Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If we rebuild...again

Default If we rebuild...again

Something isn't working and I'm thinking heads will roll after this season.

IF we replace Pioli and the entire coaching staff AND are successful in finding competent replacements...what happens next?

My immediate answer is to draft a 1st round qb. We need some type of franchise qb to compete in this league.

My concerns with getting a new young qb is that a lot of the great pieces we have now will be gone. We have a young improving o-line. (If we resign Albert) so thats not a concern. I don't see Jamaal Charles playing past 29 since his production is based mostly on speed (He'll be 27 next year), so we will need a RB (those aren't too hard to find). Bowe might be gone, he's not a good leader but is a good playmaking WR. Baldwin hasn't shown anything and there aren't any other #1 options.

The defense could be saved IMO with a good DC who is only the DC and not head coach. It would be great to go back to a 4-3 with the pieces we have there now. (I don't like that we switched to the 3-4 because everyone was doing it, it was working because tweeners were falling in the draft because not many teams ran it then) Derrick Johnson is 29 and will provide good leadership. Houston should be a staple as well as Hali. The D-Line will probably be shaken up depending on what Dorsey and Jackson do. We have 3 nice project DT's that will be around for a while. The secondary needs a top CB to work with Flowers. Flowers is a great leader and is more than willing to help develop a young stud CB. (we need to take advantage of that). We will see how much of Berry is back next year, he isn't recovered.

There are a LOT of decisions to be made if the majority of Chiefs fans get their wishes of a clean house. What other situations would we have to be aware of outside of players age?

Question: Is there anyone on the current coaching staff that should keep a job here? A line coach or anything?

I don't think that this team needs a full rebuild. I think that they need a proven head coach and a QB that is better then what we have. If we get those two things I think we have a shot with the team that we have. A full rebuild isn't needed. We still have a lot of young talent. We just need a couple of the most important spots. That's been our killer this season. Mostly due to poor coaching.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

I agree with matthewschiefs. We need better leadership vice an overhaul in personnel. I dont think we have the front 7 personnel on defense to run a 4-3. I would really hate that move. JC and our defense have been the only parts of the team that has shown SOME promise. When they arent being given a short field, the defense has done well except for a couple of games.

For a 4-3, we only have a couple people who would fit. Dorsey, Jackson, Poe, Powe, Toribio and Ropati would all play DT. None of them could play DE except in running situations. None of them have the speed to get to the QB. Hali could play DE, but he would have to put weight back on that he lost when we moved to 3-4. Im not sure if Houston would hold up on the DE. He seems a bit small and would likely have to put on weight. He also isnt a really good fit for OLB in the 4-3.

DJ could play ILB, or OLB, but he never really started clicking until we moved him to ILB when we ran the 4-3. Who else would play LB? Moving to a 4-3 would set us back.

Back to the original topic, who would we keep coaching staff wise? Whomever is our LB coach should be kept. Our LBs have developed very well (see Houston, J). I have also like the improvement I have seen on the DL, so I would keep them (Im not sure if we have a DL coach, since that is Romeo's specialty). Our RB coach has also been excellent IMO. The young guys like Draughn and Gray are doing better than I expected so far.

My preference is to demote RAC back to D. Coordinator and get a young head coach. Preferably someone known for running strong offenses, and get a better OC. Playerwise, I would like to see a QB, ILB, and some more competition in the secondary. If Bowe leaves (which I am certain he will), then I would also like to get a WR, preferably a speed WR to get over the top of the defense.

I agree to an extent with matthewschiefs and jap. Unfortunately I'm betting that's not how things will work out. Crennel is gone after this year. I can't see him keeping the HC position after uttering "I don't know" more then two or three times. It's his job to know, even if he doesn't.

The problem with Crennel leaving is that a new HC will want his guys and Crennel even if we want him too won't take a demotion back to DC. I can't imagine anyone working anywhere being in a management position and getting bumped back down and being able to look his guys in the eyes any more. So that leaves us with getting a new OC (completely ok with this), new DC (sucks but is what it is), more then likely as jap said we'll keep our LB and RB coaches. I'd agree that they're doing good. Everyone else is probably gone except for (maybe) low level coaching positions and I don't know how they keep their job with the way we've been this year.

Players: Bowe is gone, I'd fall over dead if he stays and has a contract with us. I feel the same way about Dorsey as well. His talents are being wasted in a 3-4 defense and we should have parted ways with him a long time ago. I think he's translated well but we've done a disservice to him by keeping him. Albert I have a feeling will want to test the free agent waters. To me once he does and see's what he can get I wouldn't be suprized to see him leave too. Colquit I could see staying. Jackson I'd say restructures his contract and stays too.

Staying on the down side of things, as much as I like DJ he's getting older and ILB's need to be the rock of your defense. I think we need to prepare for him aging and get his replacement in here now. We also need to replace Belcher, period. With Dorsey gone we'll need an upgrade at RDE and we desperately need a compliment to Flowers. So that leaves my list as RDE, ILB(DJ's replacement), ILB(replace Belcher), CB, Safety. I say we need a safety because we need backups and that's become apparent this year.

Offensively, we need either a replacement for one of our guards or depth. I'll hope for drafting someone and they come in and dominate so much that it boots one of our guys. Allen has been playing decent for his rookie year, Hudson will be back next year and Asamoah has been meh at best. With Albert gone we'll need a new LT and Winston as much as I'm not liking him right now is serviceable for a few years. QB obviously is a need, WR as Bowe will be gone, a RB to replace Hillis and will someone please find us a dang fullback?!?

So to recap, my thoughts are that basically the entirety of the coaches replaced as jap mentioned. But then to me we need RDE, 2 ILB's, CB, S, interior lineman, LT, QB, WR, RB and FB. That's 11 guys. I'm not so naive to think that we need every single one of them to win but my order of importance after coaches... QB, LT, WR, CB (Routt replacement), ILB (Belcher replacement) and RDE (depth/starter) rounds out our absolute needs. Wants are everything after that. Obviously DJ's replacement doesn't have to be found right now, we have serviceable safeties, linemen are serviceable for now, RB's are serviceable and FB...well yeah.

Anywho, that's my list.

We need two things at QB, I have been saying it for a long time.

Most successful teams at QB have two things, they have a crafty and smart veteran on their staff and they have a young talent that is being taught.

This team does not have a crafty veteran, though I think we have some options for a player like that in free agency.

The best I could hope for is that the Chiefs go out and pick up a young franchise QB early in the draft. Geno Smith comes to mind, but there are likely others as well.

Then I say we go out and get a veteran QB as well, one that has been in the league a while, has shown some success, but is going to have a hard time being a starter anymore. There are some names out there, but I am not goign to mention them in order to avoid the flame war that will undoubtedly ensue.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

Quote Originally Posted by jap1 View Post
    I agree with matthewschiefs. We need better leadership vice an overhaul in personnel. I dont think we have the front 7 personnel on defense to run a 4-3. I would really hate that move. JC and our defense have been the only parts of the team that has shown SOME promise. When they arent being given a short field, the defense has done well except for a couple of games.

For a 4-3, we only have a couple people who would fit. Dorsey, Jackson, Poe, Powe, Toribio and Ropati would all play DT. None of them could play DE except in running situations. None of them have the speed to get to the QB. Hali could play DE, but he would have to put weight back on that he lost when we moved to 3-4. Im not sure if Houston would hold up on the DE. He seems a bit small and would likely have to put on weight. He also isnt a really good fit for OLB in the 4-3.

DJ could play ILB, or OLB, but he never really started clicking until we moved him to ILB when we ran the 4-3. Who else would play LB? Moving to a 4-3 would set us back.

Back to the original topic, who would we keep coaching staff wise? Whomever is our LB coach should be kept. Our LBs have developed very well (see Houston, J). I have also like the improvement I have seen on the DL, so I would keep them (Im not sure if we have a DL coach, since that is Romeo's specialty). Our RB coach has also been excellent IMO. The young guys like Draughn and Gray are doing better than I expected so far.

My preference is to demote RAC back to D. Coordinator and get a young head coach. Preferably someone known for running strong offenses, and get a better OC. Playerwise, I would like to see a QB, ILB, and some more competition in the secondary. If Bowe leaves (which I am certain he will), then I would also like to get a WR, preferably a speed WR to get over the top of the defense.
    I don't agree with many of the things you said, but the most glaring thing that you missed on your list is Safety. We have Berry and that fills that one safety spot, but Kendrick Lewis is not the answer at the other spot. I think Arenas could do the job, but he would need to be taken off special teams duty.

Other than QB, I am willing to bet my season tickets next year that the Chiefs will have a void at LT unless Alber is given the Franchise Tag. Brandon Albert was upset last year when he was not selected to the pro-bowl as He and his agent believe he is a top three LT in the NFL and his contract is up and he will want to be paid.

We will probably end up drafting another DT with our first.

Unless we have changes on many levels I think we may need to look for a bit of depth at the Punter position. I'm not sure how long Colquitt can last at this pace.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I don't think that this team needs a full rebuild. I think that they need a proven head coach and a QB that is better then what we have. If we get those two things I think we have a shot with the team that we have. A full rebuild isn't needed. We still have a lot of young talent. We just need a couple of the most important spots. That's been our killer this season. Mostly due to poor coaching.
    I agree. This team isn't going to need a full blown rebuild. We can be right back into it next year, with proper changed.

Quote Originally Posted by reded View Post
    Unless we have changes on many levels I think we may need to look for a bit of depth at the Punter position. I'm not sure how long Colquitt can last at this pace.
    OMG, I nearly coughed my soda up my nose when I read this.

Though I do agree with you, Colquitt is getting way too much usage in a game, I am not sure how he will ever hold up getting 10 - 11 touches in a game!

MUAHAHAHA

The best post I have read in WEEKS!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast