Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yahoo! news top stories: Gonzalez breaks record!

Default Yahoo! news top stories: Gonzalez breaks record!

This was one of the top stories on the front page of yahoo.com

KC's Gonzalez breaks tight end TD record

KC's Gonzalez breaks tight end TD record
    td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }October 14, 2007

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) -- Tony Gonzalez, who admits he "hated football" when he first played as a youngster, has now caught more touchdown passes than any tight end in NFL history.
    The eight-time Pro Bowler of the Kansas City Chiefs caught a 3-yard pass from Damon Huard in the first quarter against Cincinnati on Sunday, breaking the record of 62 touchdown receptions set by Shannon Sharpe from 1990-03.
    ADVERTISEMENT

if(window.yzq_d==null)window.yzq_d=new Object();window.yzq_d['cXZ1S0SOxIo-']='&U=13btnik22%2fN%3dcXZ1S0SOxIo-%2fC%3d574239.10108753.12036193.1414694%2fD%3dLREC %2fB%3d4934398';The sellout crowd in Arrowhead Stadium gave him a standing ovation when his feat was announced a few minutes later.
    He added a 26-yard TD catch from Huard with 8:03 remaining.
    "Breaking the record for touchdown catches is not anything I ever thought I would do," Gonzalez, a two-way football and basketball star at California, has said. "When I first came into the league, all I wanted to do was be the best player I could be."
    A first-round pick of the Chiefs in 1997, the 31-year-old Gonzalez came into the game ranked second in NFL history for tight ends with 750 receptions and 9,048 yards receiving. While scheming to stop Gonzalez from getting the record against his team last week, Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio two weeks ago paid tribute to his capacity for hard work. "You're talking about a future Hall of Fame guy," said Del Rio. "You have to have both physical toughness and mental toughness to sustain greatness."

Way to go TG!!!
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

I got a picture of this play. I think it was before he caught the ball. That's it. Be back after while. I'm getting those pictures ready.
    Everything happens for a reason.

What does MushMouth Shannon Sharpe have to say???? LOL - great job Tony!!!

GO,GO Gonzalez!!!

I think I saw a tear when Shannon found out at the half. However, being Shannon, that tear turned into a smirk and then said, "You beat my record, now you gotta win a playoff game." Wow, haha. Apparently, they're friends though, so I guess it won't make TG mad, but it may make some of us CCers mad!

I missed that cuz I was at the game.... losing my voice when he made the first td. I hope mushmouth eats his words..... now mind you, I have been tailgating all day.

MushMouth said he (Shannon) would just have to break the record again next week.

So they all said "Oh so you're the one who got the call?" then Boomer handed him the phone and he said "Oh no, I was just kidding, good job Tony."

Still a sore loser.
    http://arrowheadjunkies.com/pictures/PhotoShop/sig_pics/NFL_Players/kansas_city_chiefs/tyson.jackson/062009/tyson.jackson.500.png

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    MushMouth said he (Shannon) would just have to break the record again next week.

So they all said "Oh so you're the one who got the call?" then Boomer handed him the phone and he said "Oh no, I was just kidding, good job Tony."

Still a sore loser.
    Swwweeeeettt.... what a great game to be at.... and to think I forgot to bet on anything this week!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tammietailgator View Post
    Swwweeeeettt.... what a great game to be at.... and to think I forgot to bet on anything this week!!!
    I forgot to bet on the Chiefs offense, but I will survive!

Quote Originally Posted by hermhater View Post
    I forgot to bet on the Chiefs offense, but I will survive!
    Well, I'd hope so.... look how much $$ you have.... LOL
    how do you get all that anyway?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast