are areas on the team that could improve, but I can't help but wonder what this current Chiefs team would be like if it had Joe Montana in his prime playing QB for them. I'm not comparing Cassel to Montana, by the way, because Montana is incomparable. What I'm suggesting is that the Chiefs need better QB play....everybody and their brother can see that......and Cassel had his chance and simply has not gotten it done, nor made any progress since 2010. It's time to move on.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 10-09-2012 at 01:43 AM.

I like Cassel, but he's not that answer. He's a tough guy, that is determined to be the best possible, but we need a new QB right now. Simple as that.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast