Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whitlock on Winston's comments (radio).

Default Whitlock on Winston's comments (radio).

I know a lot of you guys aren't fans of his but I figured some people may want to give it a listen.

Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Eric Winston is NOT lying in that it did happen! I was there too, and at least 50 other Chiefs friends were there who also will attest they witnessed fans reacting happy about Matt being hurt! We were all in different sections throughout Arrowhead!

No, it wasn't 70'000 fans, but I'd say judging from experiences of those who witnessed/heard it...it was at least 1/8 of the fans at Arrowhead who celebrated Matt's injury.

It doesn't matter how many did it, the point is there were enough of them who did that it felt like the entire stadium to an upset Eric Winston at the time! He wasn't the only Chiefs player who observed fans celebrating Matt being hurt. Also, Ravens players heard it too, & a couple of them spoke up saying they found it appalling, not right!

So...you have Chiefs & Ravens players, as well as 1,000's of fans who witnessed it besides Eric. It depended upon what part of the stadium you were as to what you heard. Many in upper level don't hear the crowd noise or heckling in lower level, vice versa. Not all sections had fans behaving that repulsively, but some did, including mine!!

"Official Chiefs Crowd / Historian/Correspondent / Ambassador"

"The greatest accomplishment is not in never falling, but in rising again after you fall. The real glory is being knocked to your knees and then coming back. That's real glory. That's the essence of it." ~Vince Lombardi~

You must be psychic to be able to know what the fans are cheering, since the cheers are simultaneous with Quinn coming on the field and then cheering again as Cassel walks off the field.

Which happens every time any injured player walks off the field.

But you can obviously peer into the minds of those around you, so congrats for that.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandKing77 View Post
    You must be psychic to be able to know what the fans are cheering, since the cheers are simultaneous with Quinn coming on the field and then cheering again as Cassel walks off the field.

But you can obviously peer into the minds of those around you, so congrats for that.
    There is no need to make personal attacks like that, this board is starting to take an ugly turn from being an open discussion to chiefs planet. Just relax a few minutes before posting.

Quote Originally Posted by IslandKing77 View Post

Well look, Connie was there, she can take a sampling of the reaction of people around her and extrapolate that the same percentage was likely throughout the stadium.

Even here on this board, there were a few, likely caught up in the heat of the moment, but they took the time to actually write out there feelings about Matt getting hurt.

Winston was wrong to say 70,000 fans, but that is the problem with wide brushed generalizations. But here is the deal, it was enough people that it made it to his ears and he reacted to it.

One thing I can say for sure, if all of this does not impact the owner and manager, then nothing will and those who are so upset about the way this team is run, then you might want to make other arrangements.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

http://www.chiefscrowd.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=1540&dateline=1380047  325]

Quote Originally Posted by Hayvern View Post
    Well look, Connie was there, she can take a sampling of the reaction of people around her and extrapolate that the same percentage was likely throughout the stadium.

Even here on this board, there were a few, likely caught up in the heat of the moment, but they took the time to actually write out there feelings about Matt getting hurt.

Winston was wrong to say 70,000 fans, but that is the problem with wide brushed generalizations. But here is the deal, it was enough people that it made it to his ears and he reacted to it.

One thing I can say for sure, if all of this does not impact the owner and manager, then nothing will and those who are so upset about the way this team is run, then you might want to make other arrangements.
    That was the only thing wrong he did. If he would of said "some of the fans" or something that didn't make it sound like the whole stadium, i don't think ESPN would of ran with it, or maybe they would, because bad news is great ratings.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    That was the only thing wrong he did. If he would of said "some of the fans" or something that didn't make it sound like the whole stadium, i don't think ESPN would of ran with it, or maybe they would, because bad news is great ratings.
    Eric made it known he wanted them to run with it, taking time to make sure everyone was present and telling them he wanted this ran. I don't think anyone has issue with that at all. It's the fact they used his 70k number to twist the story that the entire stadium erupted.

Quote Originally Posted by doobs_05 View Post
    The problem for Winston is that he first said he wanted them to run with it, going so far as to say if they didn't he would not talk to them anymore.

Then he made is 70K statement. OK, well 70K would have been a hard stretch since Arrowhead only holds 79K and it was not a sell out. I am sure that there was 200 - 300 standing in line getting a beer when it all went down.

This seems to be the main contending point with his speech. "It wasn't 70,000 people cheering". OK OK< so it wasn't 70K, but there were clearly enough that it made it to his ears as well as many others ears and things were said and yelled about Cassel being down and injured. He exhaggerated the number, but the premise of his argument is sound. There should not have been any cheering for the man to be injured.

Say what you will, but if you were one of those who cheered for Matt's injury, then you have been called out.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Winston said this at NFL.com

"If there was anything I could take back, and not even take back, just clarify more that I was speaking to the people who were cheering and not the total fan base," Winston said. "I realize how great the fans are here. That's the one thing I wish I was a little more clear about."
    Clark Hunt: Kansas City Chiefs fans know not to cheer injuries - NFL.com

That's good enough for me. It's understandable for a player to blow off steam given the way things have gone this season. Fans have been doing the same. It works both ways.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast