Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: If we rebuild...again

Default If we rebuild...again

Something isn't working and I'm thinking heads will roll after this season.

IF we replace Pioli and the entire coaching staff AND are successful in finding competent replacements...what happens next?

My immediate answer is to draft a 1st round qb. We need some type of franchise qb to compete in this league.

My concerns with getting a new young qb is that a lot of the great pieces we have now will be gone. We have a young improving o-line. (If we resign Albert) so thats not a concern. I don't see Jamaal Charles playing past 29 since his production is based mostly on speed (He'll be 27 next year), so we will need a RB (those aren't too hard to find). Bowe might be gone, he's not a good leader but is a good playmaking WR. Baldwin hasn't shown anything and there aren't any other #1 options.

The defense could be saved IMO with a good DC who is only the DC and not head coach. It would be great to go back to a 4-3 with the pieces we have there now. (I don't like that we switched to the 3-4 because everyone was doing it, it was working because tweeners were falling in the draft because not many teams ran it then) Derrick Johnson is 29 and will provide good leadership. Houston should be a staple as well as Hali. The D-Line will probably be shaken up depending on what Dorsey and Jackson do. We have 3 nice project DT's that will be around for a while. The secondary needs a top CB to work with Flowers. Flowers is a great leader and is more than willing to help develop a young stud CB. (we need to take advantage of that). We will see how much of Berry is back next year, he isn't recovered.

There are a LOT of decisions to be made if the majority of Chiefs fans get their wishes of a clean house. What other situations would we have to be aware of outside of players age?

Question: Is there anyone on the current coaching staff that should keep a job here? A line coach or anything?

I know I'm crazy and a homer, but I still think we are a good coaching staff away from being a contender. In my heart I hoped Crennel could pull it off, but in my stomach I feared it would be Cleveland Part II. Crennel is a good coordinator, but just not a good head coach. And as we've seen from all the teams (like KC with Hayley) that signed Belichick's coordinators, that doesn't always translate into good HC.

Quote Originally Posted by azchiefsfan View Post
    I know I'm crazy and a homer, but I still think we are a good coaching staff away from being a contender. In my heart I hoped Crennel could pull it off, but in my stomach I feared it would be Cleveland Part II. Crennel is a good coordinator, but just not a good head coach. And as we've seen from all the teams (like KC with Hayley) that signed Belichick's coordinators, that doesn't always translate into good HC.

AZ we are not. We are not a contender with Cassel at QB, we have no 2nd cb, our DL looks bad, our depth pretty much everywhere on defense is awful.

In response to the OP, in a way we do need to rebuild, starts with management, new coaching staff, qb etc.. We have a lot of holes to fill

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post
    AZ we are not. We are not a contender with Cassel at QB, we have no 2nd cb, our DL looks bad, our depth pretty much everywhere on defense is awful.

In response to the OP, in a way we do need to rebuild, starts with management, new coaching staff, qb etc.. We have a lot of holes to fill
    People may not like this or agree with it, but I would have to include the O-Line in this mix as well.

I know there are many stat blogs that say to the effect "the Chiefs have the 2nd ranked O-line, etc." -- BUT, what I'm seeing when I review the games via NFL GameRewind, is their O-Line has continually gotten ran over this year and especially in critical situations. Regardless of who the QB is now or in the future, they are not going to succeed without improved pass protection.

Quote Originally Posted by MyManHali View Post

Cassel is not a first tier QB, but he isn't a bad QB. So, I will disagree. I find it funny, however, that you you try to justify your Cassel hatred that has been proven wrong up until this year by the whole team's failures. At least you had the sense to get rid of that ridiculous user name.

Cassel is not a first tier QB, but he isn't a bad QB. So, I will disagree. I find it funny, however, that you you try to justify your Cassel hatred that has been proven wrong up until this year by the whole team's failures. At least you had the sense to get rid of that ridiculous user name.

Can you show me why he should be our franchise qb? Because he has shown absolutely nothing as to why he shoul be one. He is what I thought he was, a mediocre qb who needs an excellent running game to do well. Everytime he plays a legit schedule he crashes and burns, that has been evident all 4 seasons he has been in a KC uniform. And in today's NFL, you need a franchise qb to win a SB.

If Matt Cassel was Aaron Rodgers I wouldn't dislike him. I dislike him because he isn't a starting-caliber quarterback.
    Last edited by MyManHali; 11-03-2012 at 06:32 PM.

At this point I think I can say that MMH isn't just "hating" on Cassel. Cassel isn't a good QB, period. Going beyond his stats his play shows it. His stats are misleading because some int's aren't his fault but by that respect some catches that receivers have made are insane and shouldn't have been caught. (Insert Tony Moeaki catch where he's jumped way up in the air, gone vertical and caught the ball.)

Cassel has notoriously overthrown, underthrown, put the ball in bad spots for receivers, incorrectly read defenses, fought with starting receivers on where they should be and where the ball was placed, stares down receivers, has happy feet, etc, etc. Some of that can be placed on a learning curve. Some can be placed on talent. But when it's a consistent thing year in and year out he's just not a good QB. Please don't come back with he was in a pro bowl. He went to the pro bowl, he wasn't the first selection and was an alternate.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12