Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Alex Smith...

Default Alex Smith...

May well be on the chopping block this off season.

...Worth a trade??? If so, who/what???

Quote Originally Posted by jason1981 View Post
    Stop comparing alex smith to cassel. Alex is way better the cassel and has better stats. Alex has better stats even with more cordinaters. He was on his way to the pro bowl before he got hurt this year. And he should have went to the superbowl last year if it wasnt for their 2 special teams fumbles. I take smith over cassel anyday. Alex is capable of getting us to a superbowl. He was the reason 49ers won the last few years. Alex smith may not be elite but no way is he cassel2.0.
    Alex Smith: Comp. Att. %. Yards. Avg. TD. INT
    1,290 2,177 59.3 14,280 6.6 81 63

Matt Cassel: Comp. Att. %. Yards. Avg. TD. INT
    1,203 2,044 58.9 13,495 6.6 82 57

Career Numbers in the exact same amount of years they've played except cassel only attempted 18 passes for 215 yards in his 1st 2 years in the league. Alex Smith didn't play 2008. Not only does cassel have better #'s but in 1 less year.

Matt Cassel = 1 Pro Bowl
    Alex Smith = 0 Pro Bowls

Matt Cassel's OC's:
    2005 third string = McDaniels
    2006 on bench = McDaniels
    2007 on bench = McDaniels
    2008 starting 15 games = McDaniels
    2009 in KC = Haley
    2010 = Weiss
    2011 = Muir
    2012 = Daboll
    Total = 5 OC's in 5 years being a starter

Alex Smith's OC's:
    2005 playing 9 games = Mike McCarthy
    2006 staring = Norv Turner
    2007 starting = Jim Hostler
    2008 benched = Mike Martz
    2009 starting = Jimmy Raye
    2010 starting = jimmy raye, replaced by mike johnson 1/3 thru season
    2011 starting = greg roman
    2012 starting = greg roman
    Total = 6 OC's (you could say 7 although i'm sure mike johnson kept everything intact) in 7 years of starting.

Now lets look at this a bit deeper. Matt Cassel had 2 OC's that were known to be QB guru's, McDaniel's and Weiss. And under thos OC's he had 2 extrememly good years, 1 sent him to the probowl the other got him several accolades including

• 2× AFC Offensive Player of the Week (2008)
    • Back to back 400-yard games (2008)
    • USA Today All-Joe team (2008)

Now Alex smith had 3 OC's that are known to be QB guru's. Norv, McCarthy, and Martz, And you could even say his new HC Haurbaugh is a QB guru aswell. And smith had 1.5 good seasons before being yanked and replaced. No ProBowls and

Who's better as apposed to worth?
    alex smith due 8.5 millon in 2013
    matt cassel due 7.5 millon in 2013

Matt Cassel in 2010 > Alex Smith in 2011/12 with a good OC and putting the right system around him.

Lets compare their quote unquote probowl years shall we?

matt cassel's 2010 season :
    Year,Games Played, Attempts, Comp., Yards, TD, INT, QB Rating.....
    2010- 15- 450- 262 -3,116 -27 - 7 - 93.0

Alex Smith's 2011 season :
    Year,Games Played, Attempts, Comp., Yards, TD, INT, QB Rating.....
    2011-16- 445- 273- 61.3- 3144- 17- 5- 90.7
    2012-10- 218- 153- 70.2- 1737- 13- 5- 104.1
    Was Smith having a better year in 2012? Yes, was it going to be anything more than game manager? No

What was the 49ers strength of schedule for the 2011 season? .449
    what was the chiefs strength of schedule for the 2010 season? .414

People want the IT factor of a guy that can throw his team on his back and lead them to victory against the tough teams in this league, people ***** about cassel all the time that he can't do this and we can't take peoples backups that don't have the IT factor and can't do that.. Guess what Alex smith is the same guy people ***** they don't want.
    There is a reason he was benched. He is a game manager that has to have the right system around him, and a strong run game, just like cassel. He was benched for Kaep cause Kaep is a game changing gun slinger that can either run you to victory or throw you to victory. Neither of which alex can do. and he's proved it.

So you were saying?

Oh and for those that say Smith is a better scrambler.

Cassel's carreer #:
    Att, Yrds, Avg, TD
    168 612 3.6 3

Smith's carreer #:
    Att, Yrds, Avg, TD
    212 761 3.58 4
    Last edited by fairladyZ; 02-05-2013 at 06:29 PM.

Alex Smith is going to want a long term deal as well. I highly doubt he is going to want to come to KC to compete for a starting job on a 1 year deal.

Here's my thoughts I think that Smith isn't going to have a big group of teams trying to get him. He won't have much of a choice if the choice is even left to him and the niners don't just trade him. I will state again while there numbers might be comparable Smith was hurt by a VERY poor head coach for a good part of his time with the niners. Once they got a good head coach Smith went to the playoffs and WON in the playoffs. If it hadn't been for a muffed punt they would have been in the super bowl a year ago. Then this year Smith was amoung the top of the NFL in Rating and completion % Cassel has NEVER done either. I think Smith would be a good idea to come fight for the job. But we would need to get someone else to compete with him. At worst he would be an upgrade at backup QB.
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

Quote Originally Posted by matthewschiefs View Post
    Here's my thoughts I think that Smith isn't going to have a big group of teams trying to get him. He won't have much of a choice if the choice is even left to him and the niners don't just trade him. I will state again while there numbers might be comparable Smith was hurt by a VERY poor head coach for a good part of his time with the niners. Once they got a good head coach Smith went to the playoffs and WON in the playoffs. If it hadn't been for a muffed punt they would have been in the super bowl a year ago. Then this year Smith was amoung the top of the NFL in Rating and completion % Cassel has NEVER done either. I think Smith would be a good idea to come fight for the job. But we would need to get someone else to compete with him. At worst he would be an upgrade at backup QB.
    So Smith gets a pass because he has had terrible coaching but cassel doesn't get the same pass? Cassel in NE with Bellichick and McDaniels went 11-5 and passed for over 4000 yards and just out of a fluke he didn't make the playoffs. With a so-so coach but weiss and a staff put togeather of quality coaches he took us to the playoffs and had a probowl season. Do people not remember the weiss and haley fued a week before the playoffs? does nobody remember that weiss was pretty much out as OC at that point and even rumored that he was stripped of all duties and haley was calling the plays or atleast known that he was overriding plays????

Matt you like to say that you can't just put the blame on 1 person, just like you like to say there are more to blame on this team than cassel, like the WR's need to take some heat to. You got to have the same attitude in this situation. If you give alex a pass then you give cassel a pass.

The other thing that you guys have got to remember is alex smith is NOT going to come here to compete. He's going somewhere to start, he's going to want atleast a 5 year deal. Niners have already said they will try to trade him to a team of his choosing, if they release him it's alex's choice, and with teams like arizona, buffalo, possible philly he's not going to come to KC to compete for a spot or upgrade our backup situation.

Cassel on the other hand is nearing the end of his deal, he knows his road is coming to an end in KC and there probably won't be to many suitors for him. I'm sure he'll restructure his contract to compete with whoever else we bring in.

Again, Cassel is a better option for this team by far. And my honest opinion is he's also the better QB

Quote Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
    So Smith gets a pass because he has had terrible coaching but cassel doesn't get the same pass? Cassel in NE with Bellichick and McDaniels went 11-5 and passed for over 4000 yards and just out of a fluke he didn't make the playoffs. With a so-so coach but weiss and a staff put togeather of quality coaches he took us to the playoffs and had a probowl season. Do people not remember the weiss and haley fued a week before the playoffs? does nobody remember that weiss was pretty much out as OC at that point and even rumored that he was stripped of all duties and haley was calling the plays or atleast known that he was overriding plays????

Matt you like to say that you can't just put the blame on 1 person, just like you like to say there are more to blame on this team than cassel, like the WR's need to take some heat to. You got to have the same attitude in this situation. If you give alex a pass then you give cassel a pass.

The other thing that you guys have got to remember is alex smith is NOT going to come here to compete. He's going somewhere to start, he's going to want atleast a 5 year deal. Niners have already said they will try to trade him to a team of his choosing, if they release him it's alex's choice, and with teams like arizona, buffalo, possible philly he's not going to come to KC to compete for a spot or upgrade our backup situation.

Cassel on the other hand is nearing the end of his deal, he knows his road is coming to an end in KC and there probably won't be to many suitors for him. I'm sure he'll restructure his contract to compete with whoever else we bring in.

Again, Cassel is a better option for this team by far. And my honest opinion is he's also the better QB
    Cassel is also on this team and due to collect a big cap # next year. I think we may end up with one or the other, but definitely not both.

i am going to put it this way i hope neither of these qb's are on the roster come training camp. cassell just flat out sucks he in no way deserves another shot to be the chiefs qb. the guy panics when he even gets breathed on in the pocket(doesnt stand tall in the pocket) he also has a weak arm and doesnt take his wr reeds from high to low(finds the closest receiver possible just to get rid of the ball) no deep threat whatsover with him. and he was a turnover machine last year.

alex smith this hurts to say because being from utah. i have followed him his collegiant and nfl career. he has hit his absolute ceiling as an nfl qb. while he was at the u of u he became to acustom to urban meyer's shotgun formation. his biggest knock even 3 years into his pro career. now alex has improved in this area. and is alot better of an option than caseel. because he does stand tall in the pocket knows how to avoid initial contact(can scramble) has a stronger arm, but let's remember he has had a GREAT defense in s.f an awesome running game and a great t/e. there is an absolute reason why harbaugh tried getting rid of him in the offseason and eventually benching him for kaepernick. could he come in and win more than 2 games for us probably. but he will never get us where we need to go and that is the superbowl.

i personaly am getting tired of reading the same old book when it comes to chiefs qb's. with that book being titled other teams re tread's

i say draft a qb in this years draft if it does not work out and doesn't look promising draft another one next year. repeat the process UNTILL THEY GET IT RIGHT WE NEED AN ABSOLUTE FRANCHISE QB.

Cassel will count for 7.5 against the cap if he's kept, if he's cut we will save 5 mil against the cap. Alex smith is due for 7.5 mil and a 1 mil roster bonus, i'm not sure if we would have to pick that up. But smith knows there are teams that will pay him to start, and he wants to start, he won't come here to just be a stop gap or to compete.

Cassel on the other hand i'm sure would restructure his deal to stay here and compete as the market for him will pretty much be non-exsistent. And with andy reid being as good as he is with QB's it may just be what cassel needs, ALA what he did in NE with mcdaniels and passing for 4000+ yards and 2 back to back 400 yrd passing games. And if it wasn't for the fluke that year if they would have gotten into the playoffs with their 11-5 record i have no doubt they would have made a run to the championship.

Cassel is a proven winner. IF you put the right pieces and coaching around him, same with smith. only difference is we already have one that will come alot cheaper!

Quote Originally Posted by slc chief View Post
    i am going to put it this way i hope neither of these qb's are on the roster come training camp. cassell just flat out sucks he in no way deserves another shot to be the chiefs qb. the guy panics when he even gets breathed on in the pocket(doesnt stand tall in the pocket) he also has a weak arm and doesnt take his wr reeds from high to low(finds the closest receiver possible just to get rid of the ball) no deep threat whatsover with him. and he was a turnover machine last year.

alex smith this hurts to say because being from utah. i have followed him his collegiant and nfl career. he has hit his absolute ceiling as an nfl qb. while he was at the u of u he became to acustom to urban meyer's shotgun formation. his biggest knock even 3 years into his pro career. now alex has improved in this area. and is alot better of an option than caseel. because he does stand tall in the pocket knows how to avoid initial contact(can scramble) has a stronger arm, but let's remember he has had a GREAT defense in s.f an awesome running game and a great t/e. there is an absolute reason why harbaugh tried getting rid of him in the offseason and eventually benching him for kaepernick. could he come in and win more than 2 games for us probably. but he will never get us where we need to go and that is the superbowl.

i personaly am getting tired of reading the same old book when it comes to chiefs qb's. with that book being titled other teams re tread's

i say draft a qb in this years draft if it does not work out and doesn't look promising draft another one next year. repeat the process UNTILL THEY GET IT RIGHT WE NEED AN ABSOLUTE FRANCHISE QB.

agreed on smith, not on cassel.

Arm strength between the 2 is about the same, cassel's arm isn't great but it's not as bad as people make it out to be, his pocket presence used to be good, it's gone to **** because of bad line play and horrendous play calling so teams could pick us apart. If you want a good example of what cassel's problem is go back and watch ALL the raiders games since he's started playing here. Sometimes our O-Line is great, sometimes it's horrendous, certain teams know how to exploit our line, raiders are a good example. Cassel checks down because of the plays, his wr's not getting seperation, and our oline inconsistencies.

i say we draft a QB to, but we can't just keep drafting 1 every year unless it's late rounds. If we draft in the first 2 rounds then we are comitted to that guy for at bare minimum 2 years to develop, if we miss twice that's 4 years gone and most our young talent base careers are over.

Don't get me wrong Smith doesn't get a 100% hall pass he to takes his share of the blame in his poor play when he has played poorly but just like I have stated with Cassel the poor coaching was a factor for Smith. I said the same thing with Cassel all year. I was the one that was talking how Cassel wasn't the biggest problem with the team that the biggest problem was coaching. That coaching staff was so bad words can't do it justice.

The difference between Cassel and Smith to me is that Smith has proven that he can win in the playoffs. Cassel has not. Now That's not to say it's not possible for Cassel to but Smith showed that he can. Smith would have had his team in the super bowl last year if there wasn't a muffed punt. You can't say that about Cassel. That to me is the difference. I don't think they can bring Cassel back with the hate he got from the fanbase. Some fair some unfair IMO. I just don't think it would be best for either the Chiefs or Cassel to put him back in that spot
    TopekaRoy is my hero!

No trade unless it involves a better deal for us, pick up as a free agent! Yes!

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast