Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: My take on all this (been a long time).

Default My take on all this (been a long time).

I made a case for Matt Cassel coming here when we signed him. I do think that there was some unwarranted hate for the man before he had a chance to prove himself. I acknowledge his time here has been anything but easy. I think he seems like a good guy with a good work ethic and I'm sorry things didn't turn out better on both ends of this deal. I hope he makes a full, speedy recovery and lives a long, happy life. That being said, I do not want to see him under center again in a Chiefs uniform.

After watching him play for the last few seasons, I really don't think Matt Cassel should have been on the field to get injured in the first place. His lackluster performance and turnovers aside, the guy has always looked like a deer in the headlights with pass rushers coming down on him. He just doesn't seem quite athletic enough to evade or absorb hits over a prolonged career in the NFL. I haven't been able to help but think that he was going to eventually get killed out there over the last couple of years. I vividly remember when Trent Green tried to take-off for a run in the twilight of his career against the Bengals when he got knocked out. It was horrible and I get that same feeling in my gut that I'm about to see something terrible each time Cassel is about to take a hit.

Speaking of that hit on Green, I also remember watching Damon Huard get us into the playoffs just to get benched in favor of Green so we could watch that train wreck. While Trent Green did a lot for the Chiefs in his time at QB and I agreed with him getting a shot, Damon Huard at least earned a chance that he never got when it was obvious that Green just wasn't what he had been before. This is just another example of this organization's LOOOOOONG history of playing politics rather than football at quarterback.

A prolonged lack of quality on the field has led to disappointment from the fans that has now grown into hostility. We have a divided fan base and an organization that's all at odds with each other-- a perfect storm that culminated into what we saw and heard on Sunday.

I'm not sure those people who cheered when Cassel went down did so because someone got hurt. While I'm not making excuses for the atrocious behavior of a few drunken hecklers I did hear in the audio, I think maybe most who cheered did so because that was the ONLY possible way that we were ever going to get someone else an opportunity under center. Maybe they were cheering for the thinnest ray of hope as there was NO WAY our gutless head coach and GM would have EVER benched the 66 million dollar man. Will Brady Quinn be our savior? Probably not but Chiefs fans have been drowning in a sea of misery for so long that some will see even the thinnest of threads as a lifeline to drag them up from the abyss.

Besides, anybody who has watched this team for the last 20 years and still hasn't become numbed to the point of hardly giving a damn has to be at least marginally insane. So Matt Cassel got hurt and some insane people cheered... It should have been left at that.

Instead, the same Chris Berman that shared a chuckle with Tom Jackson about Robert Griffin III sustaining a concussion Sunday scolds Chiefs fans on Monday night while fabricating a lie on national TV by saying Matt Cassel was "carted off" the field. I distinctly remember these jackwagons showing highlights of players getting leveled by devastating hits while screaming "HE GOT JACKED UP!" a few years back. It's hard to miss the irony here.

Mike Ditka, who made a career out of crushing people on the football field and regularly complains about the wussification of modern football, slammed chiefs fans for being drunken barbarians. Eric Winston, the player who's comments sparked this firestorm, spoke on radio shows a few months ago about how the players should have held out longer for a better CBA because the current one handed too much authoritarian power to Goodell as comissioner. Winston made these statements in response to the heavy-handed punishments and suspensions levied against the Saints by the league for paying bounties to defensive players for injuring opposing team members and knocking them out of games. Howver, in today's news world, facts evidently don't matter when you've got a story on your hands...

Apparently, ESPN has now joined the ranks of FOX, CNN, and MSNBC as completely-spun BS propaganda outlets that serve an agenda. The fact that there is no actual, factual television news reporting left in America-- not even in sports-- is absolutely and undeniably pathetic.

Now, people are all worked-up over an exaggerated story about how inhumane it is to cheer a concussion to a football player. I'd wager most of these people support spreading more "democracy" across the world with bombs and bullets as if hundreds of thousands of deaths aren't enough already. The hypocrisy train rolls on...

So Chiefs fans will be subsequently crucified, torched, and tossed under the bus. Analysts across the country are drooling all over themselves at an opportunity to make KC look like a bunch of redneck barbarians (their disdain for the Chiefs has been obvious through the years).

Meanwhile, nobody is talking about how these guys are 1-4, leading the league in giveaways, and have not had a lead even once during regulation in any game this season.

Nobody is talking about how the Chiefs were the only team to find the end zone in Sunday's game (twice) but the scores were nullified by garbage refs that are no better than the scabs that replaced them while they were striking for more money to throw games on crap calls (this is far from the first time I thought a chunk of the owners in the league may still have an axe to grind from the AFL days). For the record, the Falcons ran that same pick play on us a dozen times or more in week 1 and I watched the Patriots doing the same thing to the Broncos just this past Sunday. Flacco's fumble can go right up there with the "simultaneous possession" fiasco between the Packers and Seahawks a few weeks ago in the BS category.

...but we're not talking about football. We're talking about how "horrible" and "classless" the fans are in KC...

The front office, coaches, and players are probably welcoming the distraction as the people that made all of these dudes rich take the heat. Chiefs fans keep paying for gold and getting dung in return. At a time where these guys SHOULD be taking flak from the fans, they have been turned into martyrs and the fans that have carried them on their backs for so long are now put on the defensive as their integrity is assaulted as a whole. Eric Winston was right about one thing, this whole mess is sickening and stinks to high heaven. It's sad that after 20 years, I doubt I'd give half a damn if Clark Hunt moved this "team" to LA tomorrow...

I really don't think I can stomach watching this franchise ruin Jamaal Charles' career/life by expecting him to run the ball 500 times this season. This guy is a special talent and it will be unforgivable to burn him out in one (losing) season.

I still want to give Romeo a hug. He seems like a really great, nice person. He just doesn't seem to be a very good coach. Running Jamaal Charles into the ground and risking his health/career to isolate your QB from mistakes/criticism is about as poor as game planning gets. Hire a true head coach or defensive coordinator. We have the defensive version of Todd Haley one year after letting him go...

Brian Daboll sucks. We passed on Al Saunders for this guy?! Really?! <facepalm> His offenses couldn't score in Cleveland and Miami and his offense can't score here in KC. Who DIDN'T see this coming?

Scott f'in Pioli is the most overrated trash that has EVER been pawned-off on this franchise. You could combine Todd Blacklidge, Steve Bono, Elvis Grbac, and Matt Cassel and still not be even in the same ballpark of BS hype masking the utter incompetence of this current GM. I really didn't think there was any way in hell it would be possible to do worse than Carl Peterson. I was wrong.

I've been through bad times and the not-so-bad times but now is an all-time low to be a Chiefs fan.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by brdempsey69 View Post

Then how can you not see that the Chiefs are right back in the same disarray that they were when Pioli became the GM in 2009? Granted the roster has improved, but the coaching staff has gone though 2 HC's and 5 OC's and still no NFL-starting caliber QB.

People are focusing on the QB because they can easily see that is the most glaring problem with the Chiefs thus far this year & the obvious missing piece of the Chiefs puzzle. The Chiefs haven't had a poised and confident leader at QB who can throw the damn football accurately with any regularity through the first 4 and 3/4 games and it's killing them.
    The QB is the missing piece of the puzzle but yet we are still back to 2009? So the Chiefs where a QB away in 2008? Am I missing something here?
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

So what? Many of us have even more justified reasons for being against him than you have justified reasons for being an advocate of him.

Neither did any of us that are opposed to him. The success of the Chiefs on the field & what he's done with his drafts, coaching decisions, player management etc. has told us all we needed to know.

Then how can you not see that the Chiefs are right back in the same disarray that they were when Pioli became the GM in 2009? Granted the roster has improved, but the coaching staff has gone though 2 HC's and 5 OC's and still no NFL-starting caliber QB.

People are focusing on the QB because they can easily see that is the most glaring problem with the Chiefs thus far this year & the obvious missing piece of the Chiefs puzzle. The Chiefs haven't had a poised and confident leader at QB who can throw the damn football accurately with any regularity through the first 4 and 3/4 games and it's killing them.

What he has been blamed for, that I have seen, is his inaccarute passes that have nearly gotten receivers killed, his inability to lead his team to victory against teams with winning records, his inability to read defenses, his continually staring down receivers, his inability to throw the deep ball, his lack of pocket presence -- all of which are the GOSPEL TRUTH !!

He's also lost his self confidence and the confidence of the rest of the team.

But, of course, it's quite natural for him to give access to those that have a flattering tongue. Does he do the same for those that don't flatter him and question what he does & tell him that they don't see it his way? Fat chance.

Ever hear of the saying "just because someone is p!ssing on your head, doesn't mean it's raining"?

Sorry, but he's done anything BUT make the Chiefs a legit contender. Right now, they are the laughing stock of the NFL.

Sorry, but you are starting to sound like you flunked biology class. It is physically impossible to tell if one is lying from their eyes. The eyes don't speak verbally, the mouth does.

Perhaps you should consider pulling Pioli's tongue out of his head next time you meet up with him. That way nobody will have to worry about whether he lies or tells the truth.

He hasn't even got this team competitive with the average teams in the NFL, thus far. If what he's done thus far is good enough for you, then it's quite obvious ( and the pic of you with Pioli clearly illustrates this ) that you are letting sentiment get in the way of sound judgement.

In my judgement, what Pioli has done as a GM for the Chiefs is TOTALLY UNSATISFACTORY !!!

It's way past my bedtime, BUT...might I suggest rather than me type it all out, you simply Google how investigators, FBI, CIA, and others use the eyes to determine if someone is lying or not? hahaha FAIL!!! ;)

Many have passed blame on Cassel for interceptions that occurred because receivers didn't catch passes that were obviously catchable, but tipped into the hands of defenders. Cassel was blamed by many Sunday for the fumble on the goal line...even after the snapper stated publicly that he was the one who fumbled, not Cassel.

I could go on & on giving examples of blame put upon Cassel unfairly, but it's clear that your mind is closed to hold the opinions you do, just as mine is, hahaha.

I shall wait until the 5th season has concluded, assuming Pioli will remain our GM through the 5th season, before I begin to question his capabilities as a GM. I will agree he made mistakes not obtaining enough depth in 2011, of which he admitted to himself accepting accountability for that mistake. He did what he feasibly could to correct that this year in the draft & FA.

As far as Cassel...Pioli was not the only one who thought he would be capable to carry our team until it was feasible to draft a potential young franchise QB. Other teams sought Cassel also, after his successful season backing up an injured Brady. Many Chiefs fans also felt Cassel could get the job done.

There is no GM in the NFL who doesn't have busts from time to time, or players not meet their expectations. Most every aspect of the NFL is a gamble to some extent. You take the gamble you feel has the least risk, sometimes you win, sometimes you don't. You figure it out through trial, error & elimination. I believe the average is 30 games starting for an NFL QB to show signs of being a win or a loss. Also, just because a player fails on one team, doesn't mean he will on all. Environment, system, coaching...all plays a vital role in a players success or failure with a team. I believe Cassel has had many obstacles to overcome in KC since 2009, which stunted or hindered his play, many weren't in his control.

The fan base environment has been one of those obstacles. Please don't ask me to prove how fan bases can stunt or hinder a players success...or you'll be given links to sports psychology articles from Harvard, & other accredited sources which have done extensive studies on such. The data is overwhelming, and takes hours to read, of which I've done. I will be happy to provide you with the extensive data, however, hahaha.

Haley? Well, what do you suggest we do with Clark Hunt, fire him too? You see, Clark is very involved in the process & final decision making with hiring our HC's, & other important decisions. There is a reason Fisher & other HC candidates flew to Hunts home in Dallas for interviews. Besides, Clark was very thorough researching candidates to replace Peterson, he took his time, which was wise. However, by the time Pioli was hired, it was a bit too late, & most available HC's 2009 had been signed. They didn't have a large coaching pool to choose from.

The firing of Gailey was on Haley. Weis chose to leave due to not getting along with Haley, which was the turning point for Pioli wanting to fire Haley. Clark wasn't in favor of firing Haley at that time, over-rode Pioli. Clark was concerned there would be fan upset if Haley was fired shortly after winning the AFC West & Coach of the Year. Fans didn't have the inside knowledge of all the ongoing troubles with Haley, so they loved him.

Anyway, I'm off to get some much needed sleep. There's really no point in going back & forth, because neither will budge on their opinion, hahaha. ;)

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

Quote Originally Posted by Connie Jo View Post
    Might I suggest you do some research? Scott Pioli is, & has always been an adviser to Dimitroff, including draft advice. Dimitroff calls Pioli for advice, and follows it. IE: He contacted Pioli & Belichick both related to advice on drafting a WR for Atlanta. Belichick advised him not to trade up, to draft Baldwin. Pioli advised him to trade up for Julio Jones, & told Dimitroff that Jones was worthy of giving up to 5 picks for. Dimitroff took Pioli's advice, drafted Jones. Oh, by the way, Pioli drafted Baldwin the same year.

Furthermore, Belichick has been struggling drafting talent since Pioli left, which blows some anti Pioli Chiefs fans theory, that Belichick was the brains behind drafting talent in NE, rather not Pioli.

I'm often in the dark like many fans, so I spend countless hours digging for the truth/facts, doing research, prior to forming judgments. I don't watch TV sports talk shows, nor listen to radio sports, who are nothing more than journalist spectators speculating with individual opinions just like us fans. Yet, many fans take what they hear from sports talk show hosts as being gospel. Media stirs controversy for sake of ratings & profit, self agenda.
    Here's some research that I find relevant:
    Since 2009:
    Atlanta under Dimitroff: 38-16, 2 playoff appearances (both losses)
    Kansas City under Pioli: 22-31, 0 playoff appearances.
    SHUT IT

[quote=Ryfo18;268272]
    Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    He went out and drafted himself a franchise QB - he didn't trade for a backup qb from somebody else. /QUOTE]

The difference with that and Pioli's situation is that Atlanta was fortunate enough to have a talented quarterback fall to them at #3.

Here's the 1st round QBs Pioli has passed on that he could have taken without trading up:

Mark Sanchez
    Josh Freeman
    Tim Tebow

That's it!

The problem behind all of this is that Matt Cassel isn't that good. But we also haven't had a great opportunity to draft a good quarterback.
    If your QB isn't there when it's your turn to draft, then you move up to get him. That's it. But Pioli wasn't about to admit his 66 million mistake and do this. We might had moved up, for example, to grab Christian Ponder rather than grab Baldwin at 26.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Here's some research that I find relevant:
    Since 2009:
    Atlanta under Dimitroff: 38-16, 2 playoff appearances (both losses)
    Kansas City under Pioli: 22-31, 0 playoff appearances.
    we did have 1 playoff appearance for the 2010 season

Quote Originally Posted by AkChief49 View Post
    we did have 1 playoff appearance for the 2010 season
    You correct.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    The QB is the missing piece of the puzzle but yet we are still back to 2009? So the Chiefs where a QB away in 2008? Am I missing something here?
    Yes, the part about "disarray" -- nobody can dispute that they look just as lost in 2012 as they did in 2009.

Yes, the part about "disarray" -- nobody can dispute that they look just as lost in 2012 as they did in 2009.
    My mistake. That's what happens when I am reading post at 2:30 am

I don't think this team is in as much disarray as they where when Pioli took over. There are not players lineing out just to get out. Things are not good enough and Pioli needs to be feeling the heat for his job. But I think to say things are just as bad as when Pioli took over is a bit of a reach IMO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    My mistake. That's what happens when I am reading post at 2:30 am

I don't think this team is in as much disarray as they where when Pioli took over. There are not players lineing out just to get out. Things are not good enough and Pioli needs to be feeling the heat for his job. But I think to say things are just as bad as when Pioli took over is a bit of a reach IMO
    One has to consider that they do have a better roster than they had in 2009, but yet, we are seeing similar results and the same type of disarray <--- that, to me, makes it even worse than 2009.

Quote Originally Posted by Chiefster View Post
    I can see how looking in the mirror you could justifiably make reference to a troll, but there is no way you will ever successfully make the name "Trollie Jo" stick to Connie. On the other hand you're proving, almost with every post reply, the many ways in which that term can be attributed to you.

I know it's terribly inconvenient when someone comes on here and disagrees with you. It's so terrible you have to send multiple warnings to thier account while people who argue the same position as yours say much worse things without any kind of repercussion.

You can do whatever you want in terms of this forum, it really isn't a big deal to me. It's too bad however that nothing you do on here will make Pioli a better GM or Cassel a better QB.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast