Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: My take on all this (been a long time).

Default My take on all this (been a long time).

I made a case for Matt Cassel coming here when we signed him. I do think that there was some unwarranted hate for the man before he had a chance to prove himself. I acknowledge his time here has been anything but easy. I think he seems like a good guy with a good work ethic and I'm sorry things didn't turn out better on both ends of this deal. I hope he makes a full, speedy recovery and lives a long, happy life. That being said, I do not want to see him under center again in a Chiefs uniform.

After watching him play for the last few seasons, I really don't think Matt Cassel should have been on the field to get injured in the first place. His lackluster performance and turnovers aside, the guy has always looked like a deer in the headlights with pass rushers coming down on him. He just doesn't seem quite athletic enough to evade or absorb hits over a prolonged career in the NFL. I haven't been able to help but think that he was going to eventually get killed out there over the last couple of years. I vividly remember when Trent Green tried to take-off for a run in the twilight of his career against the Bengals when he got knocked out. It was horrible and I get that same feeling in my gut that I'm about to see something terrible each time Cassel is about to take a hit.

Speaking of that hit on Green, I also remember watching Damon Huard get us into the playoffs just to get benched in favor of Green so we could watch that train wreck. While Trent Green did a lot for the Chiefs in his time at QB and I agreed with him getting a shot, Damon Huard at least earned a chance that he never got when it was obvious that Green just wasn't what he had been before. This is just another example of this organization's LOOOOOONG history of playing politics rather than football at quarterback.

A prolonged lack of quality on the field has led to disappointment from the fans that has now grown into hostility. We have a divided fan base and an organization that's all at odds with each other-- a perfect storm that culminated into what we saw and heard on Sunday.

I'm not sure those people who cheered when Cassel went down did so because someone got hurt. While I'm not making excuses for the atrocious behavior of a few drunken hecklers I did hear in the audio, I think maybe most who cheered did so because that was the ONLY possible way that we were ever going to get someone else an opportunity under center. Maybe they were cheering for the thinnest ray of hope as there was NO WAY our gutless head coach and GM would have EVER benched the 66 million dollar man. Will Brady Quinn be our savior? Probably not but Chiefs fans have been drowning in a sea of misery for so long that some will see even the thinnest of threads as a lifeline to drag them up from the abyss.

Besides, anybody who has watched this team for the last 20 years and still hasn't become numbed to the point of hardly giving a damn has to be at least marginally insane. So Matt Cassel got hurt and some insane people cheered... It should have been left at that.

Instead, the same Chris Berman that shared a chuckle with Tom Jackson about Robert Griffin III sustaining a concussion Sunday scolds Chiefs fans on Monday night while fabricating a lie on national TV by saying Matt Cassel was "carted off" the field. I distinctly remember these jackwagons showing highlights of players getting leveled by devastating hits while screaming "HE GOT JACKED UP!" a few years back. It's hard to miss the irony here.

Mike Ditka, who made a career out of crushing people on the football field and regularly complains about the wussification of modern football, slammed chiefs fans for being drunken barbarians. Eric Winston, the player who's comments sparked this firestorm, spoke on radio shows a few months ago about how the players should have held out longer for a better CBA because the current one handed too much authoritarian power to Goodell as comissioner. Winston made these statements in response to the heavy-handed punishments and suspensions levied against the Saints by the league for paying bounties to defensive players for injuring opposing team members and knocking them out of games. Howver, in today's news world, facts evidently don't matter when you've got a story on your hands...

Apparently, ESPN has now joined the ranks of FOX, CNN, and MSNBC as completely-spun BS propaganda outlets that serve an agenda. The fact that there is no actual, factual television news reporting left in America-- not even in sports-- is absolutely and undeniably pathetic.

Now, people are all worked-up over an exaggerated story about how inhumane it is to cheer a concussion to a football player. I'd wager most of these people support spreading more "democracy" across the world with bombs and bullets as if hundreds of thousands of deaths aren't enough already. The hypocrisy train rolls on...

So Chiefs fans will be subsequently crucified, torched, and tossed under the bus. Analysts across the country are drooling all over themselves at an opportunity to make KC look like a bunch of redneck barbarians (their disdain for the Chiefs has been obvious through the years).

Meanwhile, nobody is talking about how these guys are 1-4, leading the league in giveaways, and have not had a lead even once during regulation in any game this season.

Nobody is talking about how the Chiefs were the only team to find the end zone in Sunday's game (twice) but the scores were nullified by garbage refs that are no better than the scabs that replaced them while they were striking for more money to throw games on crap calls (this is far from the first time I thought a chunk of the owners in the league may still have an axe to grind from the AFL days). For the record, the Falcons ran that same pick play on us a dozen times or more in week 1 and I watched the Patriots doing the same thing to the Broncos just this past Sunday. Flacco's fumble can go right up there with the "simultaneous possession" fiasco between the Packers and Seahawks a few weeks ago in the BS category.

...but we're not talking about football. We're talking about how "horrible" and "classless" the fans are in KC...

The front office, coaches, and players are probably welcoming the distraction as the people that made all of these dudes rich take the heat. Chiefs fans keep paying for gold and getting dung in return. At a time where these guys SHOULD be taking flak from the fans, they have been turned into martyrs and the fans that have carried them on their backs for so long are now put on the defensive as their integrity is assaulted as a whole. Eric Winston was right about one thing, this whole mess is sickening and stinks to high heaven. It's sad that after 20 years, I doubt I'd give half a damn if Clark Hunt moved this "team" to LA tomorrow...

I really don't think I can stomach watching this franchise ruin Jamaal Charles' career/life by expecting him to run the ball 500 times this season. This guy is a special talent and it will be unforgivable to burn him out in one (losing) season.

I still want to give Romeo a hug. He seems like a really great, nice person. He just doesn't seem to be a very good coach. Running Jamaal Charles into the ground and risking his health/career to isolate your QB from mistakes/criticism is about as poor as game planning gets. Hire a true head coach or defensive coordinator. We have the defensive version of Todd Haley one year after letting him go...

Brian Daboll sucks. We passed on Al Saunders for this guy?! Really?! <facepalm> His offenses couldn't score in Cleveland and Miami and his offense can't score here in KC. Who DIDN'T see this coming?

Scott f'in Pioli is the most overrated trash that has EVER been pawned-off on this franchise. You could combine Todd Blacklidge, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, and Matt Cassel and still not be even in the same ballpark of BS hype masking the utter incompetence of this current GM. I really didn't think there was any way in hell it would be possible to do worse than Carl Peterson. I was wrong.

I've been through bad times and the not-so-bad times but now is an all-time low to be a Chiefs fan.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Dimitroff and Pioli are MILES apart in their respective philosophies. Although both came from the Patriot tree, Dimitroff built the Falcons HIS way - not Belichick's way. He went out and drafted himself a franchise QB - he didn't trade for a backup qb from somebody else.
    There is a reason coaches (Fisher) and players (Manning) don't want to be here. That reason is Scott Pioli and his pick up that gum wrapper management style.
    All we have ever needed was a good HC and a franchse QB to be a great team. Dimitroff has delivered both to Atlanta - Pioli has delivered neither. Pioli has failed and needs to go - NOW.
    Might I suggest you do some research? Scott Pioli is, & has always been an adviser to Dimitroff, including draft advice. Dimitroff calls Pioli for advice, and follows it. IE: He contacted Pioli & Belichick both related to advice on drafting a WR for Atlanta. Belichick advised him not to trade up, to draft Baldwin. Pioli advised him to trade up for Julio Jones, & told Dimitroff that Jones was worthy of giving up to 5 picks for. Dimitroff took Pioli's advice, drafted Jones. Oh, by the way, Pioli drafted Baldwin the same year.

Furthermore, Belichick has been struggling drafting talent since Pioli left, which blows some anti Pioli Chiefs fans theory, that Belichick was the brains behind drafting talent in NE, rather not Pioli.

I'm often in the dark like many fans, so I spend countless hours digging for the truth/facts, doing research, prior to forming judgments. I don't watch TV sports talk shows, nor listen to radio sports, who are nothing more than journalist spectators speculating with individual opinions just like us fans. Yet, many fans take what they hear from sports talk show hosts as being gospel. Media stirs controversy for sake of ratings & profit, self agenda.

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Please stop feeding Trollie Jo.

Anyone advocating for Pioli cannot be serious.

I really do like some of the talent Pioli has brought in and the media is hard on him because he has shut them out so much.

I was never making a case that Peterson was somehow good... I remember all the draft busts.

I really want to believe that we have competent leadership. It's a shame this has all turned so ugly.

There's plenty of blame to spread around but we have a game on Sunday...
    Last edited by m0ef0e; 10-10-2012 at 12:12 AM.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by m0ef0e View Post
    I really do like some of the talent Pioli has brought in and the media is hard on him because he has shut them out so much.

I was never making a case that Peterson was somehow good... I remember all the draft busts.

I really want to believe that we have competent leadership. It's a shame this has all turned so ugly.
    I want to believe in things too. I want to believe my politicians, I want to believe in Santa Claus and the Easter Bunny. The evidence suggests otherwise, and at the end of the day you have to weigh the evidence on its own merit. The laws of physics don't allow for a fat man delivering toys to all the good christian children in one night and the end product that the takes the field in Chiefs uniforms doesn't indicate that the general manager is doing his job right.

I wish he was, he'll I'd even settle for him to start now but all evidence indicates this isn't the case. Even after the horrible effort in Kansas City again the Chargers, they wouldn't even prep Quinn to play a little bit for the Ravens game.

For Crennel to say he never considered bringing Cassel out of that game... there's only two conclusion. Dementia or Crennel was TOLD that he was not taking Cassel out of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Dimitroff and Pioli are MILES apart in their respective philosophies. Although both came from the Patriot tree, Dimitroff built the Falcons HIS way - not Belichick's way. He went out and drafted himself a franchise QB - he didn't trade for a backup qb from somebody else.
    There is a reason coaches (Fisher) and players (Manning) don't want to be here. That reason is Scott Pioli and his pick up that gum wrapper management style.
    All we have ever needed was a good HC and a franchse QB to be a great team. Dimitroff has delivered both to Atlanta - Pioli has delivered neither. Pioli has failed and needs to go - NOW.
    More facts & truth from digging & doing my own research, rather than listen to hearsay.

Jeff Fisher flew to Clark Hunts private home in Dallas to meet with Hunt & Pioli. Now, if Fisher didn't want to come to KC...why in the hell did he waste his time flying to Hunts home in Dallas to be interviewed for the HC position?

Fisher chose to accept the job with the Rams, and he stated clearly on public format, that the reason he chose the Rams was because they had Bradford in place, and they had the #2 draft spot. That #2 draft spot afforded him to be in a very pretty new HC position, obtaining multiple picks trading the spot to the Skins so they could take RGIII.

The "gum wrapper"? Oh, you mean the one the Star reported about, of which an unconfirmed source known to be a former employee Pioli had fired, told the Star about? Oh, that would be the same Star that has not liked Pioli since he came to KC, because he tightened up media leaks within the organization? The same Star that has the power to crucify Pioli out of vindictiveness with the public, a public who believes every thing they say.

The Star has a self agenda related to crucifying Pioli with the masses...he didn't kiss their butts like Peterson did!

Manning? That would be the same Manning who talked to Pioli in depth on the phone for well over an hour about possibly coming to KC? The same Manning who is good friends with Pioli, Brady, & Cassel? The same Manning who after going to Denver said in an interview, that one of the reasons Denver appealed to him is because Elway offered to sign his close personal friend, Stokely? That's right, wherever Manning went, Stokely was part of the deal. It just so happens, that Stokely also makes his private permanent residence in Denver.

Oh, and that would be the same Manning who was an high injury risk concern for any team signing him? Who said publicly he would never be the same QB as in his prime, and didn't expect to be? The same Manning who has been inconsistent & struggling at times in Denver?

I have never been among those who are big Manning fans. I didn't want him in KC for justified reasons, most of which have been mentioned above. I don't want some other teams franchise QB who's nearing retirement, a high injury risk, facing yet another neck surgery to remove bone spurs (Manning said so himself). I don't want a temporary fix, of which Manning couldn't guarantee a short term fix, anyway. We tried that with Montana, didn't win a Lombardi. Manning has won one Lombardi in 14 years, no guarantee's.

There have been no feasible options for Pioli to draft a QB of the talent caliber he's seeking. Colts & Skins had the best two sewn up last year. Skins made it clear they would not be outbid for the Rams #2 spot to obtain RGIII. Colts weren't willing to trade their #1 pick. The remaining QB's were higher risk factors to be busts.

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by IslandKing77 View Post

UTTERLY uncalled for and you should apologize!

Quote Originally Posted by ctchiefsfan View Post
    UTTERLY uncalled for and you should apologize!
    I concur! CJ is nothing but an upstanding/outstanding member of this board.

And her title- "Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"- says it all.

Insults? Why? Because my opinion as a fan of 50 years disagree's with yours? Riiiight!!!

I can see how looking in the mirror you could justifiably make reference to a troll, but there is no way you will ever successfully make the name "Trollie Jo" stick to Connie. On the other hand you're proving, almost with every post reply, the many ways in which that term can be attributed to you.

For sake of serious credibility, haha...I have justified reasons for being an advocate of Scott Pioli. You see, I didn't just give him my respect & admiration foolishly, just as I didn't foolishly buy into the media circus or hearsay crapola of others bashing him. I form opinions as an independent thinker, free of bias & outside influence.

I do my research thoroughly before making judgments. My research extends beyond the field of play, although, I wisely consider what I see on the field of play, also. I look below the surface & see the good things occurring on the field that are improvements, evolution of talent, & more. I don't just focus on the QB, because I'm wise enough to know that one man doesn't win or lose games. I'm also wise enough to see, that much of what Cassel has been blamed for wasn't his fault, although granted, he makes mistakes.

I've also met the man known as Scott Pioli. I visited with him for quite a while one on one. He was absolutely nothing in personality as the media & others have portrayed him to be. He wasn't egotistical, he was humble, he wasn't rude, he was a gentleman, he wasn't brash, he was kind, and he has a great sense of humor.

This man, accused by many of not being accessible & open to fans...sought me out, 'me', no one special, just a fan. Scott Pioli sought me out he said, because he wanted to personally thank me for comments I had made earlier in the evening to him, Clark Hunt, and Chiefs President Mark Donovan. He told me that my comments meant the world to him, & he was very appreciative. He didn't have to do that, but that's the REAL MAN Scott Pioli is, that the media never mentions.

He made it very clear to me, that the Chiefs had become a part of his heart, and he was fully dedicated to being the best GM he could be. He also made it clear, that his goal is to do all he can within power & reason, to make the Chiefs a legitimate Super Bowl contender.

You may not believe him, but I looked in to the mans eyes when he spoke, observed the emotions when he spoke of the KC Chiefs. I'm a good part American Indian, Shawnee & Cree tribes...as such, I judge honesty by a persons eyes. The tongue may lie, but the eyes can not. He may never win a Super Bowl in KC, but he's going to do his damn best trying. His best may not be good enough for you, but it's good enough for me.

GO CHIEFS!!!

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast