Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith...

Default Alex Smith...

May well be on the chopping block this off season.

...Worth a trade??? If so, who/what???

Quote Originally Posted by Seek View Post
    Per Trent Dilfer - Andy Reid has made Alex Smith his number one priority. Apparently Andy was trying to acquire him last year in Philly, but could not get it worked out.
    Ehh..."Per Trent Dilfer". Trent says a LOT of things. Would really like to hear Reid's take on Smith first.

I think Alex Smith would represent the greatest upgrade at the QB position the Chiefs could hope to land this offseason. BUT, I would be in the boat full of people who think he would be a stop-gap until the position could be filled permanantly by another player. His small hands have always bothered me when it came to him as a "franchise QB." I just don't think consistency can be expected when the QB has hands that size. I'm only 6'1 and my hands spand a little over 10.5 inches. Alex Smith is 6'4 with hands that measure 9.3 inches... that's CRAZY! That's like cutting my fingers off at the first knuckle!! I don't see how he's been as successful as he has.

There just isn't a whole lot out there to be had in terms of QB talent. Even if the Chiefs landed Alex Smith, I'd still want them to go after Nick Foles and perhaps another kid in the 2nd round like Barkley who ran this system in college. I'd feel confident about going into next season having to choose a couple guys out of that group, Cassel, and Stanzi.

Alex Smith wants to be a starter. The only way he comes to KC is if we hand him the starting position. If we do that then we are not drafting a QB before round 3. Basically meaning we trying the same thing that hasn't worked for years again.

Yes, SF ultimately makes the trade but I can easily see them working with Alex Smith to send him somewhere he knows he will start.

Quote Originally Posted by Guru View Post
    Alex Smith wants to be a starter. The only way he comes to KC is if we hand him the starting position. If we do that then we are not drafting a QB before round 3. Basically meaning we trying the same thing that hasn't worked for years again.

Yes, SF ultimately makes the trade but I can easily see them working with Alex Smith to send him somewhere he knows he will start.
    Except for our new coach is a proven QB coach.

alex smith would be a servicable upgrade but not a solution and certainly not at the price tag. better off taking a flynn flyer or depend on the draft solution. best option maybe a matt moore to give us a year or two till the new recruit is ready.

i am still hoping alex tanney shines thru this spring. for u stat guys his were out of this world, and ya gotta luv his video. i kno it was div III but would it not be sweet if he becomes the real deal.
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I would be ok with getting him as long as we bring someone else in to have him fight for the job.

I here people compare him to Cassel I don't see that at all. Just look at the results Smith has won in the playoffs. He was doing a good job this year until he was removed. After he got a good head coach Smith started to play much better. Like we saw this year a bad head coach can really hurt a player. I think that might also be the case with Smith. Reid has done will with worse QBS then Smith
    I think Smith would be a good acquisition. He's shown over the last two seasons that with the right coach he can be effective. I'm not saying he's a franchise QB, but I think he could get by. Because here's my thinking on this. I don't feel there's a QB in the draft worthy of a #1 pick. Why not get Smith as a stop gap, trade out of our #1 pick, get some extra draft picks and get a QB in the second or third round and let Andy coach 'em up.
    Keeping my britches between the ditches! :character00182:

I've been one of those that have compared Alex Smith to Matt Cassel. But Alex Smith led the league in completion % this year. Cassel would have never done that. If we are gonna run a west coast Andy Reid offense, you want a guy like that complete those passes. Starting to think we trade for Alex Smith, draft Joeckel at LT, and tag Dwayne Bowe. Not my favorite strategy but it could work.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach View Post
    I've been one of those that have compared Alex Smith to Matt Cassel. But Alex Smith led the league in completion % this year. Cassel would have never done that. If we are gonna run a west coast Andy Reid offense, you want a guy like that complete those passes. Starting to think we trade for Alex Smith, draft Joeckel at LT, and tag Dwayne Bowe. Not my favorite strategy but it could work.

It's a lot better scenario than a suddenly injury-questionable, more expensive LT in Albert, a reach of a QB at #1 overall, and watching Bowe walk.

That being said, I think the more likely scenario will be acquiring Alex Smith, and re-signing both Albert and Bowe and then taking BPA #1 overall. If this happens, it's going to give us GREAT insight into the draft strategy and scouting department of this new regime.

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    I would be ok with getting him as long as we bring someone else in to have him fight for the job.

I here people compare him to Cassel I don't see that at all. Just look at the results Smith has won in the playoffs. He was doing a good job this year until he was removed. After he got a good head coach Smith started to play much better. Like we saw this year a bad head coach can really hurt a player. I think that might also be the case with Smith. Reid has done will with worse QBS then Smith
    Gotta agree with this. In KC, Smith would have another excellent HC in Reid that has a good track record with QB's.

BUT, whoever the QB winds up being, the receiving core must be upgraded or Baldwin must blossom and step up. And pass-protection must improve.

Page 6 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 ... LastLast