Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: KC and the QB Problem

Default KC and the QB Problem

This a tremendous read by a NFL Draft nut Eric Stoner (@ECStoner on Twitter). It basically supports what I've been trying to say (we need to take a QB round 1).

The summary is he groups quarterbacks into 4 tiers. The top 2 tiers pretty much consist of the best quarterbacks in the league. Tier 3 he describes as "good enough to not get replaced" and tier 4 is the Brady Quinn's of the world.

Of the 13 QBs in the top 2 tiers, 11 of them were first round draft picks. The only two were Drew Brees (1st pick in the 2nd round) and Matt Schaub (3rd round).

The Chiefs, in order to maximize their chances of getting a QBOTF (a tier1/tier2 guy) need to take a QB in the first round.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...the-qb-problem

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    It could also be like 2004 when Eli, Rivers, Ben came out. Nobody knows. Which is exactly why you have to take that shot. I don't want to be looking back on this in 2016 while the Raiders, Jaguars, and Cardinals all snag franchise QBs and the Chiefs use their first overall pick on a LB.

This is all hypothetical, but in a QB-first league, you have to be willing to take chances when it comes to the QB position.
    I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that we need a qb. A case can be made that we draft the best player in the draft number while still being able to draft back up to get a qb we need as I see it there's a high likelihood of good qbs being available.

It just freaking sucks we get the number one pick when there's no one really worthy. Bill polian got the shaft. He got it right one crappy season to secure 10 to 15 years of success. 2 franchise qbs back to back and the dude got fired.

It could also be like 2004 when Eli, Rivers, Ben came out. Nobody knows. Which is exactly why you have to take that shot. I don't want to be looking back on this in 2016 while the Raiders, Jaguars, and Cardinals all snag franchise QBs and the Chiefs use their first overall pick on a LB.

This is all hypothetical, but in a QB-first league, you have to be willing to take chances when it comes to the QB position.
    the expectations on manning and rivers were to be franchise QBs, even ben was considered to be a solid starter, not so w/this years crop. no we don't sit on our hands and hope for a QB to fall from the sky. we get a good GM w/a good scouting staff to find us the best QB in late first or early 2nd round while we use our first pick for the best available player to fill another need, CB, DE, ILB etc,
    Official Chiefs Crowd Historian

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    the expectations on manning and rivers were to be franchise QBs, even ben was considered to be a solid starter, not so w/this years crop. no we don't sit on our hands and hope for a QB to fall from the sky. we get a good GM w/a good scouting staff to find us the best QB in late first or early 2nd round while we use our first pick for the best available player to fill another need, CB, DE, ILB etc,

....and there you have it. Perfect answer!

Quote Originally Posted by chiefnut View Post
    But then you're saying "don't take the best QB." With the 1st pick in our hands, I don't agree with that.

But then you're saying "don't take the best QB." With the 1st pick in our hands, I don't agree with that.
    But if the best QB draft pick is rated to be picked 15-20 spot do you want to grab him with the first and have everyone say with the first picks the Chiefs reached again and drafted QB so and so?

Quote Originally Posted by N TX Dave View Post
    But if the best QB draft pick is rated to be picked 15-20 spot do you want to grab him with the first and have everyone say with the first picks the Chiefs reached again and drafted QB so and so?
    Absolutely! I am also of the opinion that Geno Smith and even Matt Barkley can be successful in this league though. With either of them, we get accurate passers with good (Geno w/ more of a cannon) arms. Of course you still have to develop these guys, but either will be a significant upgrade over what we have and ever over what will be available in free agency.

QB can't do s*** when the recievers can't catch a ball or tip in the air for an INT. But if we reach we end up with an awesome QB ...or a Jamarcus Russell

Absolutely! I am also of the opinion that Geno Smith and even Matt Barkley can be successful in this league though. With either of them, we get accurate passers with good (Geno w/ more of a cannon) arms. Of course you still have to develop these guys, but either will be a significant upgrade over what we have and ever over what will be available in free agency.
    Barkley and Smith will not be good qb's in the NFL. Period.
    SHUT IT

Quote Originally Posted by Bike View Post
    Barkley and Smith will not be good qb's in the NFL. Period.
    Ok, well discussion over then.

Ok, well discussion over then.
    Trade down for more picks and get Wilson, Bray, or McClarron - much better alternatives with all the holes we have on this team.
    SHUT IT

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast