Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: KC and the QB Problem

Hybrid View

Default KC and the QB Problem

This a tremendous read by a NFL Draft nut Eric Stoner (@ECStoner on Twitter). It basically supports what I've been trying to say (we need to take a QB round 1).

The summary is he groups quarterbacks into 4 tiers. The top 2 tiers pretty much consist of the best quarterbacks in the league. Tier 3 he describes as "good enough to not get replaced" and tier 4 is the Brady Quinn's of the world.

Of the 13 QBs in the top 2 tiers, 11 of them were first round draft picks. The only two were Drew Brees (1st pick in the 2nd round) and Matt Schaub (3rd round).

The Chiefs, in order to maximize their chances of getting a QBOTF (a tier1/tier2 guy) need to take a QB in the first round.

http://www.rotoworld.com/articles/cf...the-qb-problem

I also came across this exchange between he and another guy I follow. Not saying he's the end all, know all, but I do respect his opinion:

DISCUSS!
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-29-2012 at 04:32 PM.

I'm okay with trading down if those QBs don't look like top 5 picks

Just because a man is drafted in the first round does not guarantee him to be a top tier QB. No sense in reaching for what isn't there.

Just because a man is drafted in the first round does not guarantee him to be a top tier QB. No sense in reaching for what isn't there.
    Agreed. They're all risks at some point. We might as well try drafting two qb's. It sucks that we're going to be drafting in a year that does not have any standout QB's.

My hope is that we're able to get the GM/HC situation lined out, and fast. That will go a long in determining what's going to happen in the draft.

Geno Smith is a top 10 maybe top 5 talent at a stretch in my opinion, as others have mentioned its a bad year to be needing a quarterback and having the number 1 pick.

As I have said on many occasions (even before he has done well in Seattle) Russel Wilson would have been a great 3rd round pick and a good starting quarterback in last years draft which was deep when it came to qb's.

Quote Originally Posted by reded View Post

I think you're missing the point of the article though. It's basically saying you have to get really really really lucky to find a gem at QB outside of the 1st round.

Quote Originally Posted by Lewis_Chiefs View Post
    Geno Smith is a top 10 maybe top 5 talent at a stretch in my opinion, as others have mentioned its a bad year to be needing a quarterback and having the number 1 pick.

As I have said on many occasions (even before he has done well in Seattle) Russel Wilson would have been a great 3rd round pick and a good starting quarterback in last years draft which was deep when it came to qb's.
    Ugh...we took Stephenson 1 pick before Wilson. As a Wisco and Chiefs fan, this breaks my heart. Don't even get me started.

The good news though is that Stephenson looked very solid at LT Sunday. He gave up 1 QB hit and faced Dumervil and Von Miller all day. I'm very excited for him and am really curious what happens with Albert this offseason.
    Last edited by Ryfo18; 11-29-2012 at 07:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryfo18 View Post
    I think you're missing the point of the article though. It's basically saying you have to get really really really lucky to find a gem at QB outside of the 1st round.

Ugh...we took Stephenson 1 pick before Wilson. As a Wisco and Chiefs fan, this breaks my heart. Don't even get me started.

The good news though is that Stephenson looked very solid at LT Sunday. He gave up 1 QB hit and faced Dumervil and Von Miller all day. I'm very excited for him and am really curious what happens with Albert this offseason.
    Yeah the OL looked good Sunday miller has been ripping it up. Stephenson I thought played very very well.

I don't see how they think te'o is gonna be a failure. He has great speed to keep up with Rbs and has the size to cover tight ends. He is a once in a lfetime player. He's gonna be a Heisman finalist playing ILB. He was a top 15 pick last year stayed for a year and has keyed some of the best stands in the college game. I think it's ludacris to not say he is the best player in college football right now. And at 6 ft 2 in and 255 lbs explain to me how he can't succeed in the NFL.

If smith has a terrific combine then I say go for it but if he continues to drop and is 10 or lower on draft boards then Manti is the choice if we can't trade down.

SI did a spread on him and his personal success out weighs his football success greatly. He lost his grandma and girlfriend within a day of each other, during the season mind you. Mentally tough doesn't even begin to describe this young man.

Exactly, just because you draft a qb in the first doesn't make him a guaranteed success. I'm not arguing that we need a qb, but reaching for another player who shouldn't have been taken that early will hurt us regardless of if it's a qb or not. And who's to say Gino doesn't become our next reach that doesn't pan out??
    Doing my best to keep my sons memory alive!!!

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast