Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why I'm so defensive of our QBS

Hybrid View

Default Why I'm so defensive of our QBS

As many have noted on here I have been one of if not the most vocal defenders of the QBs on this team. Whether that be Cassel or Quinn I have defended them all season long. I can now point to an example as to why that's the case.

Last night Alex Smith of the 49ers played OUTSTANDING. He only missed 1 pass the whole game. A few seasons ago Smith was in the same seat that Matt Cassel has been in over the course of his time in KC. But that's changed a lot over the last 2 seasons. What happened. He got a good HEAD COACH.

This is not a team that is just lacking good play out of the QB. Our Wrs have not played to the level they can. Our O line hasn't been great. Our guys are tipping passes to the defenders. Many talk about how the passes are not great. And the most common thing is overthrows. Well I can say I have watched many other NFL games. The same throws are being made by other QBs around the NFL. There guys have to go up and get the ball. NONE of them have tipped the ball to the defenders as often as our guys have. WHY Is that? We have some good WRS. Bowe is one of the most talented in the NFL. Baldwin has shown promise at times looked lost at others. They don't suck. They are the victim of the same thing our QBs have been the victim of. HORRIBLE COACHING.

A good head coach and good coaching staff can go a long way for the players. We saw Matt Cassel play well with a great head coach in New England. He hasn't had that in KC. And Cassel is not a great enough player to overcome poor coaching. He needs it.

This team is suffering from a lot of things. Poor Qb play is on that list. But the biggest thing they are suffering from is a BAD head coach and a bad coaching staff. Nothing is going to get better in KC until that changes. Many want a 1st pick to get a Great college QB. Well unless we get change in coaching that QB isn't going to be able to do much better then what we see the current guys doing. Alex Smith shows just how far a good head coach can take a player. We haven't seen that since Dick Vermil. It's not in KC now. If the Chiefs are ever going to be a winner again they HAVE to find a real head coach. That's where it starts. Get a real head coach and then work on the other problems but it starts with the coaching staff.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    As many have noted on here I have been one of if not the most vocal defenders of the QBs on this team. Whether that be Cassel or Quinn I have defended them all season long. I can now point to an example as to why that's the case.

Last night Alex Smith of the 49ers played OUTSTANDING. He only missed 1 pass the whole game. A few seasons ago Smith was in the same seat that Matt Cassel has been in over the course of his time in KC. But that's changed a lot over the last 2 seasons. What happened. He got a good HEAD COACH.

This is not a team that is just lacking good play out of the QB. Our Wrs have not played to the level they can. Our O line hasn't been great. Our guys are tipping passes to the defenders. Many talk about how the passes are not great. And the most common thing is overthrows. Well I can say I have watched many other NFL games. The same throws are being made by other QBs around the NFL. There guys have to go up and get the ball. NONE of them have tipped the ball to the defenders as often as our guys have. WHY Is that? We have some good WRS. Bowe is one of the most talented in the NFL. Baldwin has shown promise at times looked lost at others. They don't suck. They are the victim of the same thing our QBs have been the victim of. HORRIBLE COACHING.

A good head coach and good coaching staff can go a long way for the players. We saw Matt Cassel play well with a great head coach in New England. He hasn't had that in KC. And Cassel is not a great enough player to overcome poor coaching. He needs it.

This team is suffering from a lot of things. Poor Qb play is on that list. But the biggest thing they are suffering from is a BAD head coach and a bad coaching staff. Nothing is going to get better in KC until that changes. Many want a 1st pick to get a Great college QB. Well unless we get change in coaching that QB isn't going to be able to do much better then what we see the current guys doing. Alex Smith shows just how far a good head coach can take a player. We haven't seen that since Dick Vermil. It's not in KC now. If the Chiefs are ever going to be a winner again they HAVE to find a real head coach. That's where it starts. Get a real head coach and then work on the other problems but it starts with the coaching staff.
    That is what I have been saying too, though I do believe the QB play has not been good though. For the team, the head coach is the most important thing. I think we are seeing that in spades this year.

Are you man enough? Eric Berry? Apparently Not!

I believe we need both!!!
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post

I disagree, Smith was a skilled college player who was a high 1st rd draft pick. Cassel is neither, Cassel couldnt even get on the field in college. Smith took a little longer to progress through the stages to become a good QB, not just because he got a good HC. I still dont think he is great...but you know what he doesnt do? Turn the ball over. Cassel does, ALOT. A bad QB that turns the ball over is a recipe for disaster, and we are all eating that steaming pile of feces that is the result.

It's called the win column, perhaps you've heard of it?

Quote Originally Posted by H-townChiefsFan View Post
    I disagree, Smith was a skilled college player who was a high 1st rd draft pick. Cassel is neither, Cassel couldnt even get on the field in college. Smith took a little longer to progress through the stages to become a good QB, not just because he got a good HC. I still dont think he is great...but you know what he doesnt do? Turn the ball over. Cassel does, ALOT. A bad QB that turns the ball over is a recipe for disaster, and we are all eating that steaming pile of feces that is the result.
    I'm not saying they are similar players I'm saying there situations are not all that different in the NFL. I think we can say that Smith was hurt by bad coaching. Give him a good coach and he improved. He led his team to the NFC title game a year ago. I think Cassel has been hurt by poor coaching. That's why I will and have never agreed with anyone who said that we need a "real qb". Poor coaching can really have a bad effect on a QB. We see with Smith a QB that can be considered a total bust can still have a good run in the NFL given the right head coach. We could use both a QB and a coach I would agree. But changing just 1 wouldn't make all that much of a difference. That's why I have defended our QBs. They are being hurt by the coaching staff or lack there of one. Smith is just a good example of how much a coach can make a difference in a player IMO
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Id be ok with Zorn taking a walk after the end of the season with Jim Bob, Sirianni, Daboll, and Crennel.

Can anyone show me how Jim has made any of the QB's on this team better since he got here? Maybe its a blind rage but I can't see where he has helped.

The fact that Harbaugh played the position(as a pro) does not hurt Alex Smith either.

all the coaches have to go,its a clean house time.we might as well ride out CASSEL til his contract ends and by then maybe there will be a good QB to draft.this year there are no good ones to draft,they are all bums.pioli has to go also,all he did was bring in NE players with no talent

Quote Originally Posted by kcnation View Post
    all the coaches have to go,its a clean house time.we might as well ride out CASSEL til his contract ends and by then maybe there will be a good QB to draft.this year there are no good ones to draft,they are all bums.pioli has to go also,all he did was bring in NE players with no talent
    I am willing to bet some of the QBs in the coming class will pan out and be good NFL players. Not all classes are going to have Luck and RG3. QBs like Flacco, Ryan, Stafford and Schaub are all examples to varying degrees. This coming class really reminds me of the one Stafford came out of.

Quote Originally Posted by Isawa_mo View Post
    I am willing to bet some of the QBs in the coming class will pan out and be good NFL players. Not all classes are going to have Luck and RG3. QBs like Flacco, Ryan, Stafford and Schaub are all examples to varying degrees. This coming class really reminds me of the one Stafford came out of.
    Also you cant really judge the class till AFTER they are in the NFL. We dont know if Weeden or Wilson or any of the other QBs will look down the road. Bradford was suppose to do so much for the Rams... and they still havent turned it around.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast