Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The rest of this team is pretty good.

Default The rest of this team is pretty good.

The defense had a really bad first couple of games but has markedly improved. Tamba Hali and Justin Houston are providing a good combo for getting pressure. Stanford Routt needs to improve some more but the secondary has played better the last few games (getting Flowers back helped). The defense has really done well the last few games, especially considering our offense leads the league in turnovers.

Special teams has been solid. Succop has proved he can be called-on and everybody knows how great a punter Colquitt is. Coverage has been good as well (Terrence Copper comes to mind with his performance this week).

WE HAVE A RUNNING GAME. A really, really good running game. Jamaal Charles is awesome. We NEED to be able to fully capitalize on his ability (and take some of the workload off him) by using play-action. It is a disservice to Charles, his teammates, the organization, and the fans to abuse him the way we are. Not being able to utilize the threat of Jamaal Charles' rushing ability in the passing game is like using a Swiss Army knife only as a screwdriver: It can wear out quickly and can be a much more invaluable and versatile tool when used properly. As good as he is now, imagine if Jamaal Charles had the threat of a passing game to keep the defense honest!

While I've seen a lot of tipped balls for interceptions this year, I've also seen phenomenal catches from Bowe, Baldwin, Mccluster, and Moeaki in the time they've been with the team.

I'm not going to rant in this thread about QB. I'm trying to keep this about the good stuff we have. However, I really do think it's possible that one key position could be turning a team of potential heroes into zeros.
    Thanks for all the yards, TDs, and memories, Priest!

Quote Originally Posted by AussieChiefsFan View Post
    Are you in favor of drafting a high 1st round QB? Like #5 or higher. A guy like Geno Smith.
    Quote Originally Posted by #58ChiefsFan View Post
    No matter the outcome of this season we must do this IMO
    My question is what are you willing to give up to get a rookie QB next year. If we do better the rest of the season and end up close to 8-8 (which is what I expect, no matter who is at QB) we may be drafting in the teens.

At that point what/who are we willing to trade to move up. They way the last couple of drafts have gone, good luck waiting for a decent QB to drop past ~10. Which means we need to trade to move up. Do we do what Washington did and trade 2 1sts and most of this coming years draft?

The question should be what do you want to give up for a QB in the next draft?

Im not sure I would be willing to make a trade as big as Washington's to get the consensus #1. If we were able to trade D.Bowe now, it would make it easier, since we would have more draft picks, but it is going to be hard to get anything for D.Bowe at this point in the season with his contract.

We also have to consider what ctchiefsfan said that if we draft a QB (and give away our next 2 drafts to do so) by the time he would be considered elite, guys like Hali, DJ, JC, Albert, Winston may be considered on the downslope of their careers, and we wouldnt have the draft picks to be able to replace them.
    Last edited by jap1; 10-10-2012 at 10:19 PM.

I can't waste this year thinking about the draft. I think the chiefs should open
    Up the passing game against the bucs, here they think the chiefs are just gonna run the ball so why not surprise them. I think this team is stacked with talent and can go as far as they want. They need to lay a beat down on
    Tampa.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    My question is what are you willing to give up to get a rookie QB next year. If we do better the rest of the season and end up close to 8-8 (which is what I expect, no matter who is at QB) we may be drafting in the teens.

At that point what/who are we willing to trade to move up. They way the last couple of drafts have gone, good luck waiting for a decent QB to drop past ~10. Which means we need to trade to move up. Do we do what Washington did and trade 2 1sts and most of this coming years draft?

Im not sure I would be willing to make a trade as big as Washington's to get the consensus #1. If we were able to trade D.Bowe now, it would make it easier, since we would have more draft picks, but it is going to be hard to get anything for D.Bowe at this point in the season with his contract.

We also have to consider what ctchiefsfan said that if we draft a QB (and give away our next 2 drafts to do so) by the time he would be considered elite, guys like Hali, DJ, JC, Albert, Winston may be considered on the downslope of their careers, and we wouldnt have the draft picks to be able to replace them.

At 8-8 you have a lot more confidence in where this team will end up than I do at this point. It's Piolis job to make it happen and it's way too early to have a specific draft debate, way too much to be determined yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post

I agree I would not give as much as the Redskins did, but we should not have to. Last year there was only 2 or 3 good prospects, this year there may be as many as 6 or more, its still too early to tell.

We need to do whatever it takes and trade to a spot we can draft one. I prefer gano Smith, but my view may change by April. Trading up would hurt us some, but should be well worth it. A good, accurate, mobile, QB would make an amediate impact, would work wonders with our run game, and would also keep the Defense off the field. With a real QB the star players you mentioned would be more likely to resign. Obviously Albert contract runs out this year.

What we don't want the Chiefs to do is "To Do Business as Usual" as that is likely to bring the same results.

20 years without a playoff win doesn't cut it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12